Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #16
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Battery-life?

Devs should learn to code again...
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #17
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I, on the other hand, would not want it with 3G/4G. I already have my phone for that, and I can tether via WiFi if required.
Wifi tethering (Mobile Hotspot) on my Sprint EVO 4G costs $35/month, is a PITA to turn on and eats the battery. If I turn on 4G it eats the battery even more. Mobile Hotspot with 4G turned on = two hour battery life.

OTOH, 3 Gigabytes/month of 3G connectivity, off contract on my VZW Galaxy Tab costs $30, is more than enough for my use, is always on without having to fiddle, and is fast enough for my use.

I believe I'll stick with 3G on my tab.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #18
mastermesh
mastermesh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
$250.00 - $300.00 7" asus tablet with quad core coming soon!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/01...-7-memo-me171/

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/01...ablet-for-250/

http://gdgt.com/asus/eee/pad/memo-me370t/specs/
mastermesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #19
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Here's a hands-on with a lot of pics: http://androidcommunity.com/asus-mem...s-on-20120110/

Asus is planning to launch in spring. It's likely to be a bit heavier than the NC/NT/KF and I'll wait to hear about battery life, but seriously: quad-core, hdpi, full sensor array, mini-HDMI, and from arguably the best tablet-maker on the market.

Can someone wipe my chin?
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #20
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Deleted...was originally posted in a duplicate thread.

Last edited by Pookeysgirl; 01-11-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #21
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
Same here, wifi only please. I sure hope it has an SDHC slot!
This.

Having just purchased a Blackberry Playbook for $200, I wish I'd waited now. $250 is amazing for the specs.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #22
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
This is attractive. Better once Windows 8 arrives. If it came with a free-upgrade-to-win8 voucher, I'd jump.

That said, hardware in a vaccuum is not going to sell to the masses. We learned that from everything that came between the iPad and the Fire. For this thing to catch 'Fire' Microsoft is going to have to elevate the Zune store. Here's to hoping...
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #23
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Along the same lines, if Google wants to be in the game, they ought to buy Netflix and Barnes and Noble.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #24
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
This is attractive. Better once Windows 8 arrives. If it came with a free-upgrade-to-win8 voucher, I'd jump.

That said, hardware in a vaccuum is not going to sell to the masses. We learned that from everything that came between the iPad and the Fire. For this thing to catch 'Fire' Microsoft is going to have to elevate the Zune store. Here's to hoping...
...Ice Cream Sandwich. That's Android. People bought Android tablets before the Fire, and are continuing to do so.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #25
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Now I know, why I did not get a tablet yet; I was waiting for this (being an extremely satisfied EeePC 900 user for years now)
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #26
wizwor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
...Ice Cream Sandwich. That's Android. People bought Android tablets before the Fire, and are continuing to do so.
If Amazon hasn't already sold more tablets than all other Android tablets combined, they will soon. Apple certainly has. Android, like Linux is brimming with potential. Like Linux, it will be brimming with potential for...well...ever.

If Google wants ICS to go anywhere, they should buy B&N and Netflix. Here's why...

Amazon is selling $200 tablets. Some people think they lose money on each one they sell. They could cut the price in half because they are making money selling Prime and eBooks.

Where does Google get the money to compete with this? What is their motivation?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #27
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Killer device at a killer price, if indeed the final product is as teased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Where does Google get the money to compete with this? What is their motivation?
They protect future mobile ad space. Google's huge piles and piles and piles of cash comes from ads. Before Android, MS and then Apple were engaging in increasingly closed mobile ecospheres all the while technologists already realized that mobile tech was going to be the primary consumer tech of the future. An ad company can't get shut out of the primary consumer tech and live, so Google challenged that status quo, and at the same time, opened up an immediate boost to mobile ad revenue thru app ads. Though insubstantial as a source of income, it is a very, very fast growing source.

Honeycomb was Android Tablet 1.x and did about as well as Android Phone 1.x (or it would have, if gingerbread hadn't owned the tablet market). ICS is Android Tablet 2.x, and Android Phone 2.x is when Android began dominating phones. We'll see if the pattern holds. If it does, rest assured, Google has lots of financial motivation to maintain a decent share, though they don't really need to dominate to protect their ad space. They can make ad revenue on any platform so long as those other platforms are afraid to restrict internet access in favor of self-curated content.

At the same time, Google's retail competence is improving. They did a series of app sales over the holidays that I think means they're now serious about making the retail side of the android market a money maker. Initially, I'm pretty sure all Google's cut of market transactions ended up in the hands of carriers. They didn't have much incentive to boost that revenue. Now perhaps they do, and Amazon's proficiency with this seems to be giving Google the direction they need to make it work.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
8MP rear cam and non-existent front cam. WTH? The front cam is the important cam in a tablet. You need it for video chats. How do you Skype with a rear cam? mirrors?

What were they thinking?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #29
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You should only need one mirror, really.

Not being a video chatter, this setup works pretty well for me. I have one dictionary app that does OCR. It'll work more easily with a rear cam.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #30
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I need a ten inch tablet with Win8, 4GB ram, microSD, microHDMI, USB3, wifi and ethernet port for $500
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote