Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #3976
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Five days in, and no purchases so far in October!
I can't say the same. I caved and bought the book I mentioned earlier which was gradually creeping down in price. It hit £2.71 the other day, whereas the 50%-off price on Kobo was £3. Since I also had some No Rush credit, I thought I'd bite.

The book was Lamentation by Ken Scholes, by the way. If it's still going down, I don't want to know! (I have no idea if it's any good. I just decided not long ago I wanted to read every book that has ever been nominated for a David Gemmell Morningstar award, and this one was on the list. I'm buying too far ahead again, really, which is why my stats have been poor the last couple of months.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:03 PM   #3977
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Five days in, and no purchases so far in October!
Sigh. I wish I could say the same. I bought this month's Baen Bundle in a fit of "retail therapy". (Really stupid. One book in there I really wanted, a couple I might read, and an anthology that has one story in it I really want and a couple that might be mildly interesting.)

I also bought a couple of ebooks that I want to read, but don't need "right now". And that weren't on sale. Though one of them worked with a 50% Kobo coupon so I guess I don't feel so bad about that one.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2016, 05:24 PM   #3978
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I bought 1 ebook in September. This is not because I was showing enormous restraint so much as nothing really appealed to me more than what was already in my TBR. Amazon also makes it easy to return an ebook/audiobook you bought that you changed your mind about.

The thing is that I noticed that my overall purchasing is much less than it has been. Sales and $1.99 companion audiobooks are still a problem for me, but temptations from coupons are resisted a little better.

Last edited by Tarana; 10-05-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:17 AM   #3979
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Seven days in and my first purchase. £1.09 on the Old Venus anthology - new short stories but all set on a fictional Venus.

There are some authors I really like in the anthology.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #3980
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've had a good hard look at my buying over the year. I had made some mistakes in recording and classifying. I have now amended my record.

My bought count now stands at 224 for £335.60, putting me way over budget for the year, and leaving my TBR 22 up on the start of the year.

I have spent more on ebooks than the value of the ebooks I've read. That's also troubling.

I must try to be more careful when recording purchases next year.
Advert
Old 10-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #3981
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
I must try to be more careful when recording purchases next year.
That seems to be my big issue. And if I don't record them, I don't have a fair assessment of how much I'm truly spending.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:10 AM   #3982
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
That seems to be my big issue. And if I don't record them, I don't have a fair assessment of how much I'm truly spending.
I'm embarrassed to say that some of it was me fudging the issue a bit. E.g. not recording some books I bought for my wife, and not recording some comics in a humble bundle.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:40 PM   #3983
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm embarrassed to say that some of it was me fudging the issue a bit. E.g. not recording some books I bought for my wife, and not recording some comics in a humble bundle.
I think fudging is fair where it is books purchased for your wife or as a gift to someone else. After all, it's YOUR control you are working on, not hers. Now, the comics on the other hand....
Old 10-15-2016, 11:47 AM   #3984
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Oh boy, Harlequin's big sale is really tempting me. Plus some new books by some favorite Harlequin authors. I'm doooooooooooomed I tell you. Doomed. (At least they don't take too long to read)

I did the deed and bought some of the Harlequin books. The good (or bad) news is I can submit the receipt to Harlequin MyRewards and get points to get more books for free!

Last edited by PurpleStar; 10-15-2016 at 02:33 PM.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:19 PM   #3985
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
No posts in over a month. Have we all controlled our impulse buying?

One of my must-read author's (Preston & Child) latest was put on sale for $3.99 so I purchased it with left-over Kobo credit. I thought it was a good price for a book published last month selling originally for $13.99.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:42 PM   #3986
Tarana
Wizard

No. I caved yesterday and bought 3 books from Kobo. They are all part of a series my mom is reading (and I will eventually), Morland Dynasty. I joined their 'club' too, but if I would have waited an additional day, I could have received 4x points instead of 3x points. oh well. I have 4 books left to buy in that series. She has either completed the series or put it on a long hiatus since there hasn't been a new one in 3 years. Of course, she's been putting out more Bill Slider books, so maybe just changed her focus.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:38 AM   #3987
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
No posts in over a month. Have we all controlled our impulse buying?

One of my must-read author's (Preston & Child) latest was put on sale for $3.99 so I purchased it with left-over Kobo credit. I thought it was a good price for a book published last month selling originally for $13.99.
Are you kidding?
I recently bought the newest Safehold novel right after it was released. I know many people would not buy it right after it's release. I read it and for me it was worth every penny.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:09 PM   #3988
Tarana
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Are you kidding?
I recently bought the newest Safehold novel right after it was released. I know many people would not buy it right after it's release. I read it and for me it was worth every penny.
Apache
Yes, but in the mind of we addicts, you did good. You bought a book and read it RIGHT AWAY!! Your TBR didn't have to be increased by 1. Good work!
Old 11-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #3989
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I've bought no books so far this month and only 1 last month and have enough no-rush credits to cover the pre-order I have for January 1st. I think I might be cured...
Only 260 books left in my TBR (including freebies).
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:04 PM   #3990
Tarana
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
I've bought no books so far this month and only 1 last month and have enough no-rush credits to cover the pre-order I have for January 1st. I think I might be cured...
Only 260 books left in my TBR (including freebies).
Yay!! I'm VERY proud of you. You are never cured... you must remain vigilant.