Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Jetbook Mini Calibre software.

I am interested in the Mini... I can't really give a rational explanation, it just gets my attention. Anyway, the major limit to me is that it will not read anything other than TXT or FB2 and I was wondering if anyone with this unit can tell me something about the "Jetbook specific Calibre software" they mention. Just how useful would this be if I wanted to convert files in bulk? I could tolerate the conversion process if I could do 50 files at a time and I was wondering if anyone has tried this?

An additional question- does the Mini still have the obsolete USB 1.1 like the Lite?

Thanks

Last edited by chas0039; 02-06-2011 at 10:42 AM.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
jjm6383
Enthusiast
jjm6383 is on a distinguished road

Device: Pandigital Nova, Aluratek Libre Pro, Dell Axim x51v
As far as I know, there is no Jetbook Mini specific Calibre software. The Help file for the Mini, refers you to the Calibre Website.

For my take on the Mini, please see my review at:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1312100

I was really intrigued by the Mini as well. For me, the reality didn't hold up.
jjm6383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
I recently converted a large quantity of .txt books to epub via "bulk convert" in Calibre. The results were actually pretty good. There were a few spots that the formatting needed tweaking but I think that was due to oddities in the original files.

Last edited by MR. Pockets; 02-07-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: For clarity.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
As far as I know the only thing jetBook specific would be the "Jetbook 5-inch" output
profile, and I'm not so sure that, it does a whole lot. I do use it of course and my
Calibre .epub files play fine on my JBLs.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Pockets View Post
I recently converted a large quantity of .txt books to epub via "bulk convert". The results were actually pretty good. There were a few spots that the formatting needed tweaking but I think that was due to oddities in the original files.

Ahah!! Bulk convert. Thanks so much guys, that is exactly what I was hoping for. Now to wait and see if there is another price drop below $70.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
I am interested in the Mini... I can't really give a rational explanation, it just gets my attention. Anyway, the major limit to me is that it will not read anything other than TXT or FB2 and I was wondering if anyone with this unit can tell me something about the "Jetbook specific Calibre software" they mention. Just how useful would this be if I wanted to convert files in bulk? I could tolerate the conversion process if I could do 50 files at a time and I was wondering if anyone has tried this?
Yes you can bulk convert. But a word of caution.

I used Calibre to covert several file types to FB2 - the results were not very good. Among other things, the TOC didn't translate. That killed it for me.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
Yes you can bulk convert. But a word of caution.

I used Calibre to covert several file types to FB2 - the results were not very good. Among other things, the TOC didn't translate. That killed it for me.

Regards - John
Right, there are always going to be situations that make for using another
program for differing sources or outputs, when it comes to conversion
programs, no one program is best for all situations.

Calibre has been great for converting .pdb files to .epub (even .pdb files
that were generated by a conversion from .lit) and with those, Calibre's
default settings produced a great working TOC from .pdb where, in the JBL
no TOC existed.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #8
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Right, there are always going to be situations that make for using another
program for differing sources or outputs, when it comes to conversion
programs, no one program is best for all situations.

Calibre has been great for converting .pdb files to .epub (even .pdb files
that were generated by a conversion from .lit) and with those, Calibre's
default settings produced a great working TOC from .pdb where, in the JBL
no TOC existed.

Luck;
Ken
Creating a TOC from scratch can cause some strange things. I was converting a text file to ebup and Calibre gave me a TOC entry from a book title - "Chapter and Hearse"
Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote