Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Pebble as e-reader

I saw that Pebble is being sold thru Best Buy. Would it be possible to connect it to your phone and use it as an e-Ink reader? Or is the screen just too small?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
It looks like it can fit a medium length sentence on the screen... that seems just too small.

I would say 3" is (for me) the minimum practical size for reading. Anything smaller and I would get annoyed. And yes I know some people used PDA's with smaller screens.. I did say it was too small for me.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What's a "Pebble"? (other than a small stone, that is...)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What's a "Pebble"? (other than a small stone, that is...)
Smartwatch: http://getpebble.com/
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just watched the video and one bit of feedback they should have is the name could use a change. It's just a silly name.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I heard via Public Radio that Sony Japan is trying to trademark iWatch.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I heard via Public Radio that Sony Japan is trying to trademark iWatch.
Apache
They got it wrong; it is Apple trying to trademark the term.
All over, not just japan:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...ore-countries/
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
It looks like it can fit a medium length sentence on the screen... that seems just too small.
That, and holding your arm up all of the time would be uncomfortable.

I can see this thing being useful in situations where you're presenting small amounts of data: SMS messages, heart rate, GPS directions, and maybe even the time. In other words: stuff that fits on one screen and that you'd want to read at a glance. Books though are a bit long winded.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:38 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Since smart watches must be "connected" with a smart phone/tablet to provide data, I'll never have a need for one; though others will.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
They got it wrong; it is Apple trying to trademark the term.
All over, not just japan:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...ore-countries/
I think I got it wrong. Old age is a pitiful thing.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I think I got it wrong. Old age is a pitiful thing.
Apache
My money is on NPR; they get a lot of tech stuff wrong all the time.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #13
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Aside from scratching my urge to be Dick Tracy (wrist-phone) I don't get the appeal of smart watches. I used to wear a watch every waking hour but for the past five years or more I don't. The reason was time was suddenly presented all around me. The time is shown on my desk phone, PC, cell phone, cable box, TV, oven, fridge, microwave, and car radio. Ask me the time and I pull my cell phone to display it not significantly slower than I would look at a watch.

Now I get that there are other uses for a connected phone. But most of them, like viewing a text or e-mail, are just slightly more fashionable than when I look at my phone for the same purpose. My phone vibrates for the same quality of silent alert I'd get from a watch, aside from while asleep. Perhaps if I had that need while hang gliding or while hot-lapping a race car?

A heads-up display, like Google Glass, has more value to me.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Aside from scratching my urge to be Dick Tracy (wrist-phone) I don't get the appeal of smart watches. I used to wear a watch every waking hour but for the past five years or more I don't. The reason was time was suddenly presented all around me. The time is shown on my desk phone, PC, cell phone, cable box, TV, oven, fridge, microwave, and car radio. Ask me the time and I pull my cell phone to display it not significantly slower than I would look at a watch.

Now I get that there are other uses for a connected phone. But most of them, like viewing a text or e-mail, are just slightly more fashionable than when I look at my phone for the same purpose. My phone vibrates for the same quality of silent alert I'd get from a watch, aside from while asleep. Perhaps if I had that need while hang gliding or while hot-lapping a race car?

A heads-up display, like Google Glass, has more value to me.
Well put
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #15
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
My daddy taught me to wind my watch every night before going to bed, then I got an LED watch that I had to change the battery every few months depending on how often I lit it up, then I got an LCD watch and the battery would last for a year or two, then I got a solar powered watch that I never had to change the battery on. Why in the world would I go back to charging da buggah up every week?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote