Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
eclecticguy
eclecticguy began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
< ol > "start attribute issue

Well, I completed conversion of my manuscript to ePub format. We are targeting the iPad for our first foray in to electronic books. I ran through epubcheck (1.0.5) and fixed a few minor problems. However, I am using numbered lists for footnotes - which I am putting at the bottom of each page. I thought using <ol start="x"> (where x= the first footnote number on that page) should work. It runs fine on the iPad. However, the validator generates an error saying "attribute "start" not allowed at this point; ignored.

Rather than hardcoding the numbers for the footnotes, is there a way to deal with this? I liked using <ol> since I get the correct wrapping behavior for long lines of footnote text. I had been using custom style code to do the same but it required quite a few lines of code to do what <ol> does succinctly.

I am also using this tag and attribute to create step numbers (this is a how to book on building fly fishing reels). It would be very painful to have to hard code those step numbers.

Apparently, the "start" attribute is deprecated but there is no suitable style defined to replace it.

cheers,
Michael

Last edited by eclecticguy; 06-07-2010 at 01:24 PM.
eclecticguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Hi Michael, i've edited your title because otherwise the html code makes the forum spy go a bit crazy. good luck getting your code sorted ; i'm sure someone will be able to give you a solution to your problem.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
We have already discussed it here. I think there's no good solution.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclecticguy View Post

Apparently, the "start" attribute is deprecated but there is no suitable style defined to replace it.

cheers,
Michael
So far as I can tell if the underlying HTML does not pass W3C validation it won't pass EPubcheck either. In fact I think EPubcheck is more demanding than browsers.

For what it is worth I had no problems with numbered footnotes within a chapter using <p></p> in 'Rosser, Ellen: The City of God, and Hamas' which I uploaded recently.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
eclecticguy
eclecticguy began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Alex, thanks. However, your footnote text does not exhibit the wrapping behavior I am looking for. Basically, I want wrapped lines to align underneath the start of the previous line and not underneath the footnote number. <ol> does this nicely. I had some style code that did this but it was pretty verbose.

cheers,
Michael
eclecticguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #6
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
The start attribute (for ol elements) is not valid XHTML, so it's not valid for ePubs. The correct way to handle this is through appropriate use of CSS - look at counter-reset for instance.

However before you get your hopes too far up, I will note that ADE does not handle this particular bit of CSS even though it should.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote