Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
raingod
raingod began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 and Kindle DX
Question updating the Browser on the DX?

Hi Guys,

i just joined the wonderful world of Kindles about a month ago, and what a month it's been

i've been testing out the amazon conversions (pdf to azw), calibre (pdf to mobi), and generally having fun.

i bought me and my wife each the Kindle 3G (latest Generation), and convinced my parents to buy one as well. initially, my thought was that the bigger screen on the DX will help them in their old(er) age.

just got the DX today and... i'm not sure about this. it's much heavier (which, following the laws of physics, DOES make sense - make the screen bigger, it'll weigh more), BUT, what i didn't expect is a browser that's inferior to the K3. and that's a big selling point for me when i "sold" the idea of the DX to my mom..

so, long story short(er), is there a way to update the browser on the DX? also, how do i find out which OS version i have?

thanks for reading!
raingod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, raingod.

Hopefully, Amazon will come out with updates for the DX soon......

I agree on the weight. I was lusting after one until I played with my SIL's and realized it was not a comfortable hold.

It does do pdf's way better tho.!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Your DXG probably came loaded with 2.5.5. You can see this by going home/menu/settings. Look at the bottom of the screen and it will tell you what version it is.

I have both the k3 (wife is now using this) and DXG (my favorite) and while I like the web browser on the k3 (esp. the zoom-in) I still like the DXG. Because of the larger screen, the DXG does not need to zoom much anyway. If you use the DXG in 'basic mode' it zooms up things a bit and displays complex pages like mobile ones. I like this feature.

I'm very happy with my DXG and am quietly-confident that Amazon will update it's PDF capabilities to closely match the current k3 PDF features. Not really sure I care about the browser features since I don't currently have a problem with my DXG browser.

If I were you, I'd keep the DXG and give your parents the k3. They can still crank up the font size ok and will probably find the lighter weight to be more comfortable. As long as you can handle the extra weight, the DXG is the world's best E-book reader imho.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
raingod
raingod began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 and Kindle DX
thanks for the quick reply guys...

i'm going traveling in a month - all over south east asia - one of the main reasons why i bought the K3 in the first place. the DX would be much too heavy for me to carry around...

i also checked the "basic" mode, and it still couldn't read Gmail - something my K3 CAN do..

i'm going to return the DX and just get them both the K3.

thanks again!
raingod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
The Kindle 3 has a completely different browser engine than the older Kindles as they decided to use WebKit as the rendering engine which is significantly more compatible with the standards and websites. There isn't any way currently of grafting it onto the older Kindles.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
browser, kindle3, kindledx