Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #136
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-boiled pat View Post
i have problems reading books by female authors... their characters seem to have too many problems with their feelings... so i may be biased against their books.
Pretty sweeping statement IMO. I am not big on characters languishing on with long internal dialects, but I do not feel that this is the sole domain of female writers. lots of male writers have characaters who seem to snivel on forever, James Lee Burke is one who comes to mind. I have read some books by James Patterson and his gang that seemed a bit to frou frou for my tastes as well..

To balance it out, Agatha Christie and Margerie Allingham don't go in for a lot of long winded angst.

Even Harlen Coben's Myron Bolitar can get caught up in a sea of self doubt and maudlin second guesses until he finally gives in and lets Win save the day. Still at least Coben doesn't use a female psuedonym when he feels like getting all mushy.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #137
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Pretty sweeping statement IMO. I am not big on characters languishing on with long internal dialects, but I do not feel that this is the sole domain of female writers. lots of male writers have characaters who seem to snivel on forever, James Lee Burke is one who comes to mind. I have read some books by James Patterson and his gang that seemed a bit to frou frou for my tastes as well..

To balance it out, Agatha Christie and Margerie Allingham don't go in for a lot of long winded angst.

Even Harlen Coben's Myron Bolitar can get caught up in a sea of self doubt and maudlin second guesses until he finally gives in and lets Win save the day. Still at least Coben doesn't use a female psuedonym when he feels like getting all mushy.

Helen
totally agree about burke and coben. patterson is a huge hump IMO.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #138
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

any harlan coben book = find someone whos missing
Old 08-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #139
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
totally agree about burke and coben. patterson is a huge hump IMO.
But.. but... my 87 year old mother loves James Patterson and she won't stop reading his books no matter what I say.

And casting about there areen't that many hard boiled crime writers who are obviously female. The few who exist have mainly female protaganists who are often at least slightly emotional every second Tuesday. I am fine with that but freely admit that most of my hard boiled favorite authors are male. I even read the extremely wooden Stuart Woods on occasion.

If you are feeling exceptionally adventurous one of these days, I would like to suggest S J Rozan's Bill Smith/Lydia Chin series. Maybe a bit on the light weight side for you, but I quite like them. (female author)

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #140
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Ok, LeGuin is not awful. Dreadful would be a better word and she should be outstanding in a field instead of writing the dreck she writes.
Well, there may be other people who consider Le Guin to be "dreadful", but I suspect you're on your Pat Malone, cobber.

Le Guin has received 5 Hugo awards and 6 Nebula awards, and was awarded the Gandalf Grand Master award in 1979 and the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America Grand Master Award in 2003. She received 19 Locus Awards for her fiction, more than any other author. The World Fantasy Awards presented her with Lifetime Achievement in 1995. She won the 1973 National Book Award in category Children's Books.

Le Guin was the Professional Guest of Honor at the 1975 World Science Fiction Convention. She received the Library of Congress Living Legends award in the "Writers and Artists" category for her significant contributions to America's cultural heritage. The Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association gave her a Lifetime Achievement Award in 2001. In 2004, Le Guin received the Association for Library Service to Children's May Hill Arbuthnot Honor Lecture Award and the Margaret Edwards Award. She was honored by The Washington Center for the Book for her distinguished body of work with the Maxine Cushing Gray Fellowship for Writers in 2006.

Le Guin was one of three finalists for the 1997 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

In 2002, Le Guin received the PEN/Malamud Award for "excellence in a body of short fiction."
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #141
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Well, Le Guin probably do not work if you read the books to fast which is probably what JSWolf does. Simple adventures are more suited for that kind of reading.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #142
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Not all award winning books are good.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-08-2012 at 08:33 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #143
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well, Le Guin probably do not work if you read the books to fast which is probably what JSWolf does. Simple adventures are more suited for that kind of reading.
I just don't like the way she writes.

And remember that there have been others (on MR) that have not liked what LeGuin has written other then the Earthsea series.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-08-2012 at 08:37 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #144
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

JSW taking major heat!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #145
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just don't like the way she writes.

And remember that there have been others (on MR) that have not liked what LeGuin has written other then the Earthsea series.
That's your subjective opinion, and you are, of course, quite entitled to it.
But it's not legitimate to then say that because you, subjectively, don't like her work, it must follow, objectively, that it is awful or dreadful.
It's the same as saying that what you believe must be true, simply because you believe it.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #146
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
That's your subjective opinion, and you are, of course, quite entitled to it.
But it's not legitimate to then say that because you, subjectively, don't like her work, it must follow, objectively, that it is awful or dreadful.
It's the same as saying that what you believe must be true, simply because you believe it.
Exactly. And also, I have read books that I do not like but that I realize are very good books anyway. They are just not according to my taste.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #147
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
I've only been here since January, and even I know that's JSWolf's MO.

To be honest, I'm not much of a fan of Le Guin either, so far, but I've barely read anything of hers. I'm supposed to be reading The Dispossessed right now, as part of my Hugo readthrough, but the idea didn't fill me with enthusiasm, so I started something else instead.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #148
Kindoll
Enthusiast
Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I picked up White Crow by Mary Gentle at a charity shop but I could not get into it.
It ticked all the boxes for me when I read the back too.

Quote:
any harlan coben book = find someone whos missing
This. So repetitive.
Kindoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #149
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
It recently came to my mind what the worst book I have ever read was.

When I was in high school, and later shortly after college, I enjoyed reading The Saint short stories and novels by Leslie Charteris.

I was very curious to read the first one, which was a novel from 1928 called Meet the Tiger!, but it was long out of print.

It was republished in the US in 1980, and I snapped it up. The writing was just awful. I remember wondering why any publisher would put it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Saint-Meets-Ti...Meet+the+Tiger
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saint-Meets-...5413749&sr=1-3
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:03 AM   #150
Jozawun
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
It recently came to my mind what the worst book I have ever read was.

When I was in high school, and later shortly after college, I enjoyed reading The Saint short stories and novels by Leslie Charteris.

I was very curious to read the first one, which was a novel from 1928 called Meet the Tiger!, but it was long out of print.

It was republished in the US in 1980, and I snapped it up. The writing was just awful. I remember wondering why any publisher would put it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Saint-Meets-Ti...Meet+the+Tiger
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saint-Meets-...5413749&sr=1-3
Ditto virtually all of the above.; and the next 2 or 3 were nearly as bad.
But they did get much better after that.