Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: February 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 7 7.87%
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë 8 8.99%
Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence 6 6.74%
Lady Chatterly's Lover by D.H. Lawrence 4 4.49%
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon 4 4.49%
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro 9 10.11%
A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold 8 8.99%
A Room With A View by E. M. Forster 21 23.60%
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen 15 16.85%
The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway 7 7.87%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2011, 11:08 PM   #46
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Maybe that's the problem. I gave up reading "literature" the day after graduation. Nothing but fun reading for the rest of my life. I think it ws that last semester when I had to do a last Victorian lit course that pushed me over the edge. My dislike for all things Jane Austen turned to hate. And this book struck a lot of those same nerves.

If you don't care for classics, that's definitely the issue.

I mostly read genre fiction, but I also love Dickens, DH Lawrence, and Jane Austen.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:45 AM   #47
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
"Room with a view" is a social comedy where Forster satirises over the bourgeoise narrow-mindedness of the British upper-middle class. He didn't much like that attitude himself and he is generally merciless in the way he display his characters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I think the point is that she changes.
Exactly.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #48
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Wow - some pretty harsh sentiments already.

I think it's not hard to see that the author is poking fun at the British upper classes. Before I read this, I had no knowledge of this book whatsoever. I thought it was going to be a romance, rather than a lampooning of the British uppers.

Funny thing is that I've seen slightly updated versions of Miss Bartlett in my lifetime. This makes the story far from outdated in my mind and it allows me to enjoy the roast.

However, I'm only about 20 pages or so in at the stage, so there's more to discover yet.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #49
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Shouldn't these comments wait for the discussion thread? I'm still finishing off the D'Artagnan Romances before I can get to this book.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #50
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Shouldn't these comments wait for the discussion thread?
I agree.

I'm starting the book today. I apparently have to read approximately 200 location points a day to be ready on the 20th. I have no idea what that means in real time, though. I wish there was a location number to page number converter.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #51
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Shouldn't these comments wait for the discussion thread? I'm still finishing off the D'Artagnan Romances before I can get to this book.
Yea...

Don't make my pull this thread over!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #52
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry - guys. My first book club month. Didn't realise the 20th was a strict rule.

20th is a long time to wait just to discuss the book though. I'll probably be several books down the track by the time I'm allowed to say anything. Usually my desire to discuss in detail is strongest when I'm reading or just after I've finished. The further from the book I get, the more generalised my discussion would tend to become.

Regards
Caleb
Old 02-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #53
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Sorry - guys. My first book club month. Didn't realise the 20th was a strict rule.

20th is a long time to wait just to discuss the book though. I'll probably be several books down the track by the time I'm allowed to say anything. Usually my desire to discuss in detail is strongest when I'm reading or just after I've finished. The further from the book I get, the more generalised my discussion would tend to become.

Regards
Caleb
It's not really a big deal... it happens a lot. A tip would be to write down your thoughts and musings as you read in a document somewhere... then when the discussion thread opens up you can just post your message in.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #54
caleb72
Indie Advocate

I was just thinking maybe I should read the book club book closer to the 20th, then I can just launch into the discussion as soon as I've finished.

Just a bit of lateral thinking required.

Regards
Caleb
Old 02-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Caleb, that was probably the only good passage in this stinker of a book. Unfortunately, the unbearable and intolerant little twit quickly goes right back to her prejudices. I equated Lucy with a Paris Hilton type.

Is this mess of a book supposed to be satire as well as social commentary? Where is the romance?
I figured after reading A Passage to India that Forester was a stay the heck away from author and this just proves how correct I was. I tried to warn people. Oh well. They'll just have to learn on their own.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So if A Room With a View is not romance, then why was it allowed to be voted on?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #57
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Well I just read it and it did seem to be a romance to me. The central plot line is who a girl will marry, and why.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #58
paulak
paulak will become famous soon enoughpaulak will become famous soon enoughpaulak will become famous soon enoughpaulak will become famous soon enoughpaulak will become famous soon enoughpaulak will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I figured after reading A Passage to India that Forester was a stay the heck away from author and this just proves how correct I was. I tried to warn people. Oh well. They'll just have to learn on their own.
Can't you just hold off on the comments about author/book/other works until the 20th? Please?
paulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:44 AM   #59
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
I've been made a bit apprehensive by comments saying how awful E. M. Forster's works are. I'm very much not a reader of the romance genre, but I wanted to try something new and A Room With A View sounded interesting -- romance with a good dash of social satire -- thus it got my vote. Plus, even though the genre is different, I really enjoyed Forster's short story The Machine Stops. I'm fairly optimistic that I'll enjoy A Room With a View, now that I'm getting around to starting it. Reasonable thinking, yes?
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:11 AM   #60
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
E. M. Forster is not awful at all, and I'd also say there is no question whether he's a good author or not, he is very widely considered a great author, but he's also a literary author and his works are about 100 years old - it can't be to the taste of everyone.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote