Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Bought New DXG

I am thrilled about buying something sooo old!!! Got a new boxed (not refurbished) one from ebay for $224. Arrived in two days.

Always wanted one (only for books), but never made the leap due to price. Missed out on last year's offering at $199. Wasn't aware the DXG made another appearance.

Installed the jailbreak and screensaver hacks. Nice having the cover of last book opened showing when device is sleep. Yes, the firmware is outdated, but this thing is a pleasure to read on (dark font). Non-fiction books that are not plainly formatted, with tables, charts, and graphs are well displayed, and capture the feel of a printed book with the large screen. Even reading fiction is enjoyable for me, with less page turns. 150 ppi sounds appalling, but it works on the large screen. I use the 2nd smallest font size.

I am glad to trade the portability of my PW3 for the DXG, as I always have a bag with me. Seriously considering grabbing another one from this seller (there are 2 left). After experiencing this, I don't want to go back to a tablet for large screen reading. Seems this size e-ink screen has gone the way of the Dodo Bird.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #2
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Welcome to the club. I see there's a new interest in DX(G)... pleasant breeze seems to be coming.

You can install 3.4.2 (it's a hack so you need to be very careful)... and install contrast package, etc. Tweaks are really endless. And this thing is a beauty. Congrats on your decision to purchase one.

Although I need Right to Left (RTL) fonts very much, but I'm not fond of the v3.4.2 firmware (it's a bit buggy), so personally I'm not officially updating... v2.5.8 is quite sufficient for me.

Last edited by thatworkshop; 08-24-2015 at 01:49 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
Welcome to the club. I see there's a new interest in DX(G)... pleasant breeze seems to be coming.

You can install 3.4.2 (it's a hack so you need to be very careful)... and install contrast package, etc. Tweaks are really endless. And this thing is a beauty. Congrats on your decision to purchase one.

Although I need Right to Left (RTL) fonts very much, but I'm not fond of the v3.4.2 firmware (it's a bit buggy), so personally I'm not officially updating... v2.5.8 is quite sufficient for me.
Thank you.

I don't plan on updating.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant

Thanks to idoit (above), I decided to visit the developer sub-forum again. installed the contrast hack without having to update the firmware. The inverted screen (white text / black background) is really nice. Also having 5 contrast levels and the 3 bit depths (one which has no flashes) is awesome!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206917
Old 08-25-2015, 06:08 PM   #5
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Thanks to idoit (above), I decided to visit the developer sub-forum again. installed the contrast hack without having to update the firmware. The inverted screen (white text / black background) is really nice. Also having 5 contrast levels and the 3 bit depths (one which has no flashes) is awesome!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206917
Without KPV Kindle DX is not even half the PDF reader.

Much better pdf zooming options, gamma correction, night mode(inverted colors), pdf reflow(refows pdf image itself), directories/subdirectories for the files etc.

It takes just several seconds to get into KPV or back to Kindle' native pdf reader.

KPV also reads Djvu and epub files.

Takes a couple of minutes to install if we know what to do.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047

Last edited by markom; 08-25-2015 at 06:36 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2015, 07:10 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant

Hey, thanks for taking the time to respond. I don't use the DXG for PDFs. I installed the contrast hack for books and periodicals.

Took a look at that thread. It does look simple enough to install for those interested. Folks are always willing to share knowledge here.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #7
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
@markom: Absolutely... hawhill is a master in his own right too and KPV is still a gorgeous piece of art. I was talking to a contributor... In future, goodness willing, I'm planning to join and update it just like KOReader.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 02:33 PM   #8
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
Without KPV Kindle DX is not even half the PDF reader.

Much better pdf zooming options, gamma correction, night mode(inverted colors), pdf reflow(refows pdf image itself), directories/subdirectories for the files etc.
Thanks much for this info. I have Librerator (fork of KPV) installed on my DX, and PDF reflow consistently crashes the reader.

I searched the main KPV and Librerator threads, and found agreement that Librerator crashes on pdf reflow, and a Sept. 3, 2012 KPV post that KPV doesn't support PDF reflow. But a later Dec. 6, 2012 KPV post said that PDF reflow works: "I have just updated from the first version and the reflow is amazing."

Coincidentally, Dec. 6, 2012 was the date that the Librerator announcement was first posted here. It's possible that Librerator forked too soon.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:15 AM   #9
pmcnz
Enthusiast
pmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: PRS-650, Kindle DXG
I will endorse the enjoyment of the large DX screen as SCION says above.
Since I bought what seems to be a new one earlier this year when Amazon had a special sale, I have found the screen size well suited for my IT technical books (PDF and mobi formats) with diagrams and images
I use it on the train commute to work and reading in a sunny carriage with no glare, reflection or faded wording is delightful
pmcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:00 AM   #10
ab7vf
Enthusiast
ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: dxg and newfound Icarus 8
Fully agree ...Got one for the "discontinured" price ... Put Do**an on it and have just been enjoying the ability to read technical and engineering books with ease .. and diagrams

Jim
ab7vf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:31 AM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I almost got one of the $199 from Amazon BUT Discovered Amazon was selling them as is No warranty!! I would have got one if I at least had 30 days. It really surprised & disappointed me.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:40 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab7vf View Post
Fully agree ...Got one for the "discontinured" price ... Put Do**an on it and have just been enjoying the ability to read technical and engineering books with ease .. and diagrams

Jim
Personally I far prefer to use my iPad for that, primarily because technical PDFs tend to be rather large, and I couldn't store many on a DXG. I need to read a lot of academic books and PDFs for the part-time degree in Egyptology I'm doing, and it's convenient having them all stored on my iPad.

Of course, though, everyone's needs differ.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote