Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-31-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Smile Apple to build giant Ipod Touch?

Gizmodo quotes several sources this AM saying that Apple will release a 7 to 9 inch version of the touch in late 2009.

Would be a much more ideal reader in terms of size.

Gizmodo
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Oooo .... I'd buy one of those!!
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
Gizmodo quotes several sources this AM saying that Apple will release a 7 to 9 inch version of the touch in late 2009.
I'm sure it will be released with the HDTV, the DVR, the Tablet and the other gadgets that Gizmodo and others have proclaimed that Apple is going to release.

Not saying it can't happen... just saying the Apple rumors always fly when Mac world is days away. 99% of these rumors turn out to be wrong.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Quote:
Not saying it can't happen... just saying the Apple rumors always fly when Mac world is days away.
Quite true. It would be a logical move, however. It could compete with netbooks and use much of Apple's already existing tech.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm sure it will be released with the HDTV, the DVR, the Tablet and the other gadgets that Gizmodo and others have proclaimed that Apple is going to release.

Not saying it can't happen... just saying the Apple rumors always fly when Mac world is days away. 99% of these rumors turn out to be wrong.

BOb
Yeah ... but look at it this way: as much as I dislike Apple, if I say I would buy something of theirs in a heartbeat, then they should pay attention. They would have a runaway hit .... with one caveat .... it really should be a 7-9 inch iPhone rather than an iTouch. Having a netbook with phone capabilities would be beyond great.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
Quite true. It would be a logical move, however. It could compete with netbooks and use much of Apple's already existing tech.
Yep. But then again... Apple isn't really about "low price" or "bargin" stuff. Which is firmly where Netbooks are aimed. The iPod is about "portability". So, a large iPod is an oxymoron such as jumbo shrimp.

We will see... 6 day's till Macworld.

BOb
Old 12-31-2008, 11:13 AM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Yep. But then again... Apple isn't really about "low price" or "bargin" stuff. Which is firmly where Netbooks are aimed. The iPod is about "portability". So, a large iPod is an oxymoron such as jumbo shrimp.

BOb
Ah, but it wouldn't be an iPod. A 7-9 inch iPhone would still be quite portable. With a headset it would be perfect for phone calls. It would still be light weight enough to pop in your purse (my purse ... you probably don't carry one). The larger screen would make web browsing easy. The larger keyboard would make two handed typing much easier. You could read on it, watch video on it with better resolution.

So what if it is priced more than most netbooks? People would still line up around the block to get one. I know I would. And, because I actively hate Apple ... when I say I would buy one, that should count for something. That would be the portable computer of my dreams! But, it would have to (and I mean HAVE TO) have 3G rather than just Wifi capability.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Ah, but it wouldn't be an iPod. A 7-9 inch iPhone would still be quite portable. With a headset it would be perfect for phone calls.
As I said... it could happen. Although, I just can't see paying $60 plus a month for phone (3G) service. Yes, I'm cheap that way. I told my wife to return the iPod touch she got me for Christmas because I already have a Gen4 iPod which does what I need. (she wasn't happy)

BOb
Old 12-31-2008, 11:19 AM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
As I said... it could happen. Although, I just can't see paying $60 plus a month for phone (3G) service. Yes, I'm cheap that way. I told my wife to return the iPod touch she got me for Christmas because I already have a Gen4 iPod which does what I need. (she wasn't happy)

BOb
$60 a month? That's cheap!! I think I pay about $110 a month for my 3G/data service.

I don't blame her for not being happy. Thank your lucky stars you didn't end up married to a whack job like me. I would have done something ghastly.

You are married to a saint!
Old 12-31-2008, 11:22 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
$60 a month? That's cheap!! I think I pay about $110 a month for my 3G/data service.
EEK!

BOb

PS: My 3G service on my Kindle is gratis!
Old 12-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #11
CCDMan

Quote:
Hmm, probably not. The rumors were saying end of 2009 - and Apple never announces until the product is shipping.

Quote:
Apple isn't really about "low price" or "bargin" stuff. Which is firmly where Netbooks are aimed. The iPod is about "portability". So, a large iPod is an oxymoron such as jumbo shrimp.
Ahh, but Macheads have never cared about price - just about cool. Yes, I would guess in the $700-$1000 price range.

Quote:
I told my wife to return the iPod touch she got me for Christmas because I already have a Gen4 iPod which does what I need. (she wasn't happy)
Seriously!? I like my touch WAY better than my classic. It does so much more with the availability of over 10,000 apps. In fact, I mainly use it for things like games, checking weather, news, stocks, and controlling an AppleTV (which acts as a media server for the house) with the "remote" app. In fact, my classic nowadays just stays plugged in to my home audio system and is seldom used. In fact, I just dumped my data plan phone and went to a simple voice prepaid (saved about $800 per year) partly due to the touch. When I travel there are enough free WiFi hotspots that I can use the touch for web and email and it is FREE.

Now don't get me wrong, I am NOT an Apple fanboy. I use a PC for most everything (We have 6 between 2 places). The only Apple stuff we have are Ipods, the Apple TV and my wife's Mac (easier for her to use than a PC).

Last edited by CCDMan; 12-31-2008 at 11:57 AM.