Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Debi
Connoisseur
Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Ipad Mini 2, Ipad Air 2
Getting A 900 - Accessorizing Questions

I have ordered a Sony 900. I thought it would be here next week but it looks like it will be 3 weeks. I sure hope that doesn't change.

In preparation I've installed Calibre and downloaded a book from Gutenberg to play with. Sony software will be next. I'm also researching libraries to see what I can get my hands on.

I do have a few questions. With the touch screen, can/should I use a screen protector? If yes, recommendations. I did a search and have only come up with one from Amazon. What are the pros and cons of a skin? Is a simple cream skin an option? Most of the ones I've seen look like they would be very distracting. Where can one get a replacement stylus? I think that's all for now.

Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions. It has been very helpful.
Debi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Welcome to the Daily Edition club. I have not found any screen protector that does not produce a noticeable reduction in print clarity. If you find one that doesn't let us all know. As far as skins go here is my opinion. Pro is you can make your reader have just the color and texture you want. Con is paying for something of no utilitarian benefit. Replacement stylus? I assume that one could be obtained from Sony (the expensive option) or anything of similar shape and size would do. My experience is that I hardly ever make use of the stylus.
Advert
Old 04-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
I've never used a screen protector on mine and have never had a problem. Of course, I rarely use the stylus to poke around on the screen.
I've never looked for a replacement stylus because I haven't lost mine yet!

For extra protection when transporting in my backpack, I put the reader in a cheap, padded envelope. works like a charm.
I don't use the giant protective case that comes with it. That thing is just too bulky imo.

Hope you get it soon. I love mine!
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
OakdaleMike
Enthusiast
OakdaleMike doesn't litterOakdaleMike doesn't litter

Device: PRS-900, rooted Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi View Post
I have ordered a Sony 900. I thought it would be here next week but it looks like it will be 3 weeks. I sure hope that doesn't change.
You scared the heck out of me -- I just ordered a 900 yesterday evening. However, I just got an email saying mine has been shipped. You must not have ordered from Sony directly?

Mike
OakdaleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
erasure25
Connoisseur
erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-505
As far as screen protector, I wouldn't bother. But then, I don't touch my screen with my fingers because I'm too busy eating LOL j/k sorta.

I do have a skin that I bought from iStyles. It was easy to install and makes my 900 look cool (IMHO)! It has no functional value, but I like it. You can use it with the factory cover and most other 3rd party covers.

I would invest in a book light if you don't already have one. I find reading indoors difficult without a book light (unless you have a dedicated overhead lamp that can be directed towards your screen at an angle). I have the Sony one, but recently switched to the Mighty Bright XtraFlex2, which is really bright. I love how the Sony one integrates, but because it only uses 1 AAA battery, I had to replace it constantly and it got annoying. Some people also say that it's too dim. The Might Bright uses 3 AAA and is very bright, but it is a separate clip on.

As for stylus, I actually carry a standalone in my bag... A Nintendo DS stylus of Bumblebee (go Autobots! LOL). It's bigger and more comfortable to hold. I use that one and only use the integrated stylus when needed.
erasure25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2010, 11:31 PM   #6
palo
Enthusiast
palo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T2
Unless you plan on downloading books from Sony I would skip their software and stick to Calibre - it does a much nicer and cleaner job of putting books on your machine

p
palo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:46 AM   #7
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Drag and drop may also be ok for organizing your books, depending on how you handle files and books.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I use both my fingers and the stylus on the screen all the time on my 900. I don't have a screen protector and the screen is fine.

I always carry a small cleaning cloth designed for electronic screens with the reader. So far this cloth and a few drops of water have kept my screen clean.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

When wiping the display be careful that you don't get debris between the rim and the display. So better wipe from the rim to the center of the display.
I don't really know if this is an issue with the 900 as I own a 600, but I assume that the design will be similar. There were people having their readers stuck because a little something pressed on the screen under the rim and didn't allow for other input (no touch, no buttons).
Old 04-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
My 900's screen is tough enough for me. No scratches so far and I'm not especially gentle. I keep a microfiber cloth handy to wipe off food and such, slightly damp with water to wipe off dried crusts.

The OEM cover is protective enough for general handling (not drops). The Case Logic case is great for rougher handling. I used that for transport on my motorcycle until I switched the cover to Sony's integrated-light cover. Since then I use a neoprene netbook zippered sleeve for rougher transit.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:21 PM   #11
Mike_73
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
...to wipe off food and such, slightly damp with water to wipe off dried crusts...
Wow. I meant I carefully eat while reading, trying to really not get anything on the display

I didn't think that the screen could be that tough
Old 04-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I also don't use a a screen protector. My 7 year old loves the drawing app so he is always scribbling away with the stylus and there are no scratches yet. I'm sure he presses a lot harder than I would ever dream of so I'd say the screen is pretty tough!

I use Calibre for almost everything, the only thing the Sony software is good for is ordering a collection so that is appears in a certain order in the reader. This is handy for my "to be read" list which is over 50 books now.

I don't have a skin for it and the only place it has been is the barn where I'm probably a bit over-protective of it
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #13
Debi
Connoisseur
Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Ipad Mini 2, Ipad Air 2
Let's see...
No screen protector
Get a new book light, some Nintendo DS styluses - do they make any for Animal Crossing?, microfiber cloth for cleaning, and a skin to pretty it up.
Consider a larger more structured purse that the carrying case will fit in for traveling.
Get a few library cards and have at it.
Did I miss anything?

Someone gave me a little book light that hooks over your ear like a bluetooth headset. Has anyone ever tried reading with something like that? I'm thinking it might be hard to angle it to not have the light reflected in the screen. It might be worth a try.
Debi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:35 AM   #14
Zorana
Zorana began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
Debi,

I have been using my Sony PRS-900 for two months now, and thought of the screen protector too. But, it looks like I won't need one in the end, since the screen is very tough, and beside very finger prints resistant. I don't know how Sony did it, but my congratulations! I touch the screen all the time - using stylus only occasionally - and it is always very clean. Wish my iPhone would be the same way.

As for the light, I tried different, and ended up with the cheapest, smallest Ikea clipping light which I can adjust where ever I want on the cover of my Sony, and which is even enough in the night, when I want to read in bed without switching any oder source of light.

Speaking about accessorizing, I bought two extra memory cards (Pro Duo), and I download my books on one, and my music on the other one. Actually, my plan is to have different books, and music on different cards, so that I can change when I want.

I would like to exchange more thoughts about new software, maybe more dictionaries (can they be installed at all?), so, keep us informed about what you got.

Enjoy your Sony, it is a great reader!
Zorana is offline   Reply With Quote