Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Line indents using "<div>" tags

Book Designer, my preferred tool for creating books, produces HTML that uses <div> rather than <p> to define paragraphs.

I know that there are Mobi-specific parameters that one can add to a <p> tag to define the indentation of the line, but is there any equivalent (eg inline CSS) that can be used to achieve the same thing with a <div> tag?

My aim here is to be able to specify additional indentation for specific lines of poetry.

Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Here are 2 examples of the div tag that I got from Mobipocket. The style attribute works even though it's not listed as supported attribute.

<div style="border: 1px solid black; background-color: gray;"> </div>
<div align="center" bgcolor="#FFEBD6"> </div>

Here is a link to info on the div tag (not all will work in Mobipocket):
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_DIV.asp

I think it might be best to put each line of poetry in its own set of tags. If you need more indentation, I would recommend using &nbsp; (the non breaking space character). This will adjust better when changing the font size.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Create the CSS and use <div class="classname">text</div>
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd also recommend that you not try anything too complicated. Tag support is hit or miss in Mobipocket-particularly the older versions.

I'd be willing to test it for you if you want.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I'd also recommend that you not try anything too complicated. Tag support is hit or miss in Mobipocket-particularly the older versions.

I'd be willing to test it for you if you want.
Mobipocket Creator (publisher edition) will convert the CSS and tags into it's normal mess.
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Mobipocket Creator (publisher edition) will convert the CSS and tags into it's normal mess.
I meant to say Mobipocket Reader. Thanks for catching it.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I know that there are Mobi-specific parameters that one can add to a <p> tag to define the indentation of the line, but is there any equivalent (eg inline CSS) that can be used to achieve the same thing with a <div> tag?
Doesn't width="2em" work with <div> as well as with <p>? I know the "height" attribute for vertical spacing works with <div>, <blockquote>, <hX>, etc. (Note this is not standard HTML, but specific mobipocket code).

Personally, I use <p> for poetry lines (as for normal paragraphs). For each line I have <p height="0em" width="2em">, and I change the 0 and 2 if needed.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:26 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Presumably it would be best to use an "em" spacing, since this should scale with the font size, whereas "px" or "pt" won't?

I'll do some experiments and see what works best.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:07 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Using <div width="1em"> works beautifully! Thanks very much for the assistance.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:59 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
My pleasure. Now you can get rid of all the &nbsp; for indents
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:10 PM   #11
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
My pleasure. Now you can get rid of all the &nbsp; for indents
Oh, that's just a BD affliction...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:18 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The eBook I converted to ePub today uses a hanging indent and it works very well.

Code:
.calibre_class_17 {
    margin-top: 0%;
    text-indent: -3%;
    margin-left: 3%
    }