Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 05-17-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
babarous
Resident Lurker
babarous began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
Almost Decided on the EZ Reader

Hi guys,

Hey, I'll get right to the point: I really really like the look of the Hanlin (and it's derivatives), mostly because of it's broad format support and affordability relative to the other options. But I got a couple of questions that I couldn't find posted elsewhere (sorry if I missed them!):

1. I assume the Jinke/Hanlin supports Chinese characters - does anyone know if Thai script is supported? Or if the ebooks are pdf, perhaps everything within shows up fine?

2. PDF - I read a few things that intimated that it was a bit slow. I like Djvu, does anyone know if that works better than pdf (much smaller file sizes, and generally loads faster on the PC, I assume it would be faster on the ereader too)?

3. I like that it uses the regular old mobile phone battery. I live in a hot country where batteries don't last as long as they do in N. America/Europe. How hard is the EZ reader to open and replace this (12-18 months down the road if need be)?

Thanks very much.

-Babarous
babarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
I can't help you with your first two questions, but the battery is really easy to replace. In fact, some places you order the V3 from, it's the first thing you'll have to do when you open the package, then charge the device up for the first time. The screwdriver is even included.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
My friend and I do work with Jinke on Thai support and will start on Thai version in this October.
What we have now in Beta is Thai menu on Bookshelf, Coolreader 3 with E/T and T/E dictionary and Virtual Thai Keyboard.
Features will be released soon.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarous View Post
Hi guys,
<snip>
2. PDF - I read a few things that intimated that it was a bit slow. I like Djvu, does anyone know if that works better than pdf (much smaller file sizes, and generally loads faster on the PC, I assume it would be faster on the ereader too)?
DJVU works o.k, however a simple comparison with PDF is not really valid. DJVU is ideal for pure image files, however most PDFs are simply formatted text. If the PDF is used as container for images then DJVU will be better, however if the source is text (rather than an image of text) then PDF is probably to be preferred (to be honest I don't think DJVU would work with this sort of original anyway).

The DJVU format is optimised for page turning which is one reason to use it where appropriate.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
DJVU works o.k, however a simple comparison with PDF is not really valid. DJVU is ideal for pure image files, however most PDFs are simply formatted text. If the PDF is used as container for images then DJVU will be better, however if the source is text (rather than an image of text) then PDF is probably to be preferred (to be honest I don't think DJVU would work with this sort of original anyway).

The DJVU format is optimised for page turning which is one reason to use it where appropriate.

BobC
As nicely shown on the archive.org booksite
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
babarous
Resident Lurker
babarous began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
Thanks for the quick replies!

keng2000, glad to hear that things are almost "there" for Thai. Since I see you're in BKK - is there a place that sells the Hanlin in Thailand? I had planned to order it and have a friend bring it out when they travel here later this year. Pantip maybe?
babarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
I am not sure for the retail store yet,
It could be both Computer store and Book store.
Also It will support Thais who live aboard for newspaper and magazine subscription.
let you know when it is ready.
It is rebranded to "YANNAKORN" :the wisdom machine.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
helena
helena began at the beginning.

Device: lbook v3
I don't think PDF is too slow (I use a recent firmware, don't know how it is with the original firmware). I often use the custom PDF that feedbooks offers and find it the best format to read ebooks in, because I like the font (bookman) and the fixed pages.
helena is offline   Reply With Quote