Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Cool Sorry but..... suggestions for LA

Hi there

Sorry to do this but I need to find somewhere to buy a 505 in Los Angeles.

I'm flying from New Zealand for a conference and so don't have a lot of free time and want to sort out as much as possible prior to leaving. I've searched the forums (esp. the brick and mortar thread) but the info seems to be a bit old.

1) I'm staying at the Westin Bonaventure (zip 90071) so need somewhere close'ish as I'll be cabbing around.
2) I've called to Sony Style shop in the Beverly Center mall and they have stock but only silver and I would really like to see a blue one......

I've done about all I can from this side of the world and was hoping someone here could speak from recent experience.

TIA

Marc

Last edited by mcramer; 11-29-2007 at 07:09 PM.
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Knock and the door will be opened.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

thanks

yep, knocked on that door prior to coming too interestingly if you put PRS-505 in the search box it just tells you that stock is on it's way to dealers - not much help.

if I can't narrow it down then it gives me way too many stores that "sell sony products" to some degree..........
Old 11-29-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Border's book stores sell the Reader, but AFAIK they only have silver as well. Best Buy stores had them in the sales ad a while back, but I don't know if they have them in store still or what colors they had.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:46 PM   #5
ChrisI
Connoisseur
ChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo H2O, Libre 2
I've seen the blue one in the Target stores here in Cleveland.
ChrisI is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2007, 11:40 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Sorry, I didn't realize they'd let that dealer finder go to pot, it used to be a very good tool.

Try Borders, CompUSA, Fry's Electronics (my personal favorite!), Best Buy ... Circuit City, maybe?

Target is a bit of a surprise, though an extremely welcome one.

If you can find it on their website, then you'll know who to try, and a lot of the sites will go so far as to tell you what the stores in a given area have in stock.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:12 AM   #7
runciter
runciter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I think he was looking for a blue one, and I've only seen those in SonyStyle stores, but looks like ChrisI found one at Target. I didn't even know they carried them...and I frequent them fairly often. Maybe a new thing for Christmas...

Every Borders I've been to has only had silver ones so I wouldn't count on them mcramer.
runciter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:55 AM   #8
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
I would also try ringing the sony store prior to departure! that will make sure that they have one in stock and wont cost that much. A couple of dollars to ensure the place you go to has one seems sensible
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:06 AM   #9
mcramer
Kiwi reader

thanks for the suggestions everyone.

stustaff - i called the sony style store yesterday and they have them in stock, but only silver. i'm not sure what colour i'd prefer which was why i wanted to see them both.

cheers
Old 11-30-2007, 07:56 AM   #10
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
I have the silveer and think it looks great the main thing for me is the silver surround 'fades' into the screen so its more like looking at a book. The blue seems a bit jarring to me.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:57 AM   #11
iarann
iarann began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Good places to look

Every Borders in Los Angeles and the close surrounding cities has them in stock, but I have only seen silver there. I purchased mine in Pasadena (I live in the North Eastern part of the city itself, but freeways to Pasadena make it faster even though I'm probably just as close to the one in Glendale or the one in Hollywood). At that Border's they didn't even know dark blue ones existed, and this was last week. I've been to probably every Border's from Orange to Valencia, and I can tell you every single kiosk was full of silver. The other thing to keep in mind is since the Kindle was announced, the Sony Reader is selling like crazy at Border's. I got one of the last three and they got a shipment that day. Granted, I doubt they are getting more then 10 a shipment, but that's still a big sale for that kind of item.

Anyways, back to my point, I haven't seen the blue ones in stock anywhere. The Beverly Center store only caries the silver ones, as do the 4 Best Buy's in the area that carry the devices. If you wish to contact them, I am speaking of the ones in West Hollywood, Culver City, Westwood, and West LA. If you go to www.bestbuy.com and do a search for Sony PRS-505, then click on the link for preffered store availability, then enter 90036 as a zip code (it's a fairly central zip code for Los Angeles, mid-Wilshire, not far from Beverly Hills, downtown, Santa Monica, or Hollywood).

If you do decide to purchase a silver one I recommend the Border's store on Sunset and Vine. Great clerks there, good book selection, and the Sony Reader is right by the music section near the Seattle's Best Coffee shop section of the store. Great cookies there as well.

The silver one is pretty nice, has a good cover (brown on the outside, grey on the inside), and I doubt you would be disapointed. I wanted a dark blue one as well but decided to settle, and in the end I think I'm happier with the product then I would have been. It seems easier for me to ignore the silver Reader on a grey backround (the inside of the cover) then it does on my friends PRS-500 which is black. Hope you are able to get what you are looking for.
iarann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:07 AM   #12
mcramer
Kiwi reader

iarann - thanks very much for the help! there seems to be a couple of stores within 15 miles of where i'm staying so it gives me a number of options