Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #151
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Black and white is a classic color combination. I think it will look really nice!
I hope so. I looked at the White cover with light, but didn't like the almost brownish cream color of the plastic bits. I think the black plastic cradle should contrast nicely with the white reader (hopefully!). Now to wait 3 weeks for it to get here.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #152
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I hope so. I looked at the White cover with light, but didn't like the almost brownish cream color of the plastic bits. I think the black plastic cradle should contrast nicely with the white reader (hopefully!). Now to wait 3 weeks for it to get here.
3 weeks is a long time to stay patient! I like the white T1's. If I had one, then I would get either the red or black cover for it specifically for the contrast. Let us know how you like it when you get it. I have the black T1, but I put a DecalGirl skin on it. The skin pattern has a white background. Here is a picture of it in the black Sony cover. It might help you visualize the combination better.

SeaBookGuy: That's funny! I had a roommate in college who was obsessed with cows. Don't know why... We had lots of cow-themed stuff in our apartment!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Paris Skin.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	80888  
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #153
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
3 weeks is a long time to stay patient! I like the white T1's. If I had one, then I would get either the red or black cover for it specifically for the contrast. Let us know how you like it when you get it. I have the black T1, but I put a DecalGirl skin on it. The skin pattern has a white background. Here is a picture of it in the black Sony cover. It might help you visualize the combination better.
Thanks, that does help. I think I'll like the combination of the black and white. It shouldn't be distracting and will add something different to the appearance.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #154
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I have a red T1 in my home now (it will be passed on to someon else after I have played with it - oops, I mean evaluated it) and it's in a white standard cover. Stunning!! I don't like the thought of ruining the great look of the red device with straps, and the plastic frame hold the reader REALLY securely (it's actually rather hard to get out of the case).
(Not sure how the white cover will look after some time, tucked in and out of handbags and what have you.)
Anyway, contrast is definitely a nice way to go!! And black/white is one of my favourite combinations! (Hence the dog! )

Last edited by Asawi; 01-07-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #155
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I have a red T1 in my home now (it will be passed on to someon else after I have played with it - oops, I mean evaluated it) and it's in a white standard cover. Stunning!!
That sounds lovely too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Not sure how the white cover will look after some time, tucked in and out of handbags and what have you.
I want to keep my pink 350 cover looking like new for as long as possible. I put my 350 with cover in a Ziploc bag when I carry it in my handbag.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #156
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightforx View Post
Case finally arrived. Pics as promised. This is the "Embrace" case. Looks okay, but it definitely fit the Kindle Touch better than the T1. It has a holder for the stylus as well. The T1 also has the Decal Girl matte black skin on.
The straps are defiantly not nice and a real good reason to avoid that cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #157
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1 (formerly PRS-500 & 505), iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The straps are defiantly not nice and a real good reason to avoid that cover.
I agree. I had a Tuff-Luv easel-style leather case for 505; it was just so beautiful, well-fitted, and rugged that I was really looking forward to their creation... but their selections for T1 are very disappointing.
soseono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #158
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by soseono View Post
I agree. I had a Tuff-Luv easel-style leather case for 505; it was just so beautiful, well-fitted, and rugged that I was really looking forward to their creation... but their selections for T1 are very disappointing.
It is a shame that companies selling covers for the K4 NT say it fits the T1 when really, it doesn't and the straps they use don't really work for the T1. They overlay the buttons and in case of tuff-luv, overlay the corner of the screen (just). Either it's for the T1 or it's not. The sizes are different enough that the case could be loose.

I would send that case back as it really doesn't work.

I do like the design of the Tuff-Luv hemp cases for the T1. Now if only they made them in leather in matching colors. All the leather T1 covers they make are garbage.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-07-2012 at 11:07 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #159
Kayo King
Kayo King began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightforx View Post
Case finally arrived. Pics as promised. This is the "Embrace" case. Looks okay, but it definitely fit the Kindle Touch better than the T1. It has a holder for the stylus as well. The T1 also has the Decal Girl matte black skin on.
Been waiting for pics since your first post! But I have a few more questions.
1. Is the band across the front decorative? How does the case stay shut?
2. How is access to the power button on the bottom? Looks like it might be covering the right edge.
3. How's the strap for one-handed reading?
4. Can you use the hole in the strap for one-handed landscape mode reading?
Kayo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:27 AM   #160
lightforx
Enthusiast
lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayo King View Post
Been waiting for pics since your first post! But I have a few more questions.
1. Is the band across the front decorative? How does the case stay shut?
2. How is access to the power button on the bottom? Looks like it might be covering the right edge.
3. How's the strap for one-handed reading?
4. Can you use the hole in the strap for one-handed landscape mode reading?
The band on the front is used to strap shut the case, not decorative. You can fold it flat for one-handed reading.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of the case. It was obviously made to fit the Kindle Touch only and not the T1. The bottom straps look horrid and is a bit loose on the T1 (they fit superbly on the KT). Thankfully I bought it not for myself but for my sister's KT.

I still think the T1 deserves a nice strapless case! Keep the front free of obstructions and the uglies! Best case is still the Sony one.
lightforx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #161
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
Spartechnik case Review, with pics

- First off, the SMELL: If your olfactories are in good working order you might want to consider opening this package outside. I got the case new years eve and the first thing I did was to send an email to the supplier, which was promptly answered 01-02 saying "The smell dissipates after a few days".

I'd kinda figured that for myself and put the case open side down on a radiator for a couple of nights, so the smell was already gone when I got their answer. Warning! My radiators only get warm enough that I can still touch them!

- The FITT: This case fits better than the Gecko and lots better than the Navitech. There is no danger of the T1 slipping out. The frame that actually pins down the reader is precisely cut plastic, embossed with a good leather imitation. It's slimmer than the Gecko, Navitech and lighted Sony covers, so it fits in all my jacket inside pockets(and it's light). With the others this is either impossible or a seriously tight fit. There's room for the stylus nonetheless.

Contrary to the other cases this one seems to have been designed with one handed reading in mind. When you fold the cover all the way back it's still one precise unit. With the other cases it always looks and feels kinda stupid(and difficult to hold). The camera's auto focus didn't give me a green light when I got any closer, but I hope this becomes apparent in the pic.

- The MATERIALS: The case is supposed to be leather, but the smell upon opening got me kinda sceptic, so I took it to an expert in town who really knows his business.

First off the man said the case is very well manufactured, BUT, since I was asking his opinion whether it's real leather he pointed out that nowadays the Asians make imitations so well that even experts can't tell just by look and feel. So he took a closer look and determined the inside cover is "split pig's leather" which is apparently so incredibly cheap that not even the Asians would want to imitate it.

I told him what I'd paid for it and that led to his determination that the outside material might be an imitation. The only way to say for sure would be to cut it open, scratch off the fleece and check from underneath. He offered to do it but that’s where I kinda said no thanks.

Incidentally, when I described the intense chemical smell(which was gone by then) the man had to admit that it speaks for real leather. Apparently, cheap asian leather imitations smell more like leather than leather!

Summing up, I really like this case. It looks and feels good. It's great for one handed reading so I even leave it on whilst reading in bed. It's really cheap, which makes me wonder. I hope it'll last long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild 1.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	81008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild 2.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	81009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild 3.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	81010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild 4.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	81011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild 5.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	81012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild 6.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	81013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild 7.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	81014  
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #162
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
One of the extra nice things about the standard Sony cover is that the stylus can be clipped to the inside of the spine.
Just goes to show - what one person loves, another hates. That was one feature I didn't like at all; I much prefer having an elastic holder.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #163
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
On Amazon.co.uk as well, I think:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Case-S...841865&sr=1-63

Looks similar to the Navitech from the outside, but the finish on the inside looks much better (althought it's still leaving the metal bit above the buttons uncovered). Have you noticed any other differences?
Yup, that's the one, since it's also the exact same place I got it.
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #164
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
One of the extra nice things about the standard Sony cover is that the stylus can be clipped to the inside of the spine.
I tried it and it didn't quite work. The space between the closed spine and the reader was tight enough that you might be able to clip the stylus on the outside, but not inside. And even if you clipped the stylus outside, it kind of got in the way when you fold the cover over to the back for one-handed reading.

Maybe the lighted cover has more space there, but with the non-lighted standard cover, once was enough to deter me from that.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #165
soseono
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibahbuzemann View Post
- The FITT: This case fits better than the Gecko and lots better than the Navitech. There is no danger of the T1 slipping out. The frame that actually pins down the reader is precisely cut plastic, embossed with a good leather imitation. It's slimmer than the Gecko, Navitech and lighted Sony covers, so it fits in all my jacket inside pockets(and it's light). With the others this is either impossible or a seriously tight fit. There's room for the stylus nonetheless.
I like that it covers the entire shiny plastic bezel on the front. No need for matte decals (= extra cost).