Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
john_es
Connoisseur
john_es began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
NookColor: File shows 0 books in shelf

I had a bunch of my ebooks loaded on my NookColor. I used Calibre to shove over the rest of mine...
And at some point, as the nook was organizing the library, the screen now shows 0 books in the library.

- I am positive this is NOT a bug with Calibre.
- I am positive that there is a problem with one of the ebooks I have on the device.

Apart from trying to delete them one at a time, can anyone think of a better way to try to nail down the offending book?

I am wondering if it could be due to path length of files, or semicolons...?

Thanks,
John

Last edited by john_es; 12-25-2010 at 12:07 AM.
john_es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
If you think the issue is an offending book, then I don't know a better way than to delete and load a few at a time. However I might try a few other things first. Some other people have noted disappearing books but I haven't myself.

1) Hit the sync button on the library page.
2) Power on and off
3) Try a soft reset (hold power button for at least 5 seconds and it restarts itself)

Hope that helps! Good luck!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
john_es
Connoisseur

It's really strange. I loaded 2500 books and everything was fine. Then I hit the menu button to show the thumbnail view and it updated itself a bit and then shows me 0 books. I can search for any book and it finds it, but it doesn't let me browse at all.

These are all books that are loaded under the MyFiles\Books folder.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Did you load them from an SD card? I think some people have had issues with books disappearing using that method. With a library of 2500 books I can see why you are looking for a simpler solution than reloading! I'm not sure what else to suggest. Hopefully someone else will come along soon with some other ideas.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
john_es
Connoisseur

I am loading them into main memory, via Calibre.
So I deleted all my books. Then this time re-imported them in a different order - rather than by author, I loaded a couple hundred at a time by title. At almost the exact same spot, around 2500, everything disappears.

I doubt it's a corrupted file now - and am thinking it's more to do with the thumbnail generation.

Does anyone know how the thumbnails are generated and/or where they are stored?
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
Otter
Connoisseur
Otter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505, PRS-650, ipod Touch, ipad 2, NC, Kindle Scribe
Am not sure if this is related, but I remember reading in some threads about the original Nook (not the NC) that some people were reaching a limit in terms of how many books the Nook would handle at once. I think around 1200-1400 people were experiencing problems, but I think the symptom was that the library software would just totally crash. Not identical to what you are seeing, but I wonder if you are hitting a same type of wall in what the NC software will handle at once. I sure hope not, being a large collector myself, but I can't find any other posts on the subject aside from one on the BN boards where a dev mentioned they tested a "locker" (??) of 2500 mixed media files.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
john_es
Connoisseur

Interesting point - I wonder if anyone can post here that has more than 2500 books in their NookColor, in order to test this idea.

I've got another...

Is it possible that Calibre is exporting files with a character in the name that Nook/Android doesn't like???
Old 12-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_es View Post
Interesting point - I wonder if anyone can post here that has more than 2500 books in their NookColor, in order to test this idea...
Have you contacted technical support regarding the issue you're encountering with a large library?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #9
john_es
Connoisseur

Confirmed... there's a maximum number of books, after which, the nook library will show none. I am not sure where the limit is, but it's ~2500.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
john_es
Connoisseur

Looks like the official nook forums are down...
Does anyone have a contact at B&N to see if we can get this added to their "todo" list of things to fix?

I have to think that this is a major bug (especially because they give us 5GB of space to play with...)
Old 12-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_es View Post
Looks like the official nook forums are down...
Does anyone have a contact at B&N to see if we can get this added to their "todo" list of things to fix?

I have to think that this is a major bug (especially because they give us 5GB of space to play with...)
Are you referring to this forum:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...chnicalsupport
Old 12-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #12
john_es
Connoisseur

well, it's up now...
and it's definitely a # of books issue. i've finally narrowed it down to this after a week of pain. i just dont see anyone at BN looking to fix this issue. some of the posts for the original nook are months and months old and the problem persists.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

Can you put some books in internal storage and the rest on an SD card? If you're saying the max is around 2500, why not use the internal storage for 2300 or so and the rest on the card?
Old 12-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #14
john_es
Connoisseur

i can try that, but that has the draw back of no longer being able to use calibre to manage my collection, as well as wasting a memory card to use - given that i've still got 3GB of space left on the device...
Old 12-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

Why can't you continue to use calibre? Send some books to internal memory, send others to the card. Calibre gives you a choice of where to send books. Perhaps I'm overlooking something that should be obvious.

I know it's not ideal, but at this stage it's either return the device (if that's an option) or come up with workarounds.

Edit: Or you can break up your library into two. One library for internal storage and another library for the card. It's easy to switch between libraries within calibre while the device is connected.

Last edited by SCION; 12-26-2010 at 06:53 PM.