Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
What did you download and read during Read an Ebook Week, and how did you like it?

Most of us here read a lot of ebooks anyway, we don't need a specific week for that.

However, for me at least, it was a great opportunity to try out new authors and stock up my virtual library. It seems that a lot of other people seized the opportunity too, as smashwords for example went down for hours under the weight of all those ebook lovers accessing it simultaneously.

So, how about posting here about the books you had the opportunity to download and read during this year's ebook week?
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

I'll go first. I downloaded loads and loads of book, and started reading at once.

Only just now I finished "The End of Science Fiction" by Sam Smith (Bewrite!).
And it was great.

I had a little trouble getting into it at first, because of the writing style. The sentences were abrupt and short, subjects and articles missing. I pressed on, because the premise really interested me a lot.

One week until the end of the universe. No heroics, nothing that can be done. How do people cope with the sudden absence of any future?

A detective inspector tries to solve his last case in a collapsing world, even if it won't matter to anyone. The dialogs (more like monologues really) he has with the people he meets during his investigation are just brilliant.

And if the power of fiction is to place the reader in situations he may never live in real life, and understand some more things about himself and the world through this process, well, this book did it for me.
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Ooh great idea for a thread. Could people post what they thought of books that are on promo but read before? I need some help deciding what ebooks to download and that would be a great help.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I've been so hectically busy this week, Omk, that I've not had time to look around properly yet. Very often I'll buy books from first-time authors or other indie authors I've not come across before, even if they're working in a genre I don't usually like, so I'll definitely find time to download a few.

Thing is that I'm a fiction editor in my day job (which is a joke because I'm rarely through before late night) and recreational reading time's tight. I like to offer wee, informal reviews of new work I read, so -- rather than having a stack of titles burning a hole in my library, I'll try to limit myself to half a dozen books that I know I'll have time to read fully. I think most if not all will be by independent authors who are also MR members. My interest's been piqued by some of the feedback I've seen here.

Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
omk3
Wizard

It was David.Niall.Wils' idea actually
I just promoted it a little!

I hope we get some reviews before the week is over, to help people with their decisions!
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

***Could people post what they thought of books that are on promo but read before? I need some help deciding ...***

Forgive me, Lilac, but I think many independent authors and small publishers here might well think you've got the idea back to front.

The point of special Read an Ebook Week promotion is that people will recommend books they've got free so that others will buy, not that folks will buy and review books so that others can get them for nothing.

No hard feelings, but creators of books do nead to eat like other folks.

Cheers. Neil
Old 03-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
***Could people post what they thought of books that are on promo but read before? I need some help deciding ...***

Forgive me, Lilac, but I think many independent authors and small publishers here might well think you've got the idea back to front.

The point of special Read an Ebook Week promotion is that people will recommend books they've got free so that others will buy, not that folks will buy and review books so that others can get them for nothing.

No hard feelings, but creators of books do nead to eat like other folks.

Cheers. Neil
I understand, but there's such a plethora out there right now I don't know where to start. Plus, I personally support authors I like and if they don't have other ebooks to purchase, I spread the words about the ones I liked.

I don't really think other authors would mind that too much.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr

You're right, of course, Lilac. Thinking about my post after the fact, I realised it was a bit mean. The general feel of MR since I joined up last summer has been that its members are tremendously supportive of authors -- especially independents. If anyone deserves a special deal during REBW its those who have been loyal buyers for the rest of the year. My apologies, Lilac. Best wishes. Neil
Old 03-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
You're right, of course, Lilac. Thinking about my post after the fact, I realised it was a bit mean. The general feel of MR since I joined up last summer has been that its members are tremendously supportive of authors -- especially independents. If anyone deserves a special deal during REBW its those who have been loyal buyers for the rest of the year. My apologies, Lilac. Best wishes. Neil
No problem I can see why you'd be concerned.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #10
David.Niall.Wils
Author & Digital Publishe
David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'll post some thoughts and comments on what I've been reading eventually here...and thanks again omk3 for the clarified topic header and the move.
David.Niall.Wils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:48 AM   #11
omk3
Wizard

Erm, do I read too fast?

After some thought, I decided to download Cockroach Suckers (by David Niall Wilson right here ). I confess I hesitated a little because of the cover - cockroaches have been known to drive me out of my home until proven dead and removed from the premises Nothing in the book triggered my extreme katsaridophobia, however.

I really liked the writing and the pace and the atmosphere and the subtle humour of it all until it became, well, what it was supposed to be, a bit lovecraftian. From the first half, the story could go anywhere - and I liked where it could go. I found the central idea delicious (that is SO the wrong word , but anyway...). Then it lost me. That's my problem of course, it was just the wrong genre for me, I prefer dark realism to dark fantasy any day. Still, I found it very entertaining. But oh, the possibilities...

Just a note: there are some typos scattered around, maybe you'd want to recheck the text (at least the smashwords version). not that I frequently find ebooks without typos these days...
Old 03-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
David.Niall.Wils
David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

AUGH (I hate typos) I will definitely go back and work on that. I really need to get a better cover for it. There aren't so many cockroaches in it - after all - mostly one really big wooden one...
Old 03-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #13
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I read PRIMITIVE, the #1 Kindle book--it was a fast-paced little thriller with some "big ideas." Entertainment but nothing to change the world.

Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #14
David.Niall.Wils

omk3 THANK YOU (my God) It turns out I created that from an older file. I just carefully proofread it in Kindle for PC and edited as I went, then republished. You were WAY too kind, that thing was a mess (sigh). My apologies.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #15
omk3
Wizard

You're welcome, David. I'm glad to see you took immediate action. I really can count on the fingers of one hand the ebooks without typos I've read so far. And I've seen quite a lot in a worse state than what you call a "mess".

Anyway, no one else has a comment on anything they bought/downloaded during Ebook Week?

I just finished The Gumshoe, the Witch, and the Virtual Corpse by Keith Hartman and loved it. I've already bought the next one, Gumshoe Gorilla.

Now I'm taking a break from my Ebook Week's downloads to read Moxie Mezcal's new novel