Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-27-2014, 02:12 PM   #151
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattington View Post
This thread seems a bit old, but this seems like the right place to ask...

Is there any way to _remove_ system fonts from the Aura 6"? I'll never use the Dyslexie fonts included on my device, they just take up room in the font selection menu.

Cheers, and thanks for the work in fattening fonts and uploading them here - even though it was done years ago people (me!) are still stumbling on them and finding them useful.
I can't help you with this but thought I'd give your post a bump.
For fonts I assume you've also looked at this stickie?
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:46 PM   #152
Stunatra
Enthusiast
Stunatra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
OK, here's an even fatter Goudy and Garamond. Still haven't had the time to try them out myself, which is not very useful, anyway, since typeface is a matter of very personal taste. Don't hesitate to ask further weight, though the increments will get smaller and smaller.
Thanks so much for this! I've been looking for a heavier Garamond for ages!
Stunatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2014, 06:36 AM   #153
mattington
mattington began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura 6"
Quote:
I can't help you with this but thought I'd give your post a bump.
For fonts I assume you've also looked at this stickie?
Thanks for the bump, but I did find the answer to my question here. Good old tshering to the rescue again. Finally, no more Dyslexie.
mattington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #154
Stunatra
Enthusiast

Quote:
OK, here's an even fatter Goudy and Garamond. Still haven't had the time to try them out myself, which is not very useful, anyway, since typeface is a matter of very personal taste. Don't hesitate to ask further weight, though the increments will get smaller and smaller.
I've got the Font Creator Pro and I'm trying to add more weight to fonts through the Glyph Transformer, but I must be doing it wrong because they get too bold no matter how I play with the numbers. Any tips for a newb?
Old 06-03-2014, 01:46 AM   #155
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunatra View Post
I've got the Font Creator Pro and I'm trying to add more weight to fonts through the Glyph Transformer, but I must be doing it wrong because they get too bold no matter how I play with the numbers. Any tips for a newb?
These are good general setting to start with, though after that you may want to finetune.

Tools -> Glyph Transformer:

Regular fonts : Effects -> bold horizontal 25, vertical 20

Bold fonts : Outlines -> scale horizontal 100% vertical 110% + Effects -> bold horizontal 15, vertical 10
Advert
Old 06-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #156
Stunatra
Enthusiast

Even those figures are too bold, and some characters don't respond at all, they're too light and look like they're from another font altogether. I lowered them down to almost nothing, and same thing.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:19 AM   #157
bartveld
Evangelist

Quote:
Even those figures are too bold, and some characters don't respond at all, they're too light and look like they're from another font altogether. I lowered them down to almost nothing, and same thing.
Which font are you trying to fatten? Maybe I can have a go and see what happens...
Old 06-04-2014, 01:29 AM   #158
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Why don't you install the patch that gives you advanced font control over sideloaded fonts directly on the device? It works like a charm.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:08 AM   #159
Stunatra
Enthusiast

I've tried several with the same results.

This one here I'm quite fond of but it's too light

A little bit darker would be great.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #160
bartveld
Evangelist

Quote:
I've tried several with the same results.

This one here I'm quite fond of but it's too light

A little bit darker would be great.
Well, you haven´t exaggerated... this font turns out absolutely weird. I really can´t think of any cause for this behaviour, but it must be the font. Tried saving it as TTF first, but that didn´t do any good. And I´ve tried this:

Font -> Validate -> Next -> select Fix detected problems -> Next

Then there's still untoward behaviour but it's different. Maybe this will give you some ideas to work with. Sorry I can't offer you more assistance.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #161
Stunatra
Enthusiast

Aw shucks! I've mixed feelings here, for sure! I was hoping it was just me, but I'm also glad it's not. This has happened with half a dozen fonts I've tried so far. Maybe I'll try it on some fonts I don't like and see how it goes.

Thanks for giving it a try!
Old 06-04-2014, 11:12 PM   #162
mattington
mattington began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Why don't you install the patch that gives you advanced font control over sideloaded fonts directly on the device? It works like a charm.
I second this ^

So easy and useful; I generally like my fonts a bit darker when the backlight is on, this gives me the flexibility to do just that.
mattington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #163
Kyna
Kyna began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
How add custom fonts ?

Hello, I bought a Kobo Glo, I have updated, and I wonder how we have to do to add fonts of writing personalized please.

I created a folder named "fonts" and put my policies scriptures called this way:

But it does not work, italic and bold effect is don't displayed.
Do you have a solution please?
Thank you.

Last edited by Kyna; 10-05-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Kyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #164
Kyna
Kyna began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hello, I have that inside a "fonts" directory :

Example of font properties for gabriola-Italic.ttf :

My Kobo use the last firmware (3.8.0).

Bold and italic don't work for me, have you a solution please ?
Thanks.

Last edited by Kyna; 10-05-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Kyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #165
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Name them

Gabriola-Regular.ttf
Gabriola-Bold.ttf
Gabriola-Italic.ttf
Gabriola-BoldItalic.ttf

Also you have to restart your device after adding the fonts.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote