Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Kobo Firmware Access and Early Access Program

Check the blog at http://blog.kobobooks.com/2010/06/30...mware-upgrade/

Register for the Early Access Program at http://blog.kobobooks.com/early-access/
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:20 AM   #2
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Ughh, got to wait for Borders to come online to do the firmware update. With the speed and honesty that they had for shipping the kobo, could be waiting a while

I guess I'll at least get to hear the reviews of it before upgrading though.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 03:30 AM   #3
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguefan99 View Post
Ughh, got to wait for Borders to come online to do the firmware update. With the speed and honesty that they had for shipping the kobo, could be waiting a while
You can still sign up for the Early Access program though:

Quote:
We are making updates available through our “Early Access” program.

[..]

Borders U.S. or Australian user? Sign up now and you’ll be the first to receive the upgrade when it’s available.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:22 AM   #4
stephenb
stephenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo, Amazon Kindle 3
Even worse, I bought mine from Whitcoulls. No sign of an update for us.
stephenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:25 AM   #5
mTamblyn
mTamblyn is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo eReader, iPhone, iPad
Hi all -- it's Michael Tamblyn from Kobo.

stephenb -- there is a Whitcoulls update coming as well. If you sign up for the Early Access program, we'll send you a link as soon as it is available. We are working with Whitcoulls on the timing of that release now.

For those who are interested, here is the full text of the blog post, with links:

Kobo eReader Firmware Upgrade!

We are very happy to announce that we have firmware upgrades on the way for Kobo eReader customers. I’m going to give as much detail as I can on this process and will be checking the forum to answer any questions that come up over the next couple of days. This is a big post, with lots of info, so let’s get started.

Two Ways to Upgrade
Option 1: Download and Install

Download a new version of the Kobo Desktop application (instructions below). This includes a wizard that will walk you through the Kobo eReader firmware upgrade process. The whole process, end-to-end, takes about 10-20 minutes, depending mostly on Internet connection and the speed of your computer. This can be done in the comfort of your own home and doesn’t require you to re-sync your library afterwards.

Option 2: For Canadian customers:

Starting the week of July 5th, Canadian eReader users can visit the Indigo, Chapters or Coles store they purchased their eReader from and have the upgrade done for them by Indigo staff. This upgrade is performed using an SD Card and requires you to re-sync your books back onto your eReader when you get home. Not a big deal if you have a few books, but can take a while if you have a lot.

For other customers:

We are working with Borders (US), Borders Australia, Angus & Robertson and Whitcoulls this week to schedule the release of upgrades for your eReaders. If you bought devices from these retailers, we will have final dates for you by July 9th.
Getting The Upgrade

We are releasing the upgrade over the course of the next two weeks, but if you’re anxious to get it now, there’s a way to jump to the front of the line!

Starting Tomorrow

We are making updates available through our “Early Access” program. Sign up here:

http://blog.kobobooks.com/early-access

and we will send you a link to download a new version of the Kobo Desktop Reader that includes our eReader upgrade wizard. First come, first served! We are aiming to send the first batch of Early Access emails July 1st and send additional batches July 2nd through 4th (yep, we’re working both US and Canadian holidays to get this out to you!). Borders U.S. or Australian user? Sign up now and you’ll be the first to receive the upgrade when it’s available.

Starting the week of July 5th
  • SD Card upgrades available in select Indigo, Chapters and Coles stores. (If you bought your eReader there, they will have SD Cards to perform the upgrade.)
  • Email goes out to all Canadian eReader users, informing them of upgrade options and timing.
  • We will also be emailing people who have contacted Kobo Customer Care with issues that are addressed by the upgrade.
  • Kobo Desktops will start to automatically prompt their users to upgrade. (This doesn’t happen all at once. A percentage of the total user base gets prompted on the 5th, then we dial it up through the week until everyone is done.)

What’s In the Upgrade

Everything that we talked about here, here, and here.

The highlights:
  • The ability to resize fonts for any ePub file, no matter where it comes from.
  • Improved battery management
  • The ability to hide/show the preloaded free classics
  • Charging lights that make sense (red/violet when charging, blue when finished)

During the Upgrade

We have plenty of help options — update FAQs and staff standing by at Kobo Customer Care to answer questions via phone or email. Phone numbers and help links are available throughout the update process if you hit something unexpected or want some help.

As I said in my last post, a hardware upgrade is not for the faint of heart, but we have done everything we could to make this as simple as possible. Unexpected issues may pop up, but we’ll do everything we can to deal with them quickly and get you reading on your new and improved Kobo eReader. Thanks everyone for your patience, suggestions, and advice while we put this together.

Michael Tamblyn

EVP Content, Sales & Merchandising
mTamblyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
NickWilliams
NickWilliams began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Is there a way for me to download the kobo desktop app so I can get the firmware update? I bought my device from Borders in the US, and all it came with was the Borders desktop. I am not a fan of Borders, and I do not want to install their desktop.

I have been just dragging and dropping my ebooks to the reader, and using ADE for more recent purchases.

I have searched everywhere on the kobo site and cannot find any download links. Help please!
NickWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
mTamblyn
mTamblyn is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo eReader, iPhone, iPad
NickWilliams - sign up here:

http://blog.kobobooks.com/early-access/

and we will mail you a link for the upgrade.
mTamblyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
NickWilliams
NickWilliams began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTamblyn View Post
NickWilliams - sign up here:

http://blog.kobobooks.com/early-access/

and we will mail you a link for the upgrade.
Awesome! Thank you!
NickWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
Vardd
Vardd began at the beginning.

Thanks, thats good news!
Vardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #10
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
Sorry I'm impatient I signed up for the beta a couple of weeks ago, then I signed up for the early access about two hours after the blog post went up with the links. Pretty please send me the link
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #11
Zac
Zac began at the beginning.

First Come First Serve

My understanding that Kobo will be sending out the link for the update on first come first serve basis, so it is important to register as soon as you can.

I am just wondering how many emails/registrants can they process daily?

I have version 1.0 on my ereader. Gee maybe I should leave it that way and keep it as a collector's item!!! LOL!

I love my Kobo and it works wonderfully - other than epubs that have paging and font issues.
Zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #12
EtherealWinter
The Omega and Alpha
EtherealWinter began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac View Post
I have version 1.0 on my ereader. Gee maybe I should leave it that way and keep it as a collector's item!!! LOL!
haha if you leave it at 1.0 you might still be able to run homebrew :P (reference to the PSP)
EtherealWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #13
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Just got my email with the download link!
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #14
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Me too! This should be interesting...
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #15
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Me three... but I'm too sleepy to try it now, so we wait until tomorrow.

Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote