Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
"Best" pdb reader to check on assembled books

....for Kindle, Gen3, etc.

As some here may know, I've made quite a number of books available for the Sony Reader.

I'm now in the process of experimenting on making books available for Readers which handle pdbs.

I've downloaded Mobipocket Creator Publisher Edition and am now playing with it.

I want to Preview the book (Preview with Emulator) listed under Build, but I have no option to check it, as it's not darkened.

Basically, I just want to make certain the book is ok, before I make the title available.

I suppose I need another component of Mobipocket Creator? Or should I settle on a different pdb reader? -- This is for my laptop, as I don't have a Reader that reads pdbs.

Thanks,
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Just use Mobipocket Reader?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The is a Mobipocket eBook Reader for Windows http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...sp?Language=EN
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Just use Mobipocket Reader?
Thanks igorsk.

Just to be certain, before I download it: It doesn't hijack other ebooks NOT pdb resident on my laptop and install it's own icon, does it?

Don
Old 04-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
you should be able to choose which program is assigned to a specific file type. an easy way to do this, in windows, right-click on a file, "open with", browse to choose the program, then check the "always use this program to open this type of file." and select ok. you can still use different programs if you want (by opening them from inside the program, by dragging them onto the program icon, by using the same process "open with" again, even if you don't check "always"...) but a double-click on the file will always open it in the program you have specified.

logically, you should also be able to tell mobipocket *not* to make itself the default program for other file types, if not at the time of install, then in the preferences, but i have not checked this.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
It might be a good idea to check with FBReader also.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
It might be a good idea to check with FBReader also.
I'll do that, too. Thank you.

Don
Old 04-27-2008, 11:36 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What you want to get to read PDB is eReader. I think the Pro version might be free.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Several e-book formats can be stored in PDB files, see wiki: PDB. For PRC (MOBI) under Windows MobiPocket Reader, FBReader and uBook can all read DRM-free MOBI files.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm a little confused, Don. MobiPocket books use a ".mobi" or ".prc" extension, not ".pdb". The most common formats that use ".pdb" are PalmDoc or eReader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #11
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Harry, while MobiPocket doesn't default to it, it can read older .pdb extension eBooks. I don't think it handles the current eReader books but it does do older PalmDocs.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #12
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I want to Preview the book (Preview with Emulator) listed under Build, but I have no option to check it, as it's not darkened.
You can run the Emulator independent of Creator. Just make a shortcut that points to:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mobipocket Shared\Emulator\MobiEmulator.exe".
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don,

In order to view books you need to download and install MobiPocket Reader from http://www.mobipocket.com. You use Mobi Creator to create books; Mobi Reader to read them.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:54 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Harry, while MobiPocket doesn't default to it, it can read older .pdb extension eBooks. I don't think it handles the current eReader books but it does do older PalmDocs.
Yes, I'm aware of that, but Don is creating (I hope!) MobiPocket format books. These certainly shouldn't have a ".pdb" extension.