Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur
DanielCoffey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
0.5.14 won't start on mac

Hello folks - I am a new Calibre user as of today and have come across an issue which I don't know how to troubleshoot... the application won't re-open after using it once and closing it.

I am running Calibre 0.5.14 on iMac Leopard 10.5.7 and have a new Sony PRS-505

I downloaded 0.5.14 and started the application for the first time. It correctly asked me for my password, asked where it was to put its database and successfully allowed me to add a small number of .epub and .lrf books to its library.

I connected the PRS-505 and Calibre quickly spotted it, allowed me to zap the free books that came on the PRS-505 which I had no intention of reading and successfully synched the books I had added myself.

I then told the Mac to eject the PRS and unplugged the USB cable then Cmd-Q from Calibre.

Now, when trying to open Calibre a second time (despite having restarted the Mac), the icon on the Dashboard just bounces a couple of times then stops. No window opens.

Where does Calibre store its error logs on the Mac, or is there a debug mode I can use to help track down the issue? (I am not a highly experienced command-line user, so explanations may be necessary).

Thanks for your help,

Daniel.
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
nutttmegg
nutttmegg began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
hey daniel,
could i ask you what format you purchase your books in and from where?
nutttmegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur

At the moment, I have just grabbed a few of the wonderful free ebooks from the Baen Free Library (scifi/fantasy) http://www.baen.com/library/ and FeedBooks (free older eBooks) http://www.feedbooks.com/

Baen gives a good few formats you can download in and I chose the Sony Reader .lrf where possible.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur

OK, that is interesting... I had a play in Terminal and managed to open Calibre perfectly!

When I run Calibre from the Terminal, the Application opens perfectly. When I click on the icon on the Dashboard, nothing happens.

Umm?
Old 06-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
You have to use [command]Q to quit Calibre or select Calibre --> Quit Calibre. If you just close the window Calibre is still running but without the window.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2009, 02:07 AM   #6
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur

Thanks for thinking about this problem, but I did Cmd-Q from the application and even restarted the computer. The Activity Monitor also does not show a Calibre process running.

I can now only open Calibre using Terminal, just not with the icon. I have not come across this behaviour from an application before.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:21 AM   #7
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur

I decided to completely zap the Calibre installation and re-download it as well as cold restart the computer. Apart from the preferences (which I couldn't find), I started form scratch and Calibre is now behaving as expected. I wonder if there was a stuck process that needed a reboot to clear?

Anyway - problem solved - it is now working wonderfully.

Last edited by DanielCoffey; 06-16-2009 at 03:21 AM. Reason: typos