Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Tablet readers- OS, CPU, Firmware, software, blah blah

I already know I will buy a tablet this year. I am leaning toward a 7" screen but if the right device comes along, I am more than willing to go up to 10" or so.

Here is the dilema... there are so many operating systems and CPU names being bandied about that my head is spinning. I don't need a laptop replacement. I don't need a gaming device with every bell and whistle. I don't need to play lots and lots of games or have onboard mega storage.

What OS? Linux? I think not. Do I want an Android device? Surely I don't need Windows 7 (or the cost it would add, do I?) Should I care if the device runs Atom or Tegra (I just see them talked about but no clue what it means for power). I want to make a wise decision and don't need to overspend on something that is far beyond what I need or want. I also don't want to buy something that will be slow and obsolete when I buy it. The JE-100 comes to mind.

Here is what I want. I want a reader with Internet access so I can buy directly from the Web. Will I browse? Sure but I don't need a mini-laptop. I don't need a UMPC that will run everything I can run on a gamer PC. Will I add apps? Maaaybe, if the OS allows it but I already have an Iphone. I just need the standard book reader software.

I want an ergonomically thought out, lightweight tablet to replace my 5" e-ink reader. I'd love to find something with a Pixel Qi screen (I don't understand Mirasol technology). Notion Ink tablet?

What are the important specifications for decent Web browsing and general happiness (besides the all-important battery life)? Let the discussion begin or just mention devices that sounds like they may offer what we tablet-toting, ebook reading users want. Heck, many of the tablets being talked about may never see the light of day! It's fun to speculate though!
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
splendor
Enthusiast
splendor began at the beginning.

Device: irex
any computer with Pixel Qi screen yet? thanks
splendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert