Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 01-15-2009, 01:58 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Links opening in the same tab and other issues.

I love MobileRead and have found the advice given here very useful, but I do have a few suggestions and comments.

The main one is that links open in the same tab/window (or whatever the techie term is) as the forum. This leads to being logged out, and to losing my way back. Sometimes I just want to take a look at what the poster is refering to, but I'm becoming reluctant to do so for these reasons.

For some odd reason I find that I've been logged out of the forum even though I haven't been anywhere or logged off. I don't think this is because one of my cats has sat upon my computer mouse - this happens!

The index of formatted ebooks is great, but would be even better if it was browsable, maybe by category or format. Perhaps reviews of the books themselves, by people who've read them - as on manybooks - could be added.

Thanks for the work which has gone into creating the forum and all the well-informed and helpful peeps on here. (Was just logged out while previewing this and the cats were nowhere near the mouse!)
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:52 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Hi BookCat,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
For some odd reason I find that I've been logged out of the forum even though I haven't been anywhere or logged off.
To me this sounds to be Cookie-related. May I ask which browser you're using? Are you perhaps using some kind of browser/privacy extension preventing cookies from being stored on your computer? The way it works is that MobileRead keeps your login session stored in a cookie; when you log in (and click on "Remember Me?"), you shouldn't have to log in again even when leaving the site as long as the cookie can be stored on your computer.

Quote:
The index of formatted ebooks is great, but would be even better if it was browsable, maybe by category or format.
If you go to the index you should be able to browse by format and/or category. Check out the screenshot I attached for you.

Cheers,
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	genres.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	21310  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
The main one is that links open in the same tab/window (or whatever the techie term is) as the forum. This leads to being logged out, and to losing my way back. Sometimes I just want to take a look at what the poster is refering to, but I'm becoming reluctant to do so for these reasons.
Just use shift-click or wheel-click to open external links.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:15 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Just use shift-click or wheel-click to open external links.
I do that too, but I often forget as other forums I frequent always open links in a new window/tab. But at least I'm not the only one that noticed this behaviour
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:23 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I do that too, but I often forget as other forums I frequent always open links in a new window/tab. But at least I'm not the only one that noticed this behaviour
The default behavior would be to open a new window. However, it's been our experience that people prefer to decide for themselves when to open a new window and when not. I found this article quite interesting:

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/bew...ks-new-window/
Advert
Old 01-16-2009, 06:40 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
The default behavior would be to open a new window. However, it's been our experience that people prefer to decide for themselves when to open a new window and when not. I found this article quite interesting:

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/bew...ks-new-window/
IMHO that article is a load of rubbish. Most forums open links on a new tab/window and that's the expected behavior when using a forum.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
actually in webdesign it's "best practice" *not* to force a new window, for reasons of accessibility mainly. in fact the code "taget=blank" which opens a link in a new window has been deprecated by the W3C (Webstandards Consortium). forcing a new window is discouraged because (as they mention in the article that alex linked to) it makes browsing much more difficult (and sometimes impossible) in certain conditions. for instance, a visually impaired person who is browsing using a text synthesiser relies on navigating using keyboard shortcuts. as long as he stays in one window, he has a reasonable idea where he is and can use the back button when necessary. if you force a new window this person will be disoriented and lost. i have a blind friend who browses using this method and believe me he hates it when a site opens a new window without warning.

if you want a link to open in a new window, it's not hard to do it yourself : you can click the center wheel on your mouse to automatically open a link in a new tab in firefox (this is what i do), or use "right click --> open in new window", or CRTL + click... there are plenty of options. so MobileRead is following best practices by allowing you to decide whether you want a new window or not.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:53 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I keep explicitly middle-clicking (with Opera) when I want to open a link in a new window. It's usually possible (and easy) to open in a new window something that would normally open in the old one, the opposite is not true.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:16 AM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wasn't aware of the other ways of opening links and will try clicking my scroll wheel and the other methods suggested. It is standard on other forums to open links in new windows: I did some link checking for CatChat; one of the things I had to watch for was that the link opened a new window, otherwise it failed the check.

My browser is Firefox. I don't have Cookies disabled. I'm permanently logged into youtube in the way you describe, Alex. I'll try not signing off this site and keeping the cookies so I don't have to log back in. But I do get mysterious signed out while on site. Odd.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:24 AM   #10
BookCat
C L J

I've just read the article. I also disagree with it. New window make navigation easier: once you've seen what's in the link, you just clost the window, or click back to the original window. It's much easier than digging through "history" to find the forum again.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:48 AM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

BookCat, when you login to MR, did you check the "Remember Me?" button (next to where you enter your username and password)?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've just read the article. I also disagree with it. New window make navigation easier: once you've seen what's in the link, you just clost the window, or click back to the original window. It's much easier than digging through "history" to find the forum again.
opening a new window is easy to handle for people who have a minimum of experience with the internet, and have no disabilities. for a blind person using keyboard navigation and a text synthesiser, it's very difficult and confusing. it's important for websites to respect the accessibility standards so that everyone can have equal access to them. if you prefer to open a link in a new tab (as i do, also), it's very easy to do it yourself. i'm sure now you know how to do it, you will find it easy also.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i'm sure now you know how to do it, you will find it easy also.
And what's more important: you decide when to do it, and do not depend on what the designer of a site has considered as good for you...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
if you want a link to open in a new window, it's not hard to do it yourself : you can click the center wheel on your mouse to automatically open a link in a new tab in firefox (this is what i do), or use "right click --> open in new window", or CRTL + click... there are plenty of options. so MobileRead is following best practices by allowing you to decide whether you want a new window or not.
Hmm, I only have one wheel on my mouse... Does that make it the center wheel automatically? Because clicking it won't open any link (in a new screen or the current one)...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Hmm, I only have one wheel on my mouse... Does that make it the center wheel automatically? Because clicking it won't open any link (in a new screen or the current one)...
on my mouse, i have (in order) left button, (center) wheel, right button.

in IE7, Firefox, and google chrome (to name 3), a click on the wheel will automatically open the link in a new tab. you can also do that with right click > "open in new tab".

if you are using an older browser this may not work, but if you are using an older browser you should upgrade for MANY reasons and not just opening in new tab. i recommend upgrading to Firefox.