Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
ishdhand
ishdhand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
A kindle with half a screen!

My Kindle Keyboard 3G has a cracked screen. The top half is working as usual, but the bottom half is frozen. Is there any hack that I can install that will help me use just the top half for reading books?

ps: I'm out of warranty. I can't replace
ishdhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishdhand View Post
My Kindle Keyboard 3G has a cracked screen. The top half is working as usual, but the bottom half is frozen. Is there any hack that I can install that will help me use just the top half for reading books?

"Somebody" could write a program that shrinks and rotates the screen to fit the good part of the screen (which should work okay if you select a larger font). For now, you can use a little K3 program I published that lets you scroll the physical framebuffer (screen contents) for somebody who had a cracked screen. It is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1856086

You may notice the "funky" self-made "license/disclaimer" in the source code. I use the MIT license these days, so use that if you need an officially-recognized license.

You need to compile it from the source in the code box. You can use the tcc (tinycc) package that works on all eink kindles to do that. Look in the Tools index for tcc.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-01-2012 at 12:56 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
In lieu of that, you could still contact Kindle support and see what they could do for you. You may get an offer for a cheaper newer model.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Ooh, I couldn't imagine reading on less than a 6" screen. I agree with contacting Kindle Support, they may take pity on you. If you are in the US:

Amazon Kindle customer service (1-866-321-8851)
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Absolutely!
Give a call to Kindle Customer Support. They may have good offers for you.
After all, they want you to continue buying books from them (assuming that is what you have been doing so far)

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
For now, you can use a little K3 program I published that lets you scroll the physical framebuffer (screen contents) for somebody who had a cracked screen. It is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1856086

You need to compile it from the source in the code box. You can use the tcc (tinycc) package that works on all eink kindles to do that. Look in the Tools index for tcc.
hi geekmaster, are there simple step by step instructions somewhere on how to implement this program. I'd like something to refer to in the event I mess up at some point.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezebel View Post
hi geekmaster, are there simple step by step instructions somewhere on how to implement this program. I'd like something to refer to in the event I mess up at some point.
It was written for a K3. At the provided link there is a scroll.ini file that works with launchpad to control scrolling. The download file contains a bug, so you need to compile the source code provided in the code box as I mentioned above. I may get around to compiling and reuploading it one of these days if there is a demand for it. Or you can compile it with tcc (from the dev corner / master index sticky / tools index).
Old 08-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
thanks, I will give it a try. Is there a possibility I could totally brick my K3 if I do something wrong?
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Neat idea to keep it limping along, but you might want to consider the fact that once the glass has broken it likely has additional stress fractures and will probably get worse soon.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezebel View Post
thanks, I will give it a try. Is there a possibility I could totally brick my K3 if I do something wrong?
Not by running launchpad and the scroll program. Of course, you could do something ELSE wrong using DIFFERENT software.

EDIT: I compiled and uploaded scroll-1.4 to the linked post above. It contains some code updates beyond what is shown in the code box, and the compiled scroll program. I was not able to test it now. Let me know how it works for you.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-03-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishdhand View Post

I strongly recommend contacting Kindle Customer Support. (NB Kindle Support, not Amazon Support - they are different.)

They might well be able to help.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #12
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I strongly recommend contacting Kindle Customer Support. (NB Kindle Support, not Amazon Support - they are different.)

They might well be able to help.
I have one with a cracked screen. They offered me a replacement for half list price (which is more than I originally paid for it WITH a leather m-edge cover and light). I guess it all depends on which support person you talk to at amazon.

Tags
broken screen, keyboard