Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Updated Sony with new firmware

I just finished updating my 505 Reader with the new firmware and found something interesting. The new firmware lets you delete a book directly from the Reader -- no cable connection required. How? You go to the book's main menu and choose Utilities. One of the Utilities is Delete. But what is interesting is that you need to touch the icon in the middle of your screen to actually do the delete. The firmware update has made the screen a touch screen at least in this regard.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to identify my Reader with Adobe DE (which you need to download and install, too).
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
One of the Utilities is Delete. But what is interesting is that you need to touch the icon in the middle of your screen to actually do the delete. The firmware update has made the screen a touch screen at least in this regard.
Don't tease us. It's cruel.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
nindustrial
Enthusiast
nindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: PRS-T1
thats so mean, its not even april fools!
nindustrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Don't tease us. It's cruel.
I guess, Nate, it's time to upgrade to the 505 . Truthfully, I was surprised that I had to press the icon in the center of the screen to complete the delete. But what it indicates to me is that some touchscreen features could be added to the 505 via firmware updates.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
is this a joke? I'm confuzzled.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 07:44 PM   #6
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man
RandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook color, prs 505, Axim x30, psp, Acer Aspire One [running xp]
You press the bookmark button
RandallFlagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's what I assumed, although I have yet to get the new firmware. as an aside, it took me a long time to figure out what the "MARK" button is. Dumb, but there you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallFlagg View Post
You press the bookmark button
Old 07-24-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
But what it indicates to me is that some touchscreen features could be added to the 505 via firmware updates.
I'm afraid I don't think firmware updates will overcome the lack of an actual touch screen on the PRS505 ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
seajewel
Fanatic

I laughed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I'm afraid I don't think firmware updates will overcome the lack of an actual touch screen on the PRS505 ....
Old 07-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man
RandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook color, prs 505, Axim x30, psp, Acer Aspire One [running xp]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
That's what I assumed, although I have yet to get the new firmware. as an aside, it took me a long time to figure out what the "MARK" button is. Dumb, but there you go.
Not dumb...Believe me I had to look at all the buttons twice and think about pressing a non touch screen icon before I got it.

RandallFlagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:31 PM   #11
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Any word on whether the hacks remain after the firmware update, or if they have to be reinstalled? (Custom icons, clock, etc.)
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Any word on whether the hacks remain after the firmware update, or if they have to be reinstalled? (Custom icons, clock, etc.)
The hacks all have to be remade for the new firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:38 PM   #13
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Thx. I'll probably flash and live without them for a while.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:43 AM   #14
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
Question: when you delete a book on the 505, does the reader have to refresh it's entire interface?

If you delete a book using the delete-hack on the 500, the reader must refresh itself before dropping you back in the reader menu.

also, can you delete music tracks?

Thanks,
F.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:31 AM   #15
validis
validis began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
You cannot delete audio or pictures from the device .
If you delete a book then the device just goes straight back to the reader menu, and the book is gone.
validis is offline   Reply With Quote