Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can sideload on Sony Readers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Nope... The Kobo Desktop app is ONLY used for direct downloads of books in Kobo eBook format (commonly called kEpub) to the device.

For regular ePubs you can either copy them directly via either the command line, or a file-system browser (ie Windows Explorer), or use a tool like Adobe Digital Edition or calibre.
Thanks for the correction!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #18
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I can sideload with my Sony 350 and T1 readers without using any dedicated program, via USB.

For devices like the Nook HD & HD+, I can also, in addition to adding books via USB, upload to cloud storage programs from my PC and access/copy the books to the device via WiFi.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #19
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
You can bypass MTP with ADB. A dirty method, sure, but it's worth the ~ 10 minutes to set up because it'll work with just about any future Android device as long as the development options are available. And then it's just as simple as:

1. Connect the device

2. Open the Terminal/ADB

3. If you want to install an app:

Code:
adb install draginyoursaidapptothewindow.apk
And then press ENTER.

If you want to push some files/folders.

Code:
adb push lalala.pdf /sdcard/
And then press ENTER.

If you want to pull something out, like all your photos:

Code:
adb pull /sdcard/Pictures/
And then press ENTER.

I don't do the whole plug in your device, mount the USB drive, dig through the folder/open the app thing. It takes too long.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #20
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, you have to use iTunes, but it still transfers via USB. I believe that with the Kobo you have to use a desktop app, too.
You don't have to use iTunes; you can e-mail it to your kindle address and then download it from your library with the Kindle app. No usb, and sideloaded books that are e-mailed will sync across all devices.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:24 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The word "sideloading" means "transferring via USB". I know you can email files to Amazon, but that - by definition - is not sideloading.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #22
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
The word "sideloading" means "transferring via USB".
Well, that or "transferring via memory card". Transferring directly between local devices, by whatever method.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:06 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Well, that or "transferring via memory card". Transferring directly between local devices, by whatever method.
Yes, absolutely. NOT downloading from the Internet, in other words. So while there are numerous methods of getting books onto an iPad (e-mail to Amazon, downloading from Dropbox, etc), such methods can't be described as "sideloading".
Old 06-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #24
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
The word "sideloading" means "transferring via USB".
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Quote:
NOT downloading from the Internet, in other words.
From a linguistic point of view, I always find it funny that the "normal" and "straightforward" behaviour is labelled as a kind of strange or wrong.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
From a linguistic point of view, I always find it funny that the "normal" and "straightforward" behaviour is labelled as a kind of strange or wrong.
Internet loading is the normal method on all modern readers - that's plain and simple "downloading". We use the term "sideloading" to indicate a loading method that's not the normal one.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #26
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Maybe I should not have made any assumptions about the "normal" or "most used" method to get your files to your reader. Taking your point of view, Harry, there is of course nothing funny or obscure in the wording.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #27
Alyssa Miranda
Connoisseur
Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle and Nook
Once again, thanks for all for the helpful responses.

As a final note, the user's manual for both the Kindle and Nook warn that the device should be electrically disconnected before physically unplugging it from the computer. For a Windows PC, this is done by clicking on the "hidden icons" arrow on the bottom tool bar, then clicking on the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon, then ejecting the device. Although I typically remove flash drives without going through all this, and without ill effect, I hesitate to not follow these instructions with the Kindle and Nook.
Alyssa Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #28
Alyssa Miranda
Connoisseur
Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle and Nook
Clarification of Kindle/Nook removal instructions

No sooner did I hit the "submit" button than I realized the instructions given in my previous post were for a PC running Windows 7. I don't know how they're implemented under Windows 8, or under the recent update to Windows 8, both of which have drastically altered the desktop. If someone has experience with these OS, how to sideload/disconnect e-readers under them could be a helpful post.
Alyssa Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #29
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa Miranda View Post
As a final note, the user's manual for both the Kindle and Nook warn that the device should be electrically disconnected before physically unplugging it from the computer.
Although I typically remove flash drives without going through all this, and without ill effect, I hesitate to not follow these instructions with the Kindle and Nook.
Can't speak for Nook or Kindle, but it is important to properly "unmount" the Kobo readers as you've described so I suspect the other 2 are the same. Not doing so can easily corrupt the database on the device and force a wipe/reset to get things back to normal. I think I've read a technical rationale for this behaviour on here, but I can't remember what it was.

Interestingly if you read the directions that come with a flash drive (in my defense, the only reason I did read them was regarding this very question ), these days they will mostly say you can just pull them safely with out unmounting them.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #30
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Interestingly if you read the directions that come with a flash drive (in my defense, the only reason I did read them was regarding this very question ), these days they will mostly say you can just pull them safely with out unmounting them.
On a linux system, sure. (unless you pull it out while in the middle of writing files.) But Windows always knows when I've done that and insist on checking the filesystem. And then saying there's nothing wrong. And then complaining next time as well. An easy fix (hah!) is to copy all files somewhere safe then reformat the USB drive. (I did that once in desperation.)

Obviously, Micro$oft has it in for linux users and uses this to sneakily cause trouble. ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote