Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-27-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
Tensor Full Spectrum Book Light

One try and I've got the (almost) perfect booklight for my Cybook. I have a Tensor full spectrum floor lamp for reading, so when I spotted this little Tensor book light in Staples for a reasonable $14.99, I snapped it up in a second. Staples doesn't seem to have it in their online catalogue, unfortunately, but I did find the same one (albeit with some extra accessories, like an AC power adaptor and carrying case) on QVC, either singly or as a pair. The only drawback that I can see is possibly the weight, since it takes three AA batteries (which, after three long evenings of use, are still going strong, and the alkalines I'm using are cheap Rayovacs, which I find better value-for-money than Energizers or Duracells). I don't have any problem with the weight (either with a pbook or my Cybook), but I gave one of these lights to my mom for Christmas and she found that, with a hardcover pbook, she needed to use a pillow behind the book as a support for longterm comfort.

My only other observation/concern with this, or any other clip-on for that matter, is that it's going to mark the leather cover. When I removed the light, there was a definite indentation in the padding of the front cover (which I'd folded back and attached the light to). The indentation gradually faded over the next little while, but I'm concerned that it will eventually become permanent, with repeated usage of the clip.

If anyone's interested, I can try to take & post some photos of the light in use. The gooseneck makes it ultra-positionable and the length of the light itself gives extremely even coverage.
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
SUSGOD
Connoisseur
SUSGOD began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre-eBook reader PRO
Tensor Gooseneck Book Light

This ad says it weighs 2.3 pounds.
http://www.amazon.com/ACE-TRADING-LT...xp_grid_pt_1_2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcalder View Post
SNIP
The only drawback that I can see is possibly the weight, since it takes three AA batteries (which, after three long evenings of use, are still going strong, and the alkalines I'm using are cheap Rayovacs, which I find better value-for-money than Energizers or Duracells). I don't have any problem with the weight (either with a pbook or my Cybook), but I gave one of these lights to my mom for Christmas and she found that, with a hardcover pbook, she needed to use a pillow behind the book as a support for longterm comfort.
SNIP
SUSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSGOD View Post
Nope, that's a completely different light. Just compare that one - very bulky looking, with a round shade - with the ones in the QVC links in my original post - slender and delicate-looking, with long, narrow shades. The QVC ones look exactly like mine, except that mine didn't come with any accessories and I really don't see where a power adaptor would even plug into it.

The model number on this one is 17161-000. It's a Tensor "Portable Multi Functional Natural Daylight Lamp", featuring "Vision Max Natural Daylight Lighting". Tensor is a brand of Catalina Lighting. The bulb's a 2.5 watt CCFL, not Halogen.

My scale's not very accurate for really lightweight things, but this light is definitely under 1/2 pound (with 3 AAs; without them, my scale won't register its presence). It and the Cybook are very close in weight. The two of them together tip the scale at just under one pound.

Here's several pictures. The contrast between the light level nearest the bulb and further away is rather exaggerated by the camera, unfortunately. The brightness across the screen is really much more even than the camera causes it to appear in the first picture in particular. The last picture is just to give an idea of exactly what the light looks like and how far the gooseneck can be extended (in contrast to the in-use photos, where the gooseneck is bent to bring the light as close to the Cybook as possible, in order to reduce light leakage to the surrounding area, as one would prefer when trying not to disturb one's companion).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cybook_tensor1sm.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	8496   Click image for larger version

Name:	cybook_tensor2sm.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	8497   Click image for larger version

Name:	cybook_tensor3sm.jpg
Views:	879
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	8498   Click image for larger version

Name:	cybook_tensor4sm.jpg
Views:	911
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	8499  
Old 01-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Really useful post! Thanks for sharing with us. I'll have to go look for the light.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
These Full-Spectrum lights seem to be very good for e-ink, and I'm glad to see another one crop up. Especially at about 1/2 to 2/3 the price of the ones we've seen previously.

If anyone does find a link for buying this rascal on-line, please do post it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2008, 11:38 PM   #6
dcalder
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
If anyone does find a link for buying this rascal on-line, please do post it.
The two links in the original post are to QVC's online shopping site, and I'm (reasonably) certain that's the same light - well, as certain as I can get when it doesn't list the model number. However, the QVC "extras" like the adapter and case do jack up the price, unfortunately - though the price for the set of two isn't too bad a deal.

If anyone really wants one - sans case and adapter - I could check and see if the local Staples store has any left, I suppose. (Err, the Staples store in question is in Windsor, Ontario, Canada, in case that's of significance to anyone reading this.)
Old 01-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcalder View Post
The two links in the original post are to QVC's online shopping site, and I'm (reasonably) certain that's the same light....
Ah, yes, thanks for pointing that out -- I missed the links the first time.

I love the toggle switch!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:56 AM   #8
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle III, Kobo Glo, Samsung Galaxy SIII
I use one of these if I'm on the go, little less bulky, battery lasts months:

http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=256
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:04 PM   #9
gorman81
gorman81 began at the beginning.

Device: cybook g3
Smile reading light

hi
have a look at http://www.biggerandbrighter.com/boo...FQP4lgodskXcaA

they have a range of LED reading lights - I got the Lightwedge from a shop in York UK and it works well - takes 4 AAA cells - spec states 40 hours life

cheers
gorman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:49 AM   #10
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
I have tried the LightWedge Paperback LED Book Light with my Cybook gen3 and in my experience it does not work particular well because of the size not the LightWedge is to big and the batteries get in the way.

The concept is promising, but a bespoke edition made for 6 inch ereaders / readpads is needed for this to work.

Edit: I use the
Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 DUAL SUPER LED and its works very good!

Last edited by Prospect; 02-22-2008 at 02:54 AM.
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:17 AM   #11
gorman81
gorman81 began at the beginning.

Device: cybook g3
Smile lightwedge

prospect
i agree that the lightwedge is not ideal for the cybook although it works ok if you rest the battery compartment over the top edge of the cybook. the advantage that it does have is a minimal light scatter - therefore more acceptable for your partner if you read in bed. it also only cost £6 so that helps.

cheers
gorman81 is offline   Reply With Quote