Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #931
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I wonder how many people are going to find and/or use the Fullscreen Cover Stretch on the Sleep&Power menu...
I didn't see it - it was activated anyway, so there were no changes and therefore I didn't see it. Not sure if I like the tiny cover I get if it's deactivated.

If that would get rid of the cover bug... but it doesn't, unfortunately..
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #932
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Despite murg's bricking experience at second attempt to install 2.1.1, I tried again. This time, installing over 2.0.0 instead of 2.0.2, it worked! Yay!

System fonts are back to normal... But indeed the cover stretch doesn't seem to do anything

Oh well, page turns are fast again so I'll go do some reading!

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 08-27-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Typo
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #933
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
But indeed the cover stretch doesn't seem to do anything
It does - you get a smaller cover if you deactivate the option. So "cover stretch" was always the default...
Old 08-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #934
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Just updated to 2.1.1.
The update went smoothly just like all the other updates (for me).
Page turning in sideloaded epubs is way faster than the 2.0 release. I'd say it's just as fast as previous versions (1.7.x?)

Also, I could be imagining it, but the text selection tool seems more responsive and easy to use.

Thank you, Kobo team. =]
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #935
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
I've tried updating to the 2.1.1 firmware twice now and it's not worked. You just toss the contents of the zip right into the root folder of the Kobo Touch and turn off and on the device right?
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #936
Jaden
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchtray View Post
I've tried updating to the 2.1.1 firmware twice now and it's not worked. You just toss the contents of the zip right into the root folder of the Kobo Touch and turn off and on the device right?
The unzipped files have to go into the .kobo folder, not the root.

And then you have to eject the device from you computer and the Kobo should update itself. No turning off and on or anything...

Last edited by Jaden; 05-17-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #937
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
The inzipped files have to go into the .kobo folder, not the root.

And then you have to eject the device from you computer and the Kobo should update itself. No turning off and on or anything...
Duh, I've done it many times in the past I can't believe that slipped my mind... It's updating now, Thanks!

Edit: Looks as though I've got a bunch new fonts and my fav Feldbridge (*sp?) is now missing...

Last edited by Lunchtray; 08-27-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #938
Jaden
Evangelist

Quote:
Duh, I've done it many times in the past I can't believe that slipped my mind... It's updating now, Thanks!

Edit: Looks as though I've got a bunch new fonts and my fav Feldbridge (*sp?) is now missing...
I tend to wonder where the update goes, too... or if it was .fonts or fonts for that matter.

Some fonts are gone. I installed them manually (from a file someone created), but that does not seem to work anymore with 2.1.1 ... Felbridge, Times New Roman and Delima are gone (or at least missing from the Japanese release...).
Old 08-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #939
Lunchtray
Connoisseur

Quote:
Some fonts are gone. I installed them manually (from a file someone created), but that does not seem to work anymore with 2.1.1 ... Felbridge, Times New Roman and Delima are gone (or at least missing from the Japanese release...).
Anyone, have a zip of the missing fronts from 2.1.1? Is it possible to pull them from another Kobo? If so I guess I can try to get them off my wife's non-updated Kobo Touch.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #940
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
I liked the gear better, though - but that's really not important at all.
Yeah me too... Although the lines maybe make more sense as the icon doesn't go STRAIGHT to settings... But still, cog wheel was nice. I also find it rather weird to have an unbalanced top of the screen (one item left, three right), but oh well.

Quote:
It does - you get a smaller cover if you deactivate the option. So "cover stretch" was always the default...
Ah right... What on earth would I want even smaller covers for?!

But I love that reading functionality is back to perfect and that the clock turns up in the menu when reading
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #941
Jaden
Evangelist

Quote:
Anyone, have a zip of the missing fronts from 2.1.1? Is it possible to pull them from another Kobo? If so I guess I can try to get them off my wife's non-updated Kobo Touch.
I have it, but trying to install the fonts with that does not work - that was what I meant.

Maybe they changed something in the firmware that prevents it?

You could extract all of the files except for the fonts from an older installation file... maybe they work if you put them in the fonts folder instead of putting the .tgz with the fonts in the .kobo folder.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #942
Jaden
Evangelist

Quote:
Yeah me too... Although the lines maybe make more sense as the icon doesn't go STRAIGHT to settings... But still, cog wheel was nice. I also find it rather weird to have an unbalanced top of the screen (one item left, three right), but oh well.
Yeah, well... they make more sense in a way, but still... I just liked the other icon more (but can of course live with the other one ).

It's a little strange that it's unbalanced, but at least there's not chance to hit the wrong icon now - because the other two on the right don't do anything.

But maybe they will shift one of these icons to the left - though which one? Before, it was more logical - icons that actually "did" something when hitting them were on the left, the information icons where on the right...

They could maybe put the search function under the three lines as well and shift them to the left. That would unclutter the book menu a little and add more sense to the three lines... and how often does one need to search another book while reading?

Would still be unbalanced, though... and I don't really mind either way. There are things I'd care for more (like more tap zone options - can't say that often enough ).

Quote:
Ah right... What on earth would I want even smaller covers for?!
Hmm... maybe you don't want blurry covers and prefer them to be small rather than that?? Or maybe because there's nothing covering parts of the picture because it's so small?

I prefer the larger covers myself, but well... it doesn't hurt to have the option.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #943
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Looking forward to the official US release. 2.1.1 sounds like what 2.0.0 should have been.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #944
antxc
antxc began at the beginning.

Is it safe to upgrade the firmware before it is officially released via Kobo Desktop? Is there anything to be careful of when doing so? I am very new to this - only had my Kobo for a week - but I am super keen to upgrade the firmware if it fixes the slow page turns. I am currently on 2.0.0 if it makes any difference.

Last edited by antxc; 08-28-2012 at 12:13 AM. Reason: typo
antxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #945
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Frankly I would wait...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote