Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Txtr to go live in September with 200.000 commercial ePubs

We haven't heard anything new from the German, Berlin based startup textr for a while...well...until today.

A press release just found it's way into the mailbox giving us some very tasty news indeed.
The press release is in german, so I'm not posting the original here, but I'll try to translate as accurately as possible:

When the txtr eReading device gets officially introduced on the Frankfurt Book Fair 2009 txtr will also be offering the largest selection of commercial ePub documents (on the german market) to date.
Thanks to cooperation with the most important content aggregators for optimized digital content the txtr online community will be offering more than 200.000 commercial ePub documents in it's integrated online shop. In addition, there are already over a million free digital documents available at textr.com.

That is the main part of the press release. There is a pdf (in german) with a little more text which I'll be attaching to this post.

Comment ahead!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pressemitteilung Txtr Content final.pdf (57.5 KB, 1172 views)

Last edited by Nate the great; 06-10-2009 at 04:08 PM.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Great news Can't wait for this to come out.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
excellent news !! thank you for the update ! any info on price, and availability outside of germany ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
When the txtr eReading device gets officially introduced on the Frankfurt Book Fair 2009
Frankfurt Book Fair 2009 is scheduled 14-18 October
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
I'm rooting for Txtr. It might bring a fresh breeze on the market. And such a substantial backing with content in epub format is outstanding. Go txtr!
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #6
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have more or less decided to buy one, nice design and good functionality
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Nice design, I just wish it was a 10" reader I don't have a need for another small reader. Cool stuff
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I'm just happy to see more large-scale support for epub. If this keeps up, Amazon and others will have to support epub. If the rest of the world is using one format and you are using a different format, you lose.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
I'm just happy to see more large-scale support for epub. If this keeps up, Amazon and others will have to support epub. If the rest of the world is using one format and you are using a different format, you lose.
The lack of ePub support is the main reason I'm not interested in a Kindle DX. If they had ePub support with DRM, they would be the one to look at. I'm waiting for the first large screen device with Mobile ADE support. That will be the device to look at for a large screen device.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:19 AM   #10
moriakaice
Memento Mori
moriakaice began at the beginning.

Device: eClicto, iPad WiFi, Kindle 3 WiFi
Seems like ePUB is getting more and more hardware support. Our own company, Kolporter, is going to release eClicto reader with ePUB support.

eClicto size: 118 x 188 x 8,5 mm, weight: 174 g. SD support up to 4 GB. ePUB with DRM will be supported and non-DRMed PDF, TXT, HTML. mp3s/audiobooks, picture viewer (black and white, because it's said to be e-Ink). The price is expected to be under 300$ and the device is said to hit the market in September. They are planning to release platform with DRMed ePUB books to buy (although one can expect them to be mostly in Polish).

There are also rumors about bigger version: 10'' touch screen + WiFi and GSM module.

Info [in Polish, mind you, use some online translator if you need]: http://www.komputerwfirmie.org/artic...zi_Kindle_.htm

Oh, and sorry for kinda hijacking this topic
moriakaice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:36 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Most European publishers are going into epub. I know the major Dutch online bookshop will start to sell epub at the end of the summer.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:38 AM   #12
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriakaice
Our own company, Kolporter, is going to release eClicto reader with ePUB support.
Looks like yet another netronix to me. The size and weight seem to be about the same.
I've been there, done that, what I like about Txtr is the new exciting slider interface and the openness of the platform, something not many other liseuses can boast with.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:53 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriakaice View Post
eClicto size: 118 x 188 x 8,5 mm, weight: 174 g. SD support up to 4 GB.
ie a Netronix clone, looking the same as the CyBook Gen3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:09 AM   #14
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Txtr is also a platform for sharing public domain books. I have just created an account and will upload a few books in ePub-format (look for mtravellerh).

The books can also be read online and on iPhone (txtr app available on iTunes app store). The ePubs on txtr are fully justified.

I like the site's very nice, sober style and the ergonomic simplicity. Lots of Gutenberg texts and I guess all of Munsey's books are already available via txtr interface.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:17 AM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
Looks like yet another netronix to me. The size and weight seem to be about the same.
I've been there, done that, what I like about Txtr is the new exciting slider interface and the openness of the platform, something not many other liseuses can boast with.
That is the reason I want to buy one. I really want the possibility to add missing functionality myself.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote