Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
Color Choices

Noob questions.

I found this in an older discussion and didn't feel like being a thread necromancer.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=23

So the Silver seems to trick the mind into seeing a slightly darker background, but darker text. The Blue seems to trick the mind into seeing a slightly lighter background, but lighter text.

I think I would like the most contrast I can get between the background and the text. Given that both have the same contrast ratio, which one tricks the mind to provide the higher contrast? Red owners, can you tell a difference between Red/Silver or Red/Blue?
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjones View Post
So the Silver seems to trick the mind into seeing a slightly darker background, but darker text. The Blue seems to trick the mind into seeing a slightly lighter background, but lighter text.

I think I would like the most contrast I can get between the background and the text. Given that both have the same contrast ratio, which one tricks the mind to provide the higher contrast?
I doubt this is true. The blue one definitely tricks you into seeing better contrast because the background appears whiter. Don't forget there's more background then there is text.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Um...which part are you doubting to be true?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjones View Post
Um...which part are you doubting to be true?
It seems I read your post as stating there is no perceptible contrast difference between the silver and the blue. My bad. Should have paid more attention.

Anyway, in my experience, the blue one holds a slight advantage. It could be subjective though.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
aliencane
Enthusiast
aliencane is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 505, iPad
For me, it seems as though novels read on the blue one have much better plots and character development.
aliencane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
All the cool kids have the Red one.

Obviously I'm not cool, as I have a blue one.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
All the cool kids have the Red one.

Obviously I'm not cool, as I have a blue one.
You are way cool, LJ !! ; >
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
You are way cool, LJ !! ; >
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
kwjones
Groupie

Just as I thought....very much like yellow motorcycles having 5 more horsepower.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:24 AM   #10
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
aww, I should just not read posts like this. I'm so jealous of the owners of blue ones. I just keep telling myself I love my silver baby, I love my silver baby....

<--would have chosen blue had I known I was getting one, but not going to look a "gift horse" in the mouth!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
^^ I would have gone for red but the silver is still cool.
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
sigma8
Zealot
sigma8 doesn't littersigma8 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
When I was in the store, I was leaning towards the silver one, just for the overall look. But they had all three on display, and I was pretty confident that the "white" on the silver one was actually a tad darker. I initially assumed it was my mind playing tricks on me, but I held the silver one's border up over the blue ones screen (so that there would be bluescreen--silveredge--silverscreen, to hopefully eliminate optical illusions), and it really did look like THAT unit had a darker background. The "ink" didn't seem to be any darker to compensate or balance it out.

I'm sure that was probably just some degree of manufacturing variation, but I couldn't know that for sure...so just in case.. I got the blue one.

Using the same little test, the red one's screen appeared the same as the blue one's. It was only the silver one that looked darker. Again, I'm 90% sure that this was probably particular to that one silver unit. I only bought the blue one because 10% doubt was stronger than any color preference I had.
sigma8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
All the cool kids bought the blue before Sony sold out.

Oh wait. I have a blue one.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #14
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
All the cool kids bought the blue before Sony sold out.
Oh wait. I have a blue one.
I have a blue one too. I can't say exactly why, but i prefer the blue over the silver. And yes, i've seen both side by side.

But i'm feeling a little bit too old for the "cool kids". I would prefer to belong to the "cool guys".
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #15
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliencane View Post
For me, it seems as though novels read on the blue one have much better plots and character development.
I agree wholeheartedly. The blue one also seems to lower my weight, increase my IQ, and add to my all around charm in ways I've yet to uncover fully.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote