Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Any suggestions for a faster computer scan?

I've got Microsoft Security Essentials and the full scan takes three and a half hours. A MS tech once told me to download Malwarebytes scanner but to make sure to just run the scan and then dis-install the Malwarebytes. Does anybody know if the Malwarebytes scans faster? And I would need the "on-demand" version, right? And could I download that onto a flash drive and would that be sufficient so I wouldn't have to be dis-installing it every time I run a scan? And (last question I promise) if I get the on-demand one for a pen drive, do I want the "portable" version? And (okay, it was the second to last question) does anybody have a link for the exact Malwarebtes one that would fit my needs? Phew! Thanks!
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
You really shouldn't have to do full scans.

1. Don't click on *any* links in email from someone you don't know.
2. Don't click on *any* links on a webpage without having a good idea where it's taking you.
3. Be paranoid.

I've *never* had a virus on my Microsoft side in more than nearly 30 years of Windows use.

Or..

Install Linux. It'll probably do 95% of what you need and you won't have to worry about your machine being taken over...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
The "on demand" version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) is a free download. You can then pay to upgrade it to the Pro version -- which I have.

If you stick with the free version you will have to update it (just click the button) before using it (or else you'll be using an out of date database) and then run it manually. There are three levels of scans -- a flash scan (quick, but superficial), a fast scan (the one I run every day), and a full scan. On my computer (XP, with a 500 GB hard drive) a quick scan takes half an hour. A full scan takes several hours -- I run it rarely, and then set it to run overnight.

But, with the free version, if you don't specifically run it, it's not running. There is no need to uninstall it.

The Pro version does run all the time, in the background, unless you choose to stop it.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
You really shouldn't have to do full scans.

1. Don't click on *any* links in email from someone you don't know.
2. Don't click on *any* links on a webpage without having a good idea where it's taking you.
3. Be paranoid.

I've *never* had a virus on my Microsoft side in more than nearly 30 years of Windows use.

Or..

Install Linux. It'll probably do 95% of what you need and you won't have to worry about your machine being taken over...

Knowing someone is no guarantee that their email is clean. Our mail server often gives alerts regarding email sent by people who are known to us.

I have never had a virus either, (other than those I play with) but I have stopped plenty before they reached one of our systems.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The last time I ran a full scan with Malwarebytes it was 1 hour and 18 minutes. I wouldn't run MBAM instead of an antivirus program. It is meant to work in tandem with antivirus.

Check your antivirus scheduling settings. I know that some have an option to shut down after the scan is finished. Run the scan right before you go to bed and the computer will be off when you wake up.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Malware Bytes doesn't do the same thing as MSE. Both have an excellent reputation for what the do, but they aren't equivalent.

Said said, I agree the only reason to do a full scan is if you suspect there's a problem of some kind. Mots of what gets through MSE will be drive-by web viruses that are most easily gotten rid of with a system restore. After that, do a full scan to find anything system restore missed. Other than that, a quick scan should be fine 99% of the time.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
You don't have to click on a link to get a virus. Banner ads can install viruses and stuff without you actually doing anything.

Quote:
That's what I did, and haven't looked back.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
You don't have to click on a link to get a virus. Banner ads can install viruses and stuff without you actually doing anything.
Yes. Good sites can get hacked. Even major players.

I figure that I'm a bit safer because I don't have Java installed, I almost never let scripts run, and I have a scary totem pole perched atop my case.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:14 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
True, our corporate website got hacked not that long ago.
We discovered that when then trying to access some internal website, and having chrome warning about security issue as the domain had been blaklisted.

Gmail does a good job in filtering all the mess.

For the most part, if you stay away from illegal website, use a firewall, and keep your OS up to date, you're good.

I don't use an anti virus anymore. Last time i had trouble, that was because I had forgotten to run windows update on my new windows install.

And the record, windows XP own firewall do work. It was the only thing protecting my grand mother's PC. We ran a full scan when realizing that : noting.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 03-31-2013 at 04:18 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
thanks all

Quote:

Checking out Linux. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
There are three levels of scans -- a flash scan (quick, but superficial), a fast scan (the one I run every day), and a full scan. On my computer (XP, with a 500 GB hard drive) a quick scan takes half an hour. A full scan takes several hours -- I run it rarely, and then set it to run overnight.
Thanks cromag for the good explanation. What's "rarely" for those full scans though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
Knowing someone is no guarantee that their email is clean.
Good to know. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post

Said said, I agree the only reason to do a full scan is if you suspect there's a problem of some kind. Mots of what gets through MSE will be drive-by web viruses that are most easily gotten rid of with a system restore. After that, do a full scan to find anything system restore missed. Other than that, a quick scan should be fine 99% of the time.
thanks taustin. Good to know about the quick scan being good enough most of the time. So, the quick scan should identify the drive-by web viruses. Then do a system restore (which I don't know how to do--lol). Then a full scan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post

That's what I did, and haven't looked back.
Thanks. I've got to find out more about Linux. Is it that much of a defense against viruses? Is everybody using it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Yes. Good sites can get hacked. Even major players.

I figure that I'm a bit safer because I don't have Java installed, I almost never let scripts run, and I have a scary totem pole perched atop my case.
What does Java have to do with it? (I have it because it gives me these updates. I have no idea if I need it or not.) (And I'm getting a scary totem pole.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
True, our corporate website got hacked not that long ago.
We discovered that when then trying to access some internal website, and having chrome warning about security issue as the domain had been blaklisted.

Gmail does a good job in filtering all the mess.

For the most part, if you stay away from illegal website, use a firewall, and keep your OS up to date, you're good.

I don't use an anti virus anymore. Last time i had trouble, that was because I had forgotten to run windows update on my new windows install.

And the record, windows XP own firewall do work. It was the only thing protecting my grand mother's PC. We ran a full scan when realizing that : noting.
So just trust Microsoft Security Essentials to protect everything?
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks. I've got to find out more about Linux. Is it that much of a defense against viruses? Is everybody using it?
Linux is an operating system, and there are lots of variants (commonly called distributions or distros - I use Ubuntu) You use it instead of Windows, and for various reasons you're much less likely to get a virus on Linux than on Windows.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
thanks taustin. Good to know about the quick scan being good enough most of the time. So, the quick scan should identify the drive-by web viruses. Then do a system restore (which I don't know how to do--lol). Then a full scan?
Most of the drive-by are what's called "zero day exploits," which is to say, a brand new security hold that isn't in the AV definition files yet. You'll know if you get one, because stuff will be popping up on the screen, usually claiming to be anti-virus programs. A full scan probably won't detect it at that point. But an immediate system restore will usually get rid of it. Then do a full scan, and do another in a few days.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084 should show you how to do a system restore. It can take while, but it's simple. Just be sure you pick a restore point earlier than the infection.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
Linux is an operating system, and there are lots of variants (commonly called distributions or distros - I use Ubuntu) You use it instead of Windows, and for various reasons you're much less likely to get a virus on Linux than on Windows.
But note that Windows program don't run under Linux without going to some effort (and many simply won't, no matter what). It's a big step, especially if you're not sure what Linux is.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:41 PM   #14
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
But note that Windows program don't run under Linux without going to some effort (and many simply won't, no matter what). It's a big step, especially if you're not sure what Linux is.
All good points. There are equivalents for many Windows programs, though (and some run on Windows and Linux), and you could dual-boot or run from a live CD or USB to try it out.

How difficult the switch would be largely depends on what programs you currently use, how you use them and how happy you are to using something equivalent. I suspect it's more work than the OP was expecting or wanting, though
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #15
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Unless you want to, you know, run programs and stuff.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote