Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2006, 01:59 AM   #1
coolblue
coolblue began at the beginning.

Thumbs down My 30 hour with the Reader

I have to say I tried very hard to love the Sony Reader. But string of bad lucks with Sony and the Reader have really hurt my confident level about the quality of Sony products.

OK, to start, I was just hair late of getting the order in to be one of the first batch. But I did order quickly through Sonystyle.com and waited patiently for 3 weeks. I had ordered the Reader as well as the case, but I cancelled the case after finding out the Reader actually includes one. During the three week, I come here to feed myself, drooling over those lucky ones already got it and loving it. Two weeks into the wait, I got an email from Sonystyle saying that the Reader will be shipped out around the 6th and I should be checking the status page there. I went there, and status showed that the Reader order has been cancelled! What?!#$. I called Sony and inquired about it, and the lady promised me that the order will go thru.
So Yesterday, I was happily surprised to receive the freshly minted Reader at my doorstep! Holy cow, that was quick. I think I must unpacked this thing in record time and before too long I was ordering my second ebook online... so far so good (except my Dell latitude would not read the connect CD so I have to use my desktop to transfer the file).
Things just turned from excellent to not so good when I wake up this morning and turn on my Reader and saw this white line across the top of the screen!!!, I knew this is not good at all. Tried everything I knew,reset, page up and down, reset again, .... stayed on the phone and on support chat line with someone who probably never touched a Reader. After few hours of this, I have to give up on this particular Reader and decided to return the thing. Remember I mentioned that my order status in a
cancelled state? Well, I can't just return it since according to the web I have cancelled my order! Damn, another call to sonystyle, at this point, it's anything but stylish. The guy did promise me to file a manual RMA for me, we'll see.
Still not giving up yet, I call the local Borders store and found out that they just got six Readers in stock. Wow, I could just drive there and brought it afterall without any wait, what a concept! Got to the Borders afterwork, and asked for the Sony Reader, well the clerk handed my the San Diego Reader, this reader is lot less costly (free). After repeating myself about the which 'Reader' I really wanted. I was finally handed over another fresh Sony Reader. Got home and checked for any signs of abnormallities. The screen is perfect, good so far (but I've been here before). I then tried to download the books I have purchased before. Some how Sony Connect software would hang everytime I plug this new Reader in. So what's going on, is it because I have previously installed my first Reader? But then I remembered that I could have up to 5 Readers +PC
allowed, so this should be ok. Any how, I have tried, 1) removed connect sw, reinstalling it three times. 2) de-activated the first reader 3).tried on second PC. non of which worked.
By this time, I am just really tired. I think in the process of rushing this product to customers, Sony have forgotton about quality control. Which is no different than the Notebook battery problem they had.
I thank you for reading throught my account of my 30 hours with the Reader. Instead of the Sony Reader, I'm probably be reading the San Diego Reader. It's shame, since during the 3 weeks of waiting, I was busy reformatting my documents to fit into the Reader screen size. P.S. the Connect Software truely sucks.
coolblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:15 AM   #2
gdxf
Enthusiast
gdxf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Just a possible solution that you may try, I don't know if it works though: whenever I have to reinstall the connect software as I have done so quite a few times because of its high instability, I'll make sure (before another clean installation) I delete the following directory to make the reinstallation work.

C:\Documents and Settings\your name\Local Settings\Application Data\Sony Corporation
gdxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2006, 02:21 AM   #3
coolblue

gdxf, thanks for the suggestion. I didn't know that the folder you have mentioned. However, I did try to install the software on a different pc. And the fact that one Reader would connect via USB no problem and the other one just will not connect points to me that there is a problem. sigh.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:25 AM   #4
jmdor
Enthusiast
jmdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle; ex-Sony PRS500
Now granted that I'm using parallels, which is not quite the same thing, but I have to reboot every time I try to connect the reader. First time works, then every subsequent time you need to sync data, I need to reboot, or the reader is not recognized anywhere on the system.

I'm sorry about your problems -- you seem to mainly be having problems with the admittedly inferior software now. Any chance you have a near-virgin pc around that you can try it on (Hypothesis: some already-installed program is conflicting with the connect software)?
jmdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:51 AM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Apart from all the surrounding mishaps you've encountered, do you like the reader?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2006, 09:59 AM   #6
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Ouch, did Sony give you any clue what the deal with the white line is? I haven't heard of many (any?) bad out of the box readers here.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:42 AM   #7
coolblue

I rebooted my notebook at least ten times (took forever to do just that), tried on all four USB ports. Go back and forth between the two Readers (one would talk to my PC one would not).
The white line did not come right the way, and it's like someone drew a line on every page of every book you have, it's bad. I could tolerate the stuck pixels on my TV, but not this one.
The reason I am somewhat angry is that I really really like the Reader for what it does, that is, like a book. I enjoy holding it with one hand, my left thumb falls naturally on the page button...., and I thought, this is going to make me a better reader because I'm going to read much more than before. I would suggest parents who wants to buy IPODs for their kids switch to the Reader.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
WOW talk about "Snake Bit!"

I connect my Reader through a powered hub. Computer recognizes the Reader everytime. I have never had to reboot the reader after connecting to the computer. Only time I had to reboot was when I tried to enter my screen lock code, while it was paused in its read cycle.

No white line either. Yeah time to go to the San Diego Reader for sure
SoCal Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:32 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You might try doing a Hard Reset, coolblue -- I had some initial trouble registering my Reader, and an HR took care of it.

Instructions here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8118

I'm really sorry it's being so uncooperative for you.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:30 PM   #10
coolblue

Yeah, I tried Hard Reset on both of Readers, neither have recovered.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:10 PM   #11
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

For what it's worth, I've never had to reboot between plug-ins either. IBM T41 laptop.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:39 PM   #12
sarahw2275
Connoisseur
sarahw2275 began at the beginning.

I also have the white line on my reader, I've posted on this forum about it before, but as I live in the UK and had it sent over I'm not able to send it back!! I love the reader (except for this problem) so I don't want to give up on it!
sarahw2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:03 PM   #13
coolblue

Hi Sarah, I did read your post on the white line (your is on the bottom) and have tried all the suggestions. The second Reader had different problem altogether won't talk to any PC. If I could only combine the two to the the perfect functional Reader, I would be a happier guy here. I'm glad that you can live with the line, but I have hard time accepting it. I am still for the Reader, if I can get one that functions. Cheers.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:48 PM   #14
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
The solid white line definitely sounds like a manufacturing defect--the E-ink screen has to plug into the rest of the Reader's internals, and wire on the connector is broken, or one of the pins on the connector is not contacting its partner correctly. You should be able to return it under the warranty rules.

As for the second Reader, I'd try installing Connect on another (third) PC, then plug the Reader in. Maybe you should create a new account on Connect with another email address.

Does anyone else have two Readers to try on the same Connect account?

-William
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #15
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Your story is frustrating, admittedly, but it's very little to do with the Reader and more to do with Sony! Imagine that your purchase had gone okay and you'd not had the white line. Quite possible you would have had a different experience.

I understand how you feel, though. All those things add up to a general dislike of the product. All of it is part of the experience and it's a shame you've had to go through that.

Surely, I hope you will get a good one and can report back.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote