Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-21-2011, 05:09 AM   #1
Patricia1066
Zealot
Patricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle PW 10th gen, Kindle Fire 7 9th gen, Kindle KB 3rd gen
UK price of iPad2 is £245 on current exchange rates!

Now if only Apple would actually apply the same price in UK and USA. They will probably sell here for £439 for the basic model.

I cant get Apple to sell me an iPad2 in USA and post internationally, any ideas? Apart from a trip to USA
Patricia1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:05 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
The current Apple store US price for the cheapest iPad 2 is $499.
According to xe.com that is £307.
Now add 20% for VAT and you get to £368.
The current Apple store UK price for the cheapest iPad is £329.
I would have though it likely that Apple would do the same in the UK as the US, and sell the iPad 2 at the same prices as the iPad.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The current Apple store US price for the cheapest iPad 2 is $499.
According to xe.com that is £307.
Now add 20% for VAT and you get to £368.
Yep.

Quote:
The current Apple store UK price for the cheapest iPad is £329.
Umm, that's for the iPad1 - they've been reduced pending arrival of the new shiny...

Quote:
I would have though it likely that Apple would do the same in the UK as the US, and sell the iPad 2 at the same prices as the iPad.
Agreed; I'd be astonished (but pleased) to see any price cut due to currency fluctuations, but who knows - maybe they'll take it as an opportunity to drop the 16Gb WiFi model to £399 instead of £429 <shrug> Guess we'll find out on Friday
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, colour me astonished: UK prices announced here

Money quote:-

"Pricing & Availability
iPad 2 with Wi-Fi will be available in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK on 25 March for a suggested retail price of...

£399.00 inc VAT (£332.50 ex VAT) for the 16GB model
£479.00 inc VAT (£399.17 ex VAT) for the 32GB model and
£559.00 inc VAT (£465.83 ex VAT) for the 64GB model.

iPad 2 with Wi-Fi + 3G will be available for a suggested retail price of...
£499.00 inc VAT (£415.83 ex VAT) for the 16GB model
£579.00 inc VAT (£482.50 ex VAT) for the 32GB model and
£659.00 inc VAT (£549.17 ex VAT) for the 64GB model.

iPad 2 will be available in Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore and additional countries in April, and in many more countries around the world in the coming months. Further international availability and pricing will be announced at a later date."

Woo and hoo
Old 03-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
OK, colour me astonished: UK prices announced here

Money quote:-

"Pricing & Availability
iPad 2 with Wi-Fi will be available in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK on 25 March for a suggested retail price of...

£399.00 inc VAT (£332.50 ex VAT) for the 16GB model
£479.00 inc VAT (£399.17 ex VAT) for the 32GB model and
£559.00 inc VAT (£465.83 ex VAT) for the 64GB model.

iPad 2 with Wi-Fi + 3G will be available for a suggested retail price of...
£499.00 inc VAT (£415.83 ex VAT) for the 16GB model
£579.00 inc VAT (£482.50 ex VAT) for the 32GB model and
£659.00 inc VAT (£549.17 ex VAT) for the 64GB model.

iPad 2 will be available in Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore and additional countries in April, and in many more countries around the world in the coming months. Further international availability and pricing will be announced at a later date."

Woo and hoo
The 16G/Wifi is around $45 more than here in the States, not counting VAT?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
petermillard
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
The 16G/Wifi is around $45 more than here in the States, not counting VAT?
Yep, looks that way; a little over +9%. Seem to remember that iPad1 was around +8% here (UK) when averaged out over all the models, so it looks like they're keeping iPad2 in line, absorbing the VAT increase (20% now vs 17.5% last time) and hitting convenient price-points. To be honest, I don't think they'd have any shortage of buyers if they kept the existing prices, but it's always nice to see things getting "cheaper"
Old 03-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia1066 View Post
Now if only Apple would actually apply the same price in UK and USA. They will probably sell here for £439 for the basic model.

I cant get Apple to sell me an iPad2 in USA and post internationally, any ideas? Apart from a trip to USA
There are lots of shipping services.
Add ca. $ 40 for shipping and ca. 10% fee.
Usually you won't save any money by that, but you often can have your gadgets from the US way faster than waiting for introduction in Europe.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:17 AM   #8
Patricia1066
Zealot
Patricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle PW 10th gen, Kindle Fire 7 9th gen, Kindle KB 3rd gen
Thanks everyone for your replies. I forgot to check the price, so the heading is wrong, and I forgot about VAT here in UK.

I have decided to buy the kindle 3 so wont be following my interest in the iPad2.
Patricia1066 is offline   Reply With Quote