Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #1
bshar489
Addict
bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Fire HD8
Put to Sleep or Shut Off?

Hi; I was wondering which is better when I'm done with the Kindle, say for a number of hours or overnight--to put it in sleep mode or to completely shut it off? Is one better than the other to conserve battery power?

And also, is there a better way to charge the battery--that is, I've been recharging when it gets about half down. Is this ok or is it better at times for it to completely drain?

Thanks for your help.

Bergette
bshar489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No need to turn it off unless you're planning not to use it for weeks or months at a time.

Lithium Ion batteries such as the Kindle uses don't mind being "topped up". It really doesn't matter (as far as the battery life goes) whether you recharge it when it's 90% full or 30% full.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
bshar489
Addict
bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No need to turn it off unless you're planning not to use it for weeks or months at a time.

Lithium Ion batteries such as the Kindle uses don't mind being "topped up". It really doesn't matter (as far as the battery life goes) whether you recharge it when it's 90% full or 30% full.
Well, the only scenario I can think of off hand why I wouldn't be using it for weeks or months would be if I was in a coma or something and even then my son would probably swipe it and use it

Thanks for your quick reply. I've only had my Kindle for a month so I'm still learning and having a lot of fun doing it.

Bergette
Old 09-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I have owned kindles since the first one and I have yet to turn one off since initial charging
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I have owned kindles since the first one and I have yet to turn one off since initial charging
The only time I turn mine off is when it's required to do so on an aeroplane.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I just put mine to sleep on planes.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshar489 View Post
Hi; I was wondering which is better when I'm done with the Kindle, say for a number of hours or overnight--to put it in sleep mode or to completely shut it off? Is one better than the other to conserve battery power?
There is no provision for the Amazon Kindle to be completely shut off. The only thing different about holding the switch a few seconds is the the screen goes blank instead of to an image. If it were actually off, the Kindle would need to boot up, which would take much longer than waking up from sleep. That does not happen. It wakes up from the blank screen just as fast as from the sleep screens.

After I got my Pocketbook 360 and Kindle DXG, I pretty much stopped using my Kindle 2. I started shutting it down to the blank screen, but the battery ran down just as quickly as when it was only put to sleep.

Then I saw this thread, which shows that "power off" for Kindle is really the same as "sleep".
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...x1MY2ISK92QX3H

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshar489 View Post
And also, is there a better way to charge the battery--that is, I've been recharging when it gets about half down. Is this ok or is it better at times for it to completely drain?
It is never better to completely drain the battery. It is also OK to stop charging before the battery is completely recharged.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
That is what I do as well, after checking to make sure the wireless is turned off. I don't think I have ever completely shut off my Kindle, I always just put it to sleep.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
Added to FAA Watch List.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Sleep is sufficient.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
That is what I do as well, after checking to make sure the wireless is turned off. I don't think I have ever completely shut off my Kindle, I always just put it to sleep.
It is likely impossible to completely shut off an unmodified Amazon Kindle. See above.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #12
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I've only turned mine off once, when I thought a book was "stuck".

Turning off wifi will help save battery life, but even then it doesn't matter much if you're going to charge it that day anyway.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica145 View Post
Added to FAA Watch List.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #14
bshar489
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
There is no provision for the Amazon Kindle to be completely shut off. The only thing different about holding the switch a few seconds is the the screen goes blank instead of to an image. If it were actually off, the Kindle would need to boot up, which would take much longer than waking up from sleep. That does not happen. It wakes up from the blank screen just as fast as from the sleep screens.

After I got my Pocketbook 360 and Kindle DXG, I pretty much stopped using my Kindle 2. I started shutting it down to the blank screen, but the battery ran down just as quickly as when it was only put to sleep.

Then I saw this thread, which shows that "power off" for Kindle is really the same as "sleep".
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...x1MY2ISK92QX3H
That's interesting. Of course, I hadn't thought of the fact that it would have to boot up like a computer if it were completely off. So it's a matter of either having a screensaver or not

Quote:
It is never better to completely drain the battery. It is also OK to stop charging before the battery is completely recharged.
You answered a question I had meant to ask, about whether it's OK to unhook it before it was done charging.

Bergette