Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #16
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Well it seems to be back to normal. I wiped yesterday, and I'm at 87% now at 5 pm. I'm slighty annoyed that I lost a lot of files during the backup, though it wasn't entirely unexpected.
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #17
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorlike View Post
Well it seems to be back to normal. I wiped yesterday, and I'm at 87% now at 5 pm. I'm slighty annoyed that I lost a lot of files during the backup, though it wasn't entirely unexpected.
What sort of files did you lose? Is this because the backup wasn't recent, or because the Apple backup mechanism is not comprehensive?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #18
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
What sort of files did you lose? Is this because the backup wasn't recent, or because the Apple backup mechanism is not comprehensive?
Well I "synced" when I plugged it in, and told it to backup just before restoring. I have no idea what went wrong, maybe I overlooked something. I lost mostly custom music files and ibooks PDFs - it kept everything I downloaded from Apple. Luckily I never trusted iTunes so I always kept a separate backup.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #19
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorlike View Post
Well I "synced" when I plugged it in, and told it to backup just before restoring. I have no idea what went wrong, maybe I overlooked something. I lost mostly custom music files and ibooks PDFs - it kept everything I downloaded from Apple. Luckily I never trusted iTunes so I always kept a separate backup.
Thanks. That's not good.

But I have heard somewhere of the loss of PDFs in iBooks. I hadn't heard about custom music files before, and that's a concern for me because all my music is non-iTunes. I read my PDFs in GoodReader for the most part, though, so I don't think I have anything to lose in iBooks if it's only PDFs. Still, such an open ended possibility of losing files is quite disconcerting...
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:19 AM   #20
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
I'm not an Apple expert so I apologise if this is a dumb question but....

Are we relying on the iPad battery indicator which may have been inaccurate in V3 and now could be (differently) inaccurate in V4?
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:44 AM   #21
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post

Are we relying on the iPad battery indicator which may have been inaccurate in V3 and now could be (differently) inaccurate in V4?
That would be like the first half of a petrol/gas gauge in a car reading differently than the last half.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #22
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post

I don't think so, I let the v3 battery run out & counted the hours a few times to confirm. The broken v4 battery actually ran out on me when I was watching video. That never happened on v3. I haven't let the new v4 battery run out, mostly because it's so high I don't see the need.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #23
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
Just for info. When restoring an iPad using iTunes, it does not restore media. It will restore apps and any data that an ipad holds, but not general itunes media.

As a result, the following is not automaticaly restored (or even backed up when you perform a backup).

Music
Videos
Films
TV Shows
Books (for iBooks)
In App Purchases

You are expected to resync this media back to it once you have restored (assuming you have the media elsewhere of course).

What is restored for example is

Goodreader and any books in that (as it stores books in its own App Data)
Zinio magazines (if zinio is setup to perform an iTunes backup)
Stanza and its books

Some magazine appsmay require you to download your magazines again.

I hope this helps.
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote