Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Are you still looking forward to the Daily Edition?

... now that the Irex DR800SG has been announced?
Andanzas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:29 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Yes, because there is a better than even chance that Irex will somehow mess up the DR800. They've done it twice before.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
I would like a larger reader for library books. I had planned to buy the Daily Edition but the IRex will fill the bill if the user reviews come back positive. Honestly, if Amazon allowed the DX to get ADE format I would live with the DX around the house and the 505 for the road.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yes, because there is a better than even chance that Irex will somehow mess up the DR800. They've done it twice before.
Twice? Are you talking about their battery life issues? I am not familiar with Irex; their products were too expensive for me so I never paid attention to them.

Last edited by Andanzas; 10-02-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Andanzas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Once again the are releasing a reader with "to be continued" status. They did it with the illiad and then the DR1000. Although, my understanding is with the DR1000 they did deliver a firmware upgrade that improved the battery life and some other niggles.

So, I expect with the 800 they will deliver and improved firmware after the release.

But, you have to admit Sony has been pretty stingy with firmware upgrades also. The 505 has had 0 firmware upgrades since the ePUB support was added. Also, there has been no updates to it wrt dictionary support which they added in the 600 and I'm sure could be implemented in the 505 too.

Bookeen has also been promising (ok some people don't like that word) folder support for several years now. Even a month ago they posted about and imminent release with these features, and it still has not been delivered.

The Kindle has had no feature updates at all since it was released. The only updates we have seen have been the features delivered with the K2 and the only firmware "update" for the K2 has been to fix some wireless issues and the enable the ability to disable TTS.

I've gotta say, Jinkie seems to be the only manufacturer delivering firmware updates with new features.

We will have to wait and see.

But, it's been said many times before, if the device doesn't work out of the box doing what you want in the reader, don't buy it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 02:03 AM   #6
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I am still planning on getting the 900 Daily Edition. The "stylus only" touchscreen of the DR800SG is a turn off. And the manual page turn option is a no-go for someone who wants to turn the page with their right hand.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:24 AM   #7
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I'll wait for the PRS-305 with dictionary and the PRS-605 with anti-glare.

And the new 800 model, that's going to suprise everyone !
(why do you think they jumped up from 700 ~> 900 ? )
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:03 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Once again the are releasing a reader with "to be continued" status. They did it with the illiad and then the DR1000. Although, my understanding is with the DR1000 they did deliver a firmware upgrade that improved the battery life and some other niggles.
The DR1000 is a damned good machine, IMHO. What issues do you have with it, Bob?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Once again they are releasing a reader with "to be continued" status. They did it with the illiad and then the DR1000. Although, my understanding is with the DR1000 they did deliver a firmware upgrade that improved the battery life and some other niggles.

So, I expect with the 800 they will deliver and improved firmware after the release.

But, you have to admit Sony has been pretty stingy with firmware upgrades also. The 505 has had 0 firmware upgrades since the ePUB support was added. Also, there has been no updates to it wrt dictionary support which they added in the 600 and I'm sure could be implemented in the 505 too.

Bookeen has also been promising (ok some people don't like that word) folder support for several years now. Even a month ago they posted about and imminent release with these features, and it still has not been delivered.

The Kindle has had no feature updates at all since it was released. The only updates we have seen have been the features delivered with the K2 and the only firmware "update" for the K2 has been to fix some wireless issues and the enable the ability to disable TTS.
Did any of the other manufacturers release a device that lacked critical software like power management?

You mention that Sony and Amazon have not released any major firmware updates. Is there a core ability that needs to be repaired (not just tweaked)? I can't think of any, other than a few fringe geek-wants.

Both Sony and Amazon have released devices that could reasonably be described as post beta. Irex has not.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
nope. since the daily edition's wireless only connects to the sony store and (maybe) a few other limited places, it holds no attraction for me over the 600 (which i own).
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Both Sony and Amazon have released devices that could reasonably be described as post beta. Irex has not.
But if you buy a DR1000S today, you'll get a damned good machine. The current firmware works extremely well and is (for me) rock solid.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The DR1000 is a damned good machine, IMHO. What issues do you have with it, Bob?
Nothing at all. I was just pointing out it as an example of iRex delivering a device before it was fully baked but they DID in fact make good on their promises.

So, buying say a bookeen because they promise to add a future is a much more risky thing than buying an iRex with a future promised feature.

My only problem with the DR1000 to me is that I want one but it is really out of my "I want it" budget for what it is.

BOb
Old 09-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Did any of the other manufacturers release a device that lacked critical software like power management?

You mention that Sony and Amazon have not released any major firmware updates. Is there a core ability that needs to be repaired (not just tweaked)? I can't think of any, other than a few fringe geek-wants.

I agree with all you say. I was pointing out the facts as I see them and letting people judge on their own.

BOb
Old 09-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #14
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I admit to being in a quandary over the issue. The iRex as announced is almost just what I want but . . .
  1. I do not like the idea of needing to rely on the stylus
  2. The New York Times isn't available for it (I'm talking about an e-version of the daily p-version, not what appears at the NYT website)
  3. I'm concerned about iRex support

The Sony presents me with similar and different issues.
  1. The New York Times isn't available for it
  2. No access to the B&N store's DRM scheme
  3. Possible glare (not sure about this; I haven't seen a Sony touchscreen model yet)

The decision is complicated by 2 additional factors.
  1. The Plastic Logic vaporware. My hestation with this device (besides it being vaporware at the moment) is that PL has no customer satisfaction/tech support track record nor does any PL device have any quality track record. And I don't know if the NY Times will be one of its partners.
  2. My Sony 505. It works perfectly and I am very happy with it. The only 2 problems are that it doesn't support the B&N DRM and it is too small for the NY Times even if the Times were available. But I could easily go on with my p subscription to the Times and reading books on the 505 for years to come.

So, I will wait for the Sony 900 and compare it to the iRex, and probably still procrastinate.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #15
drmaxx
Connoisseur
drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!

Device: none
What's the benefit of an 8inch screen? Isn't that still too small for PDFs? My assumption is that you get the same benefits of a 6inch screen, except that the whole thing is bigger and heavier.
Can anybody with some experience with both sizes comment on that?
drmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote