Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #76
iamosam
Enthusiast
iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
According to crimefictionlover (http://www.crimefictionlover.com/201...an-hardboiled/), Americas current top five hard boiled writers are James Ellroy, Carl Hiaasen, Dennis Lehane, Walter Mosley, and George Pelecanos.
iamosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #77
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamosam View Post
... and George Pelecanos.
Thanks, iamosam! Based on your post, I read George Pelecanos' The Night Gardener (which was on my TBR list for a while) and it was really good. Apparently the author interviewed actual Washington D.C. police officers and I think the banter between the officers in the book sounds spot on.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:06 PM   #78
wminot
wminot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Favorite Mystery writers

I like the Brits best. Especially Josephine Tey.
wminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:52 AM   #79
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Oh, I didn't know Stephen Cannell died. I enjoyed his series too.
Yep it was skin cancer I believe that did him in. I had no idea he wrote fiction books. I know he created a lot of TV shows over the years but had no idea he'd written books as well.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #80
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
You have a ton of really good reading ahead of you if you choose to read his books. His Shane Scully series is excellent and his stand-alones are equally good.

Other recommendations are;
Dave Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter series
Jonothan King's Max Freeman series
John Locke's Carson Ryder series
Rick Murcer's Manny williams series
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #81
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Yes, I agree. His Shane Scully books are very good. I don't think I've read his stand alones, but I bet they would make good audio books for the car. I never saw any of the tv movies or such because I don't watch tv.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:42 PM   #82
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
All of his standalones are excellent except At First Sight. Rockford Files and A-Team were two of my favorite series. He also did Greatest American Hero.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #83
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
All of his standalones are excellent except At First Sight. Rockford Files and A-Team were two of my favorite series. He also did Greatest American Hero.
Thanks. I'm always looking for something that will also appeal to husband for road trips and that can be difficult, but his writing style is one that is likely to appeal to both. And husband isn't much interested in series either so stand alones are perfect!
Old 03-14-2014, 10:27 PM   #84
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I haven't read them yet but there are some collections of hardboiled stories at Amazon under the title of "Beat to a pulp." They aren't novels of course but there are a number of authors represented in each one and some of them have other works that might be longer. So you can get a look at their writing styles in the short works before dipping into a longer tale.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:58 AM   #85
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I haven't read them yet but there are some collections of hardboiled stories at Amazon under the title of "Beat to a pulp." They aren't novels of course but there are a number of authors represented in each one and some of them have other works that might be longer. So you can get a look at their writing styles in the short works before dipping into a longer tale.
We tried some shorts a couple of times on the last roadtrip. Didn't work out at all. I like the idea, but the vast majority of the stories were just plain awful. I had checked out the famous collections of mystery series put together by a famous editor...name starts with a "P" I think. His last name. Anyway, there was one story in there out of several sets we liked. Not much room for character development and by and large some of the most depressing garbage we'd ever listened to.

I think we both decided we'd rather listen to longer works.

I do read short stories, but generally only AFTER I like the author. Collections are just too off the wall for me. I tend to like collections by one author that stick to the same characters like Frank Tuttle's Wistril Compleat. Nancy Fulda has a collection that has various stories and characters and I liked about half of those--but I like her caper, adventure stuff, not that darker stories.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #86
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
We tried some shorts a couple of times on the last roadtrip. Didn't work out at all. I like the idea, but the vast majority of the stories were just plain awful. I had checked out the famous collections of mystery series put together by a famous editor...name starts with a "P" I think. His last name. Anyway, there was one story in there out of several sets we liked. Not much room for character development and by and large some of the most depressing garbage we'd ever listened to.
Otto Penzler?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #87
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Otto Penzler?
YES! That is him. I've tried about three of those "Best of" by the year and I have loathed every single one. Hmph. (There was an occasional good story in there, but by and large, far to dark and dank for me.)
Old 03-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #88
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
YES! That is him. I've tried about three of those "Best of" by the year and I have loathed every single one. Hmph. (There was an occasional good story in there, but by and large, far to dark and dank for me.)
I haven't tried those, but Penzler has also put together giant collections of older material by established authors--e.g., The Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps, and The Black Lizard Big Book of Black Mask Stories.

Also, Downpour.com has 11 collections of Black Mask stories for $5.95 apiece. That was initially advertised as a sale price, but they've stayed that price for months.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:53 PM   #89
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Many anthologies these days attempt to showcase new authors along with several seasoned authors to help the sales. Big name authors often donate their stories to help.

I have read several Penzler anthologies and they are noir generally, but I like that on occasion.

I have 'discovered' at least one unread (by me) author per anthology that I really liked. So it has been worth it IMO.

Penzler anthologies are overly long though and it does seem as if you are choking it down after the first 3-400 pages.

I do like that they are trying to promote less known authors though and find the stories to be well written and edited etc. even if I find that some do not appeal to me.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #90
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Many anthologies these days attempt to showcase new authors along with several seasoned authors to help the sales. Big name authors often donate their stories to help.

I have read several Penzler anthologies and they are noir generally, but I like that on occasion.

I have 'discovered' at least one unread (by me) author per anthology that I really liked. So it has been worth it IMO.

Penzler anthologies are overly long though and it does seem as if you are choking it down after the first 3-400 pages.

I do like that they are trying to promote less known authors though and find the stories to be well written and edited etc. even if I find that some do not appeal to me.

Helen

I do like an antho on occasion. But I will not try any more Otto P. books. I really loathed them and in the one case we kept listening to the stories because we didn't have anything else. That was a mistake. LOATHED.

I do like noir now and then. But it is probably one of my least favorite genres. It's not one I follow, but I read Carol O'Connell and I've read some Ken Bruen. I avoid most noir these days.