Notices

Old 03-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #16
Fith
Enthusiast
Fith began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo / Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Is there any shop in the UK where I can see the Bebook up close, or can it only be ordered online?
If you are in London then Foyles apparently will have it.
Fith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #17
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Hi Harry, thanks for posting your thoughts on the BeBook Neo. I have a few questions concerning it.
1. Does it have the same (or similar) software as the BeBook Mini? Meaning
2. Does it read all the formats as on the latter machine. I noticed the site listed mobi but will it read prc?
3. Does it have the text to speech function as on the mini. I realise that this is not much use to normal users but could be very useful to people with eyesight problems.
I have just been to the Paris book fair and had a chance to play with the forthcoming Orizon. Touch sensitive screen and built in wi-fi too but fewer formats supported.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:32 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
1. Does it have the same (or similar) software as the BeBook Mini? Meaning
2. Does it read all the formats as on the latter machine. I noticed the site listed mobi but will it read prc?
No, it's completely different firmware.

What format do you mean when you say "PRC"? A "PRC" file is simply a "container" (a bit like a ZIP file) which can contain data in any format whatsoever. One of those possible formats is a Mobipocket book, but it could be a thousand other things too.

If you have a Mobipocket book, it is irrelevant whether it has an file extension of ".mobi" or ".prc". All Mobi files are PRC files, but not all PRC files are Mobipocket books.

Quote:
3. Does it have the text to speech function as on the mini. I realise that this is not much use to normal users but could be very useful to people with eyesight problems.
No, it doesn't, but I think personally that it's significantly better than the BeBook Mini in terms of what it does have - the Wacom touch screen, the overall user interface, and so on.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:10 AM   #19
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by luag View Post
For BBC, i use this link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/low
Boox/neo renders it very nicely
Good link. my main news site on my pc as well. prefer the low graphics... to the point no photos... less hassle.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:39 AM   #20
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Thanks for your thoughts, HarryT. The BeBook Neo sounds like it would make a nice gift for my husband - or for myself, for that matter!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #21
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Harry for clearing up my ignorance of prc files. I did not know that it is only a container like avi and zip files. I had thought that mobi and prc files for the MobiPocket system had different features because some download sites allow one to choose between mobi and prc versions on the same page.
The touch sensitive screen is definitely a big plus. I had a play with the forthcoming Orizon from Bookeen when I went to the Paris book fair on Friday and realised how good such a screen can be. They say it should be out by June but if the Neo is as good as you think it is, I may not wait that long. The Youtube videos I have seen on the Neo are certainly very impressive.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #22
Polyglot27
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Good link. my main news site on my pc as well. prefer the low graphics... to the point no photos... less hassle.
I can't see anything on the BeBook Neo on the BBC site. I did try Noox/neo as suggested with no luck. I agree that this is a good site for news.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:02 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
I can't see anything on the BeBook Neo on the BBC site.
I think you may have misread Hidari's post. He wasn't saying that there was any information about the Neo on the BBC News site, but rather that the "low graphics" version of the BBC News site displays well on the Neo's web browser.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #24
Polyglot27
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think you may have misread Hidari's post. He wasn't saying that there was any information about the Neo on the BBC News site, but rather that the "low graphics" version of the BBC News site displays well on the Neo's web browser.
Thanks Harry. After rereading Hidari's post I realise that is what he meant. I must be going gaga.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:00 AM   #25
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fith View Post
If you are in London then Foyles apparently will have it.
Oh that's really good, thanks!
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #26
Polyglot27
Addict

Hi Harry, I just noticed that the Bebook Neo claims to have 16 levels of grey. The Cybook has only 4 and the Sony has 8. Is this all hype or can you see the improvement?
Old 04-02-2010, 04:15 AM   #27
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Bebook Neo claims to have 16 levels of grey
The hardware supports 16 levels, but the current version of the firmware supports only 8. So there's not a lot of improvement yet.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
The hardware supports 16 levels, but the current version of the firmware supports only 8. So there's not a lot of improvement yet.
Actually the big improvement is between 4 and 8, less so from 8 to 16.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #29
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Only on-line, to the best of my knowledge.

Pros of the Neo:

MUCH better screen quality, due to the Wacom touch screen.
Much better ADE implementation (full justification in ePub files)
More formats supported
WiFi (not important to me, but may be for some)
Folder support.

Pros of the Sony:

Currently much more refined software for dictionary lookup and annotation.

Overall, I'd say the Neo is a clear winner.

does it support coolreader ie fb2? astak does a great job with that awesome reader.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #30
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
There is good support for fb2. The lines are shown a bit too far apart for many people's taste, but there is a small application that you can download and install which makes the line distance configurable.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote