Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #76
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Yeah, the strap wouldn't be a big deal if they would just use the home button to come out of sleep mode. This request has been made a few times.
I like it being the top switch. Stops something pushing up against it in my backpack etc. accidently taking it out of sleep mode. I wouldn't want this change unless it was optional.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #77
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by molman View Post
I like it being the top switch. Stops something pushing up against it in my backpack etc. accidently taking it out of sleep mode. I wouldn't want this change unless it was optional.
I guess I was thinking of how the NOOKtouch is. You press the home button to come out of sleep mode then you are prompted to slide your finger across the screen to unlock it. There are to two lock icons separated by arrows (going from locked icon to unlocked icon). This would prevent the scenario you presented.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0106.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	593.6 KB
ID:	75211   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0108.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	640.4 KB
ID:	75212  

Last edited by SCION; 08-05-2011 at 07:29 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #78
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
A guy on eBay named nickman9081 has the Kobo Touch covers -- exact same ones Chapters and Indigo sell, complete with the Indigo cardboard insert -- for Cdn$19.95 instead of Cdn$29.95, and with free shipping in Canada. He's got 100% positive feedback, but that's all I know about him. He's also got the Roots leather pouches that Chaptes and Indog sell, for just $18.95, instead of the $31.95 Chapters charges. Just search on "Kobo touch" to find his listings. He's based in Kanata, Ontario.

[Edited: just ordered one from him; I live in Ontario, but he didn't charge me sales tax. W00t!]

Last edited by RobertJSawyer; 08-05-2011 at 08:54 PM.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #79
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I guess I was thinking of how the NOOKtouch is. You press the home button to come out of sleep mode then you are prompted to slide your finger across the screen to unlock it. There are to two lock icons separated by arrows (going from locked icon to unlocked icon). This would prevent the scenario you presented.
I'd be ok with that approach, though it would still technically come out of sleep (redraw screen) every time the button is pushed which would have to mean some charge loss, so honestly the current way is probably better and I'm sure proper cases will accomadate?
Old 08-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #80
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molman View Post
I'd be ok with that approach, though it would still technically come out of sleep (redraw screen) every time the button is pushed which would have to mean some charge loss, so honestly the current way is probably better and I'm sure proper cases will accomadate?
Like you said earlier, make it optional. I'm just giving ideas. Also, it doesn't have to redraw the screen like the NOOK when it comes out of sleep. The unlock screen can just be blank with a prompt.

Proper cases would accommodate the power switch. Every Kobo case I've seen (not including the Case Crown one) has a strap that covers the power switch. Lets us know if you find something.

Last edited by SCION; 08-05-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #81
molman
Evangelist

Quote:
Like you said earlier, make it optional. I'm just giving ideas. Also, it doesn't have to redraw the screen like the NOOK when it comes out of sleep. The unlock screen can just be blank with a prompt.

Proper cases would accommodate the power switch. Every Kobo case I've seen (not including the Case Crown one) has a strap that covers the power switch. Lets us know if you find something.
Sorry to nit-pick but those two nook photos show two different prompts at the bottom. I haven't looked into it but I guess these screens can do partial redraws, but either way it looks like after you push the nook button it then displays the unlock prompt? This redraw would still require some power draw (maybe so little to be irrelevant?).

Anyway, optional is totally fine with me :-)

As to case the KT isn't even sold locally for me, so case wise I haven't seen anything beyond the homemade and the few options that have pop'd up on the internet. I emailed Dodocase who have no plans for a KT case atm.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:34 AM   #82
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Picked up a leather case (Ex-point brand) at Borders today. They're 25% off ($30.23 including tax)...
They're 30% off. Looked at the receipt.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:34 AM   #83
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by khourianya View Post
That one looks to fit like the Werks case I had. I liked it well enough, but the elastic strap over the power switch got old quickly. Nice looking case, though.
Then go with the CaseCrown cover. It's well-made, inexpensive (as low as $13 from Amazon), and all the switches and ports are fully accessible with the cover in place.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:45 AM   #84
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
I ordered my CaseCrown via Senyx Direct also, although I went via eBay.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:15 AM   #85
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
[Edited: just ordered one from him; I live in Ontario, but he didn't charge me sales tax. W00t!]
Just ordered one as well! Don't have a Touch yet but do expect to get one this week so might just as well be prepared
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:10 AM   #86
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Then go with the CaseCrown cover. It's well-made, inexpensive (as low as $13 from Amazon), and all the switches and ports are fully accessible with the cover in place.
Already did I am now anxiously awaiting it's arrival with my KT in the Sony case again until it arrives (fingers crossed for early next week - it was shipped the 27th). I haven't been this excited for a parcel since my M-Edge cover LOL. The casecrown just has all the features I've been wanting: security, a way to protect the bezel from potentially discolouring with continued handling (my neurotic-ism, more than anything), port access, card pockets (I keep an indigo gift card in the front and add funds to the card whenever I'm in a store so I stay away from the visa. I also keep my library card in there for ebook borrowing).

Eeeeee! Can't wait!
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #87
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
A guy on eBay named nickman9081 has the Kobo Touch covers -- exact same ones Chapters and Indigo sell, complete with the Indigo cardboard insert -- for Cdn$19.95 instead of Cdn$29.95, and with free shipping in Canada. He's got 100% positive feedback, but that's all I know about him. He's also got the Roots leather pouches that Chaptes and Indog sell, for just $18.95, instead of the $31.95 Chapters charges. Just search on "Kobo touch" to find his listings. He's based in Kanata, Ontario.

Awesome find! Thanks!!!!
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:57 AM   #88
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to list
I know a few folks have talked about the fact that the dimensions of the Touch are pretty close to the specs for the Sony PRS-650. Well, I don't own a 650, but I happen to have an M-Edge Executive Jacket for the PRS-600 (which is a bit larger than the PRS-650, but still pretty close...unfortunately, M-Edge never made such a case for the PRS-650).

And I have to say, it actually does a pretty good job of holding the Kobo Touch. It's very slightly loose, but only just enough that the Touch might shift slightly if you push the top switch without bracing the reader with your thumb. However, under normal circumstances, the Kobo isn't going anywhere. And actually, adding a little bit of padding between the bottom straps and the reader would go a long ways towards keeping the Touch rigidly in place. The jacket itself is a little on the heavy side (quite a bit heavier than the Touch, in fact), but it's very, very protective. A good reason for option for the M-Edge case for the PRS-600? Due to the age of that model, and an apparent over-abundance of M-Edge jackets, they can be had on eBay for 7-10 bucks (shipping included), depending on the color and seller.

Attached are a few pictures to give a better sense of how the Kobo Touch sits in the case. The top right strap slightly overlaps the switch, but the switch can still be activated quite easily without moving the strap at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0246.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	75282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0247.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	75283   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0249.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	75284  

Last edited by nesler; 08-08-2011 at 05:59 AM.
nesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #89
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesler View Post
I know a few folks have talked about the fact that the dimensions of the Touch are pretty close to the specs for the Sony PRS-650. Well, I don't own a 650, but I happen to have an M-Edge Executive Jacket for the PRS-600 (which is a bit larger than the PRS-650, but still pretty close...unfortunately, M-Edge never made such a case for the PRS-650).

And I have to say, it actually does a pretty good job of holding the Kobo Touch. It's very slightly loose, but only just enough that the Touch might shift slightly if you push the top switch without bracing the reader with your thumb. However, under normal circumstances, the Kobo isn't going anywhere. And actually, adding a little bit of padding between the bottom straps and the reader would go a long ways towards keeping the Touch rigidly in place. The jacket itself is a little on the heavy side (quite a bit heavier than the Touch, in fact), but it's very, very protective. A good reason for option for the M-Edge case for the PRS-600? Due to the age of that model, and an apparent over-abundance of M-Edge jackets, they can be had on eBay for 7-10 bucks (shipping included), depending on the color and seller.

Attached are a few pictures to give a better sense of how the Kobo Touch sits in the case. The top right strap slightly overlaps the switch, but the switch can still be activated quite easily without moving the strap at all.
I have that same case. While it fits okay-ish - I find the KT is a touch short for it and have had it ejected into my bag more than once. I think I'll be really happy when my KT is secured into a case that is meant for it.

Good to know that the PRS-650 case they were selling wasn't actually one made for the 650 - I'd considered that as an option and then they pulled the cases from their store.

In other news, however, I noticed that M-Edge has added a "coming soon" for the Nook Touch and I think those cases should fit the KT...I'll wait for reviews first, though.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #90
khourianya
TechnoBookworm

WOOOT! My casecrown case arrived last night and it is PERFECT! Love it! What a difference it makes, having a case that is made for this device. Everything is accessible, my KT is secure and I am really happy about how much space this case frees up in my handbag LOL

Highly recommended. I'll be reviewing it on my blog this afternoon sometime. I am so happy I returned that Werx universal case for this one.

Tags
case, kobo, touch case stand easel