Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #1
SKYRIDER
SKYRIDER began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK GLOWLIGHT
Adjusting NOOK sensitivity

Hello, newbie here with a question about the NOOK Glowlight - can the screen sensitivity level be adjusted? Sometimes if I move my hand across the screen when I'm reading, like to reach for a drink, the dictionary pops up and I have to back out of that to go back to my novel.
Very frustrating!
SKYRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:59 PM   #2
SKYRIDER

Ok, is it possible to just delete the dictionary from the NOOK Glowlight?
I've seen a post on doing that with the Kindle, but not the NOOK.

Anybody??
Advert
Old 10-01-2015, 08:33 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Can anyone offer advice, please, for SKYRIDER?

(I don't own a Glowlight.)

Thank you.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:33 AM   #4
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
No you can't adjust the screen sensitivity, and no you can't delete the dictionary, at least not on the stock device.

It is possible that if you root the Glowlight you could make use of tools to redefine what actions cause what to happen. However rooting the glowlight is not for the faint of heart, and is more involved than rooting the previous generations of eink Nook.

I will note that even rooting is unlikely to resolve the issue, and to be honest I'm perplexed as to how one can accidentally bring up the dictionary as it requires a moderate amount of time on a single word. I'd expect to see page turns if your hand is brushing against the screen. Further, even with root access if you could remove the dictionary the pane that is brought up would still appear, it would just be empty and you'd never be able to look up a word.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:47 AM   #5
AnitainTN
Member, Nooks Anonymous
AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.

Device: SGTS2-8, Nook Color
It's not just your device; this happens to me sometimes with Samsung devices, too. Maybe it's the Nook App, not the device. No big deal - just tap elsewhere on the screen and and continue reading. Don't let the little things get on your nerves.

Of course, when I want to look up a word....hold your arm just so while balancing on one leg, etc. etc.
AnitainTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2015, 02:46 AM   #6
alexa04
alexa04 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for asking about this problem, I do experience it too.
alexa04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:29 AM   #7
SKYRIDER

Thank you everyone for your helpful input. I suppose it's just of life's little annoyances that I must learn to live with, like Donald Trump.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #8
SonDan1
Connoisseur
SonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1, Aluratek Libre Pro,Kobo Wi-Fi, Samsung Galaxy Tab, KoboT, NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYRIDER View Post
Thank you everyone for your helpful input. I suppose it's just of life's little annoyances that I must learn to live with, like Donald Trump.
Hi Skyrider. Just found your thread. I made a similar one a few weeks back to no avail. My solution was to go back to using my original Nook Simple Touch with physical page turn buttons. I can now hold my Nook comfortably and not worry about accidental page turns etc.

Initially I thought I just had a bad Nook Glow Light that was supersensitive. But after seeing your post and others I am chalking it up to poor design of the Plus. There is just no comfortable way to hold it that does not interfere with the reading experience. That is my opinion and others' mileage may vary.
SonDan1 is offline   Reply With Quote