Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
KD8COO
KD8COO began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
I think I bricked it, but hoping not...

I've had my PRS-900 for a few months now, but never really used it much. Just had 1 book I loaded on originally (from a Vista machine at work that saw it as a disk drive), but never made it more than a few pages in. I've used it as a notepad a few times, which is pretty cool.

Anyways, I finally decided to put it to REAL use. Loaded the Sony software on my home machine (XP). Downloaded some reference material from pdfplates.com to put on it and started it synching. Well, the Sony software crashed partway through and now the reader won't boot. It's stuck with the swirly double-arrow thing in the middle of the screen. Reset button and power button don't do anything. Periodically it'll randomly restart itself, but goes right back to the same screen.

I've tried the reset sequence, but it seems to depend on holding "reset" and turning the machine on. Unfortunately, it's already on and will not seem to turn off. Should I just wait until the battery dies, plug it in and try to reset at that point? Anyone dealt with this before?
KD8COO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
How much stuff did you put on at one go and what sort of PDFs? OCRd (text) or just scanned (each page a jpg assembled into a PDF)?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
KD8COO

I was putting on one of the AFD PDFs. Around 20MB. They do have small graphics in them, but I'm guessing the text is really text (or it'd be a lot bigger).

For comparison, before I bought the 900, I borrowed a 505 and it had no problem handling a couple AFD images that I threw on it (and he had a bunch of books on it already).
Old 11-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I had something similar happen to me a few days ago on my 950. It was a bad EPUB file that also crashed the Sony Reader Library software. It would start loading with the arrows then reboot itself over and over. I plugged it into my computer with the USB cable which made it go into USB mode and stopped the reboot/reload cycling. Then I used Mac Finder (same as Windows Explorer) to open up the folders on my ereader. Go to database > media > books. I deleted the EPUB that I knew was bad. In your case, maybe you should delete all your files that you loaded. Then I ejected the ereader from the computer. It then reloaded like normal and was fine.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:54 AM   #5
KD8COO

Unfortunately, It won't connect to the computer. If I plug it in Windows throws a "the device you have connected has an error" message. The Reader continues to just sit there stuck too. If it reboots while connected it goes right back to being stuck. :-(
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
KD8COO

Great news! I plugged my reader into a Windows 7 computer at work today and the reader went into USB mode! Not sure why it won't do that at home, perhaps due to having the software loaded at home? Also, home is XP, maybe a difference there?

Anyways, I was able to access it as a drive, delete the books, then it started up! Still listed one of the books (even though deleted). That's the one I was downloading when it crashed. Had to remove that one on the reader itself too (probably to update an index or something). Back in business!

Whew! I was getting pretty worried there for awhile!
Old 11-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great news! I have a Mac so I'm not sure why it didn't work on your Win XP computer. I'm glad you were able to fix it!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I was thinking more about your problem with USB mode. In my Sony Reader Library preferences, I have it turned off so that it doesn't launch the Sony software automatically when I plug in my ereader. Your Windows 7 computer doesn't have the software installed. I wonder if your Windows XP computer was trying to launch the Reader Library to recognize your device and that's why it wouldn't go into USB mode? Just a thought in case you encounter this problem again.