Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quick Question Regarding Authors

How do I configure this program so the title of the book does not have the author?

Is there a way the title can have the title only?

Last edited by ThomasMcKean; 09-19-2009 at 10:04 PM.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
I'm not sure what you're asking. None of my titles contain the author. Do you mean you want the file names to not contain the author?

You can edit the metadata by using the "Edit meta information" button.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
I'm not sure what you're asking. None of my titles contain the author. Do you mean you want the file names to not contain the author?

You can edit the metadata by using the "Edit meta information" button.
I tried that. Even if I leave it blank the author comes up Unkown.

Example.

The Shadow - Unknown.pdb

How can I make the filename say

The Shadow.pdb

I know there is an easy way, but after tinkering with the settings, I haven't found it!
Old 09-19-2009, 10:07 PM   #4
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Preferences -> Add/Save

Change the regular expression from "(?P<title>.+) - (?P<author>[^_]+)" to "(?P<title>.+)".

I think that should work.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #5
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Preferences -> Add/Save

Change the regular expression from "(?P<title>.+) - (?P<author>[^_]+)" to "(?P<title>.+)".

I think that should work.
Not working. It seems to be as if when there is no author, the author comes up UNKNOWN. Who the heck wants to see UNKNOWN in the title of the book? Unless it is part of the title of the book?

It was a good thought. And it should work. I wonder why it isn't working?

The TITLE seems to work for the folder, but not the title itself. If I had a file named "The Shadow.txt" it would upload as

"Unknown/The Shadow/The Shadow - Unknown.txt"

I have REMOVED all pointers to the authors under ADD/SAVE and yet they turn up anyway? I even exited the program and reloaded and still it happens? Is this a bug in Calibre, or am I in the wrong parameter?

Last edited by ThomasMcKean; 09-19-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
Superlucky
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
Not working. It seems to be as if when there is no author, the author comes up UNKNOWN. Who the heck wants to see UNKNOWN in the title of the book? Unless it is part of the title of the book?

It was a good thought. And it should work. I wonder why it isn't working?
Did you restart calibre? You may have to re-import your books.

I think you are confusing the title field of the meta data and the actual file name. Most people who use calibre read on a reading device that just shows the meta data. The actual file names are hidden.

**Edit**

I told you wrong. It should be Preferences -> Add/Save -> Save tab

change "{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}" to "{author_sort}/{title}".

Last edited by Superlucky; 09-19-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Did you restart calibre? You may have to re-import your books.

I think you are confusing the title field of the meta data and the actual file name. Most people who use calibre read on a reading device that just shows the meta data. The actual file names are hidden.
I *have* re-imported my books. many many times! ARGH!

I am reading on an EZ Reader Pocket Pro. Seems more interested in the filename from what I can see....? At least at the menu, which is where it counts.

I have also reset and restarted Calibre many times. There just seems to be NO WAY to get rid of that UNKNOWN author!
Old 09-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #8
Superlucky
Fanatic

See edit to my previous post.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
See edit to my previous post.
Same results after changing and rebooting Calibre.

The Shadow.txt

Unknown/The Shadow/The Shadow - Unknown.txt

I do appreciate your effort though.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:33 PM   #10
Superlucky
Fanatic

Quote:
Same results after changing and rebooting Calibre.

The Shadow.txt

Unknown/The Shadow/The Shadow - Unknown.txt

I do appreciate your effort though.
My edit was not about rebooting, but about altering the "saving books" tab, not the "adding books" tab (which I said originally). Did you do that?
Old 09-19-2009, 10:35 PM   #11
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
My edit was not about rebooting, but about altering the "saving books" tab, not the "adding books" tab (which I said originally). Did you do that?
Yes. Under ADD/SAVE, I put the string in under the SAVING BOOKS tab. Then I rebooted Calibre.

No change.

But I see here that it only applies to the SAVE TO DISK button... Hmmm...
Old 09-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #12
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Text files may not work well through Calibre; since .txt files have no metadata on their own, they may always show up as filename, and Calibre may add an author name to the filename.

Try dragging & dropping the .txt file, named the way you want it, onto the device, and see if that works.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:02 PM   #13
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Text files may not work well through Calibre; since .txt files have no metadata on their own, they may always show up as filename, and Calibre may add an author name to the filename.

Try dragging & dropping the .txt file, named the way you want it, onto the device, and see if that works.
The problem there is batch conversion. So what I have to do is import TXT, convert TXT, save TXT to disk, then move file from disk to reader.

I wonder if others here also jump thruogh these kinds of hoops to read?
Old 09-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
The problem there is batch conversion. So what I have to do is import TXT, convert TXT, save TXT to disk, then move file from disk to reader.

I wonder if others here also jump thruogh these kinds of hoops to read?
I don't bother with the library programs for book management; I bounce between too many computers for it to be useful.

If you're converting the TXT to LRF (or ePub or whatever), the program is useful, otherwise, why not just drag it onto the Reader? It reads plain text without conversion.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote