Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post

You've used troll incorrectly. That's not what it means. It has to do with online chats, not forums.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:39 AM   #17
eping
ePub Maker
eping began at the beginning.

Device: iPad,Kindle 3, Nook 2
Adjust & thydere, thanks for your answers.

I don't know why other OSs accept a folder name
starting or ending with a space, is there any use of that?
Invisible characters always make troubles.
eping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:38 AM   #18
thydere
thydere began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Hmm I think the second part of my statement was a bit ambiguous.

The fact that you can put spaces at the start or end of a directory is only relevant if you use some kind of zip tool for your conversion. These tools usually work by creating a zip that mirror your directory layout - and thus your invalid META-INF dir in the case of the "dumb" zip tool. More "intelligent" tools that are specifically geared for ebook creation (i've seen a window frontend flying around here somewhere, though i've no experience with it) should detect that error and warn the user. And in the former case those errors are easily detected anyway.

However most end users won't create the ebook layout themselves but let backend tools do the work (Illustrator, calibre, whatchamacalit). Meaning that the creation of the zip file and its content is in the hand of the generator software - and if something goes wrong at that part it doesn't really matter with which operation system you're working. A bug is a bug is a bug...

That being said: as i mentioned earlier the space makes the container entry a different one than the expected entry. It doesn't matter whether you put a space or an underscore or a love letter in it - it differs from the spec so if that was your intended container entry then it's missing. Apart from those two files you're pretty free to use any naming convention you prefer. And if those are to put spaces around your filename.... then by all means do just that - they're valid entries.
thydere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #19
Baltic Gal
Baltic Gal began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thank you so much everyone! This problem was making my lupus flare up it was upsetting me so much!

I now know what to look for in the future. The funny thing about the src mistakes is they came up the first time I ran the epub through the validator, and I had thought I had corrected those. I have a lot of health problems and they tend to flare up and give me a foggy head. So, mistakes happen.

Thank you again so much.
Baltic Gal is offline   Reply With Quote