Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #16
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Oh sweet mother... my wife is going to hate you. I like woodworking and gardening... I just requested the catalogs and we're only about an hour an a half away from Vic.
Glad I could bring you over to the dark side (even if it means I may need to consider witness protection ). But I would agree with the others here that a lower power magnet (i.e. a fridge magnet) is likely a better option. Rare earth are great for holding a cover shut or something, but they are really powerful and may throw off things in the Kobo.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:06 AM   #17
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Here's one source:

www.leevalley.com
Lee Valley Tools
314 Wale Road
(250) 391-9553
Victoria BC V9B 0J8
Fax: (250) 391-9501

Latitude: 48° 26' 46" N
Longitude: 123° 28' 9" W

WARNING: if you are into woodworking or gardening visiting the store can be hazardous to your wallet and/or credit card
Heh. I live about a 5 minute bike ride away from Lee Valley's Victoria location. Thanks! Though I may try a thin fridge magnet as well since I have one of those kicking around.

Or... you know... I could just engage the power button the old fashioned way. No, that's just crazy talk. :P
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #18
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Here's one source:

www.leevalley.com
Lee Valley Tools
314 Wale Road
(250) 391-9553
Victoria BC V9B 0J8
Fax: (250) 391-9501

Latitude: 48° 26' 46" N
Longitude: 123° 28' 9" W

WARNING: if you are into woodworking or gardening visiting the store can be hazardous to your wallet and/or credit card
ACtually just about any thing in this store is worth the risk of a visit. And you are corect... very hazardous to you a wallet. And you can order online via the web!

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #19
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Created my own Magnetic switch

Hey all, someone mentioned rare earth magnets. But I found this item at Staples here in Canada... heres a link to the item

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...affixedcode=WW

What I did was break the 5 magents out of the holders and glue them into the pocket of my kobo cover. Right around the lower the right corner of the glo. It works perfectly. If you dont have a pocket in your cover I recommend just gluing the magnets with a small piece of felt to pad it so it does not damage your unit.

the total cost 2.56 + tax for the magnets and I allready had some crazy glue.

any way just an idea. The elastic strap covers are compatible with the glo.

regards

Jack

Last edited by jackastor; 10-05-2012 at 07:38 PM.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #20
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
I can't seem to turn my KT case to work as a sleep cover for my Glo using the magnets. I tried a few different ones, but I'm not sure if the problem is because they're too weak, or not of the right type, or I'm just not doing it right.

So, for the purpose of testing all the magnets lying around at my place, if I just hover the magnet over the lower right corner of the screen (and not the bevel), it should go to sleep right away, and if I move it farther, it should wake up?

EDIT: nvm, I got it, pretty happy with the result I may still end up investing in the official Glo sleepcover, simply because my Glo doesn't fit very snugly in my KT cover.

Last edited by kobokobe; 10-05-2012 at 06:49 PM.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #21
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
I ended up picking up the official Glo Sleepcover yesterday, and magnet or no magnet it's the best e-reader case I've yet owned. I like that it's form-fitting to the Glo (it clips in, rather than being strapped in), and its ergonomics are great for me. Also, while in the pre-order stage the leather Sleepcover was $49.99, it was only $39.99 in store when I got it which is more reasonable.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:06 AM   #22
judyz
Enthusiast
judyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-950
The saga continues... Both Coles Masonville and North London Chapters were supposed to have the Sleep Cover instock according to the website. Coles said they were in boxes in the back which she couldn't dig through because she was on her own. I can completely understand that. They would apparently get put away tomorrow and they couldn't put one aside for me because she wouldn't be in and didn't trust the others to actually do it. Bizzare. Her suggestion was running across to Chapters. She didn't offer to call ahead for us. She also told me that a Kobo Touch case would "fit just fine". I had to show her the difference by pulling out my Glo which was falling out of a official Kobo Touch case.

So we ran across to Chapters. They had a red one and a black one that appeared to have a paper/cardboard outside cover for $39.99 (the "PU" cases). I figured they would be scuffed in no time. The fabric one (Heather Grey) was supposed to be in stock but once again a pile of boxes in the back unpacked. They must have had 20 staff on at the time but nobody apparently openning boxes. A stocking crew would be in the next day sometime to do that job and once again nobody could put one aside or even tell me for sure when or if they might have them.

It seems like Chapters/Indigo are really falling behind. I try to support them but they are making it more and more difficult. Their stocking system and the poor overall customer experience are beginning to make me think they are a company that seriously needs a wakeup call.
judyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #23
Wibble
Wibble exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverWibble exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverWibble exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverWibble exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverWibble exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverWibble exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverWibble exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverWibble exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverWibble exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverWibble exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverWibble exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Glo
WHSmith's stock!

Hi,

I was in Shepherd's Bush today and decided to see if the WHSmith in the Westfield shopping centre had and sleep covers, to my surprise, they did!
They only had the black leather version, £39.99 so my friend and I both bought them on the spot! Apparently they received the stock yesterday. As an added bonus, they are giving out £5 gift cards for any Kobo accessories bought over £25 which can be used for anything in store.

Good luck!
Wibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #24
DouglasK
DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Onyx Note Air3, Kobo Aura HD, Nexus 7 (2013)
So, stores are getting (and selling out of) stock while the Glo Sleepcover I ordered from Chapters / Indigo in early September isn't shipped.

Has anyone else on here pre-ordered and actually received the cover or at least a notice that it's been shipped?
DouglasK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #25
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
But the magnet used by an actual SleepCover doesn't create a thick spot in the case right over the screen. Be careful if you put a magnet into the front of your non-SleepCover Kobo case, because pressure from it on the Glo's screen might break the screen.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #26
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibble View Post
Hi,

I was in Shepherd's Bush today and decided to see if the WHSmith in the Westfield shopping centre had and sleep covers, to my surprise, they did!
They only had the black leather version, £39.99 so my friend and I both bought them on the spot! Apparently they received the stock yesterday. As an added bonus, they are giving out £5 gift cards for any Kobo accessories bought over £25 which can be used for anything in store.

Good luck!
Pics please...
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #27
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This cover is a bit overpriced, granted. But it works for me fine and at work the turn-off function when closing the cover is very useful as I must stop reading at once when needed for my job.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #28
Wibble
Wibble exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverWibble exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverWibble exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverWibble exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverWibble exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverWibble exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverWibble exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverWibble exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverWibble exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverWibble exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverWibble exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Requested pics...

Here's some requested pics, not great quality but hope they help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover1.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	95000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover2.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	95001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover3.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	95002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover4.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	95003  
Old 10-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #29
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yeah, that's the one I have. But mine is black. There was no other choice of color over here so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibble View Post
Here's some requested pics, not great quality but hope they help!
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #30
Wibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Yeah, that's the one I have. But mine is black. There was no other choice of color over here so far.
That one's black too, just odd lighting. The first pics I took were too dark and you couldn't see any detail.

Great cover though, glad I managed to get one.