Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
buckeyefan
buckeyefan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle App on Android
Cover Image for Kindle App

I recently got a tablet and was excited to load the Kindle App on it as a I have tons of ebooks that I have collected over the years in pdf format.
Even better I discovered Calibre which lets me convert to mobi format so I can highlight, add notes, etc to my books. I've even gotten the hang of outputting the pdf as html and then tagging my html to create TOC!
The only thing I'm lacking is cover image. I have searched and searched and found 1000 different responses for a bunch of different devices, none of which have worked for me. I chose my cover image in Calibre when conveting my book. I then copy the files (mobi, meta data, and cover image) to my kindle app folder (I am not using Calibre to manage my books and send to devices, just for converting). Yet no cover image. Where should I save the cover image on my device so that the Kindle App sees it? I keep reading about a "coverCache" folder, however I do not see one anywhere on my device.
thanks for any help. I've got a long road of converting to do and wanted to figure this out before I find out I have to go back and redo all my books to get the cover.

device -> Vizio Vtab1008
buckeyefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
IIRC Kovid said you need to check the box to enable sharing... under Mobi Output in order to get covers to show up (I could be wrong, but I read that somewhere). It didn't used to be that way, but something changed after an update not to long ago that made covers stop showing up like they used to.

If you want to read your PDF's without converting check out Mantano (or BlueFire or Aldiko or...) and you can read them that way. Mantano will let you highlight in multiple colors and add both typed and hand written notes.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
buckeyefan

thanks for the response. Where do i save the files at on my device? If calibre names the cover image "cover.jpg" every time (despite what the file is called) how will I be able to have other cover images.
thanks.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:05 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan View Post
thanks for the response. Where do i save the files at on my device? If calibre names the cover image "cover.jpg" every time (despite what the file is called) how will I be able to have other cover images.
thanks.
The cover image is part of the file. Books (.mobi, .prc, .azw) get placed in the Kindle folder on your device if things are working properly no other files are needed.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
buckeyefan

AHHHhhh.. it's all so clear now. I just thought that since Calibre was spitting out the metadata and cover image files in addition to the mobi file, I needed all three. Thanks for the clarification.
Advert