Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #91
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgabo View Post
Restart calibre and try again with a book that your are not transfer previously to your kindle.

Check that the plugin is installed in preferences - plugins

PLEASE BE CAREFUL. THIS IS JUST A TEST AND NOT A FINAL WORK. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Ah, yes, I got it to work. I think what I did wrong is that I didn't bother reconverting it with the [EBOK] tag in the "personal Doc Tag." That step seems to still be necessary. Thanks!
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #92
elgabo
elgabo doesn't litterelgabo doesn't litter

Device: kindle 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontcathy View Post
Ah, yes, I got it to work. I think what I did wrong is that I didn't bother reconverting it with the [EBOK] tag in the "personal Doc Tag." That step seems to still be necessary. Thanks!
Good to know
elgabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #93
boh_1
boh_1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
This seems to be working very well. I've tried this on about 30 books that weren't showing a cover after being sideloaded. All show up now with a cover and no Personal tag.

Thanks for your work here!
boh_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #94
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Awesome! What did you end up doing with conversion size? Did you go for fixed dimensions or Change width and compute height to keep proportional?

EDIT: Based on the code at the link it looks like he sets the height to 330 but does not change the width so my guess is that it maintains aspect ratio and the heights will all be the same with some variation in the width. Great solution!

EDIT2: Confirmed that aspect ratio is preserved. I prefer all my covers to be the same so I added the following line to the end of the python script in the zip file in order to ignore aspect ratio and make the cover 216 width and 330 height.

Quote:
THUMBNAIL_WIDTH = 216

Last edited by Greg G; 10-14-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #95
elgabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
...Confirmed that aspect ratio is preserved. I prefer all my covers to be the same so I added the following line to the end of the python script in the zip file in order to ignore aspect ratio and make the cover 216 width and 330 height.
All my cover are the same, Why your cover not? this is weird.

@boh_1: Great!!!
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #96
Greg G
Groupie

Quote:
All my cover are the same, Why your cover not? this is weird.

@boh_1: Great!!!
The heights are the same but the widths vary. Since you set a fixed height but not a width Calibre shrinks the picture proportionally. By setting both the height and width Calibre shrinks the picture to that height and width. For example, using your version one cover was reduced to 201x330 and another was 205x330. With mine they are always 216x330.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #97
elgabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
...Since you set a fixed height but not a width Calibre shrinks the picture proportionally. ...
As far as I know this is not fixed but maximum.

I'm glad anyway that is working for you.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #98
Greg G
Groupie

Quote:
As far as I know this is not fixed but maximum.

I'm glad anyway that is working for you.
I didn't do any research to figure this out so not sure what the documented behavior is. I just guessed that if THUMBNAIL_HEIGHT was a setting then THUMBNAIL_WIDTH would be one too. It may be that you are right about the maximum thing but perhaps it means that if you have a cover that is smaller than the specified values it will not stretch it to make the cover larger.

Anyway, thanks again for doing the real work and putting together the plugin. It was fun to hack in a minor change and really cool that it worked!
Old 10-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #99
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Thanks much elgabo. This plug-in is very much appreciated.

Last edited by JoHunt; 10-15-2012 at 01:57 PM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #100
affa
Connoisseur
affa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
hmm. i guess i'll try testing this with the ipad's kindle app, where i've found it impossible to get images for my personal docs. will report back, after banging my head against the wall a few more times.
affa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #101
affa
Connoisseur
affa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheese

ok, before I wreck my library... i just need to be sure of how to do this correctly.

I'm not going to a paperwhite, but the Ipad kindle app.

How do I safely resize the thumbnail from within Calibre to test this? For example, I'm currently looking at metadata for a book which has a cover image of 326x500. I suppose I could copy that to a folder, then resize, then paste back into calibre, re-convert to be safe, then upload to device... but doing that for all my books seems like a nightmare... not to mention, I'm not sure if I should be resizing the main image or if calibre stores a thumbnail somewhere or something.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #102
Sparticuz
Sparticuz can extract oil from cheeseSparticuz can extract oil from cheeseSparticuz can extract oil from cheeseSparticuz can extract oil from cheeseSparticuz can extract oil from cheeseSparticuz can extract oil from cheeseSparticuz can extract oil from cheeseSparticuz can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Calibre seems to have fixed all the issues with the latest update. I'm not sure about the ipad, but for us, we can now used the Paperwhite Output Profile and everything works correctly.
Sparticuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #103
affa
Connoisseur

hmm. okay. i guess i will
1) email a book not currently on ipad to see if it works.

if not,
2) reconvert, then email

and... hope. because this has been dogging me for months. i spent days getting all my covers in order, and not having them on my ipad is killing me.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #104
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@affa: It has nothing to do with thumbnail sizes in the MOBI. If you want thumbnails to show up on your ipad, follow the instructions in:

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....or-android-etc

or send the book by email, in which case amazon will mark it as a personal doc for you.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #105
affa
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@affa: It has nothing to do with thumbnail sizes in the MOBI. If you want thumbnails to show up on your ipad, follow the instructions in:

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....or-android-etc

or send the book by email, in which case amazon will mark it as a personal doc for you.
Thanks for the feedback; i'd read that faq before but still am struggling.

So if I want them to show up under books, and not personal docs, I should

1) set “Enable sharing of book content” true
2) reconvert my library, if i understand correctly? (mobi to mobi)
3) load it via usb rather than email? (never done this before, will read up on it)