Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-18-2015, 05:40 PM   #21556
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Zoo Station by David Downing and it was a good pre-WWII read. Next up American Sniper by Chris Kyle. Want to read the book before seeing the movie.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:51 AM   #21557
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
I bought The Golem and the Jinni (note the US spelling!) in January of 2014, but still haven't read it yet. I'm moving it up the TBR list based on your assessment.
And I started reading The Golem and the Jinni at lunchtime today. About 10% into it and enjoying the book very much. Thanks for all who recommended it.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:46 AM   #21558
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I read Girl of Nightmares (which is the second and final book for the Anna Dressed in Blood series), rushed reading it, because my niece has already beaten me around to it, and is feeding me with spoilers. In the end, I liked it even if it's a Young Adult fantasy book (horror-ish, but not as greatly gruesome as the first book). I would've liked if it had more scare factor, but it's still pretty creepy and the end is bittersweet. I'm adding it in my favorites shelf.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:16 AM   #21559
Lusitanic
Leader
Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, One Plus 5
Spoiler:

This dystopic history is absolutely great! And you can read it for free on wattpad
http://www.wattpad.com/story/1174851...=share_reading

Spoiler:

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-19-2015 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Put cover images in spoilers
Lusitanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:12 AM   #21560
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Yeah, I'm grandfather, and all, but they certainly didn't have much quality YA fare when I was a kid, and I am enjoying the heck out of it now.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #21561
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished, but again, I seem to be having problems getting motivated to read. I'm reading audio books OK, but getting bogged down with conventional books.

Next up, a short set in the Boundary universe of Ryk E. Spoor and Eric Flint. This is a free short work from the monthly Baen posting of a free fiction and non-fiction on their main website.
Well, that was a pleasure! Makes me want to buy the new Boundary book from Baen. Oh, I guess that was the point! But it's going to have to wait for a Kobo coupon or next month. No $$ in this month for it.

Next up, a Georgette Heyer Regency - Arabella. Should be reliable fun.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #21562
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
I'm about three-quarters of the way through Hannah Jayne's Under the Final Moon, which I really hope doesn't turn out to be the last book in the series. It's nice to have a heroine who pokes fun at the stereotyped book covers that her books end up getting anyway. (She frequently refers to her lack of an arsenal, unfitness for leather clothes, and other such UF/PR cover elements. Despite all that, the publisher keeps putting leather-clad UF women on the covers.)
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:11 PM   #21563
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Just finished Zoo Station by David Downing and it was a good pre-WWII read...
I've had that on my TBR for a while. Perhaps I should move it up. I'm a fan of Alan Furst's Night Soldier series; that sounds similar.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:20 PM   #21564
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Just finished Zoo Station by David Downing and it was a good pre-WWII read. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I've had that on my TBR for a while. Perhaps I should move it up.
This is also on my TBR. Not sure when I'll bump it up, but I'm looking forward to it.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:51 AM   #21565
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
I started and finished this book tonight

http://amazon.com/dp/B00RYIY9VM/

In Her Blood by G. V. Trent. The author is trad pub'ed but is branching out. It is a psychological thriller. Great read.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:55 AM   #21566
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just finished the sixth (last?) in a series, Under the Final Moon, and was disappointed by the lack of editing (from a traditional publisher!) as well as by the last two chapters. The ending was uncharacteristically slapdash, and the resolution mechanism wasn't explained well at all. Further, the narrating character was suspicious of a strange new character, but one of the major existing characters would logically have been able to verify his claims.

The previous five books worked pretty well, but this just fell flat at the very point it should have stood tall. I almost wonder if this was planned as a cliffhanger and had to be changed late in the process.

Next up is an anthology, Unidentified Funny Objects 3. Humorous SF/fantasy, with a few illustrations. I've enjoyed the first two and have no reason to expect less from the third.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:13 AM   #21567
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It really surprises me when there is are a few typographical or grammatical errors in books from traditional publishers. I'm more forgiving if it's in my indie ebooks, and brush them off as long as I get the meaning anyhow.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:33 AM   #21568
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin2412 View Post
It really surprises me when there is are a few typographical or grammatical errors in books from traditional publishers. I'm more forgiving if it's in my indie ebooks, and brush them off as long as I get the meaning anyhow.
Typos really irritate me in books, whether traditionally or independently published, but I'm kind of resigned to seeing them in indie books. Even worse is homophone misuse, like when someone "takes the reigns" or "pours over homework." (Unless you've got characters kidnapping monarchs or upending a pitcher over a textbook, those don't mean what you intend to say.)

The way I see it, an author is a construction worker and an architect. An architect designs a structure, just as a writer sets up a story. When it comes time to build it, words and grammar become the bricks and mortar, respectively. Fail on any of those three fronts, and that beautiful house collapses into a pile of worthless rubble.

Homophone abuse particularly bugs me because it tells me that the author isn't even trying. They can't be bothered to tell the words apart; do they even know what the differences are? That's like a mechanic not caring what kind of oil your car needs; would you pay that guy to rebuild an engine? I sure wouldn't! At least rein/reign and pour/pore are relatively uncommon terms; everyday words like your/you're and they're/their/there are simply inexcusable. If you can't keep those straight, you simply have no business writing for a living. (Likewise, I'll readily forgive mistakes on arcane tenses, but if your narrative shifts from past to present and back again within the same scene and without reason, put the keyboard down!)

One of the earliest and most valuable lessons I learned in school was back in the fourth grade, when a teacher told me that I didn't have to know everything, just where to find the information. That was longer ago than I care to admit, and she was talking about encyclopedias and dictionaries, but this is 2015. We have the Internet now, and lots of websites exist that will clarify just about any questions you have when it comes to language and grammar. If you don't know, do a search and find out. If you're not online at the moment, make a note to check it later. I have to do that all the time with lay and lie, because that's one of my own weak spots, but I do it - because it's important to Get It Right. (I had to look that up just last night, in fact; I needed it in the newest chapter.)

I'm a little more forgiving with typos, especially certain kinds. Hyphens, for instance - sometimes they get put in or taken out manually to make the print version come out right. I get that. It's still wrong, but it probably happened after the author was done with it; it's a formatting goof. Complex grammar gets a pass, too; I'm concerned with the basics. When something comes out of a traditional publishing company with significant, easily-found errors, I want to mark it up in red ink and send it to them with a note asking if they have an opening in Editorial.

And yes, if a book doesn't have DRM, I fix my copy. I might want to read it again someday. If it's an indie author, sometimes I'll contact them and offer to share what I've found. I mean, if I'm fixing my copy, why not offer the same fixes to them so they can update the master copies?
Old 01-20-2015, 10:24 AM   #21569
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
If it's bad, and particularly if it's a book I know I will want to read aagain, then I will go in and fix it. But it takes me so long to read it then, and sometimes it feel like work.

So... sometimes I cringe inwardly and read through. I did get to help an author out with proofing her book once, though-- the publisher failed to provide her with galleys before publishing the paperback, and so she got a handful of fans to go through and nitpick the hell out of the final product with her.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:28 AM   #21570
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
(I'm trying to read all my unread bought books from 2005 and 2006 this year - which is slightly over one per week. I'm a little behind, so I'd better catch up!)
I'm alternating between my oldest purchased unread ebooks from the now-closed Sony ebook store and my oldest purchased Kindle books (freebies and books bought for my son). However, my books only go back to 2009 (Sony) and 2011 (Amazon).

I just finished The Professor by Charlotte Bronte (bought as a Sony Classic, but I read the Feedbooks edition) and have started Reinventing Leona by Lynne Gentry.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote