Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #16
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Managing this process with Mobipocket or even MS Lit was not too much of a problem, but I'm realizing it will be a little more complicated with Amazon since you have to fix it by book. Stripping the drm and keeping a copy on the pc seems easier in some respects, but you lose the flexibility of having all of your purchases accessible online. Hopefully they will streamline this in the future.

As a side note, I just returned from Greece and was surprised to see multiple Kindle's in use on the plane. I've only ever seen one or two Sony readers in use when I travel and never more than one other user on the same flight. I guess we're starting to see better penetration of ereaders in the market.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #17
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Harry T...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Really? So if you have two Kindles, you have to download the files twice - once for each Kindle - and the file for one Kindle won't work on the other? Doesn't that make it somewhat difficult to keep personal backups of your books on your PC, for example? How do you know which file is for which Kindle?
Harry T,

The only way to confirm which files to backup from a particular Kindle is provided on the "Manage Your Kindle" page of one's Amazon account. There is a drop-down menu from which one can select the desired Kindle by its given name and then a refreshed list appears showing the "Delivery Status," or list of downloads, for that particular Kindle.

-Pat
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:02 AM   #18
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
On the bright side, this means you can share books with your friends with Kindles without busting the DRM. It's a bit cumbersome because you have to deregister, register, deregister and register again but it's doable.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:13 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
On the bright side, this means you can share books with your friends with Kindles without busting the DRM. It's a bit cumbersome because you have to deregister, register, deregister and register again but it's doable.
You can do the same with Mobi DRM too. Simply add your friend's device ID to the list and redownload the book.

This may be prohibited by the bookstore's T&Cs of course, but that's a separate issue.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:08 AM   #20
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
You've got it. Indeed, backing up the Kindle books to your PC is almost pointless unless you strip the DRM from them.
As you have noted, backups won't help with respect to copying books to an upgraded or replacement Kindle, but it is very handy to have all your purchased books on your hard drive in case there is a problem with the Amazon servers (not uncommon).

I keep two copies of every book I purchase - one for my Kindle and one for my wife's. I have had my K2 replaced a number of times for sunfade and other issues, so I have had to have CS refund a few books so I could get them when they were not able to reset the license counters. It definitely appears their DRM system is still working out bugs 19 months into the product.

El
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #21
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
it also depends on how long the store retains books on your behalf.

one that i downloaded 9 months ago from BoB is no longer available for me to download.

i.e. my order area contains the books ordered but they are no longer stored in my bookshelf.

at least FW have not deleted my bookshelf from their servers.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #22
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
it also depends on how long the store retains books on your behalf.

one that i downloaded 9 months ago from BoB is no longer available for me to download.

i.e. my order area contains the books ordered but they are no longer stored in my bookshelf.

at least FW have not deleted my bookshelf from their servers.

That worries me. I can't believe BoB did not state that policy, at least I've never seen anything about deleting your books after a certain period!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #23
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Would someone with a Kindle be willin to do the experiment? That is, repeatedly download and delete a book on your Kindle from the Amazon store. But make it a book you're not worried about losing!

If you can still download after 20 times, that would indicate that the original article was mistaken.

And if you can't I think it's something Kindle owners need confirmed.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #24
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Would someone with a Kindle be willin to do the experiment? That is, repeatedly download and delete a book on your Kindle from the Amazon store. But make it a book you're not worried about losing!

If you can still download after 20 times, that would indicate that the original article was mistaken.

And if you can't I think it's something Kindle owners need confirmed.
People have been doing it, though I haven't seen any reports of 20 times. The original article is mistaken, and he's confusing the device limitation with a download one.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #25
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Really? So if you have two Kindles, you have to download the files twice - once for each Kindle - and the file for one Kindle won't work on the other? Doesn't that make it somewhat difficult to keep personal backups of your books on your PC, for example? How do you know which file is for which Kindle?
Um, you put the files for Kindle 1 in the Kindle 1 folder, and the files for Kindle 2 in the Kindle 2 folder?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #26
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
You've got it. Indeed, backing up the Kindle books to your PC is almost pointless unless you strip the DRM from them.
I keep the backups in a folder that has a simple text file in it with the PID. That's just insurance! I experimented with the deDRM routine to make sure I knew how to run it, but have not routinely unlocked any of my Kindle content.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:25 PM   #27
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But if you don't remove the DRM, the backups are pointless, as you won't be able to move them to another device. If you delete the book from your Kindle, you can re-downlaod it from Amazon. If you have to replace your Kindle, your PC backed up files won't work because the have the wrong PID; you have to redownload them from Amazon.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #28
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
But if your internet connection is down, or Amazon suddenly loses servers, etc., you can copy your backup copy back to the original Kindle from your backup.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:49 AM   #29
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
But if your internet connection is down, or Amazon suddenly loses servers, etc., you can copy your backup copy back to the original Kindle from your backup.
True. Like I said before (but forgot to qualify the second time) it's *almost* pointless.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #30
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
And this is what my brother wanted me to jump in the middle of. There are lots of things I like about the K2 - but man the DRM system seems annoying.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote