Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-29-2016, 07:31 AM   #16
mand
Zealot
mand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th gen; Kindle Keyboard; iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Home page, search function, search for:
;dm
The semi-colon is part of the command.

That will dump four message logs as documents onto the device.

Read them, or zip them up and attach to your next post and someone here will read them.

If reading them yourself, you will be looking for messages with 'index...' in them.
OK, one of the files contains nine hits on "index" and as expected, the code is beyond my knowledge so I'm attaching as you suggest.
Correction - can't get at them! See following post while I paste and post this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Go to the home screen and search for a nonsense string. On the search results page, go to the "Text in Books" tab and see if it says "XX books not yet indexed" (where "XX" is a number).
These four files were un-indexed, and are now indexed - is it just that indexing takes a while? or can it only happen with wifi on, or off (which doesn't seem likely)? There's a fifth file "wininfo_logs_"... I'm zipping and attaching that too but it looks empty.

A side question: when using Recent sort order, would not-yet-indexed files appear or be omitted?
mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:34 AM   #17
mand
Zealot

When I attach the kindle to the laptop: the orange light comes on, which indicates that the kindle knows it's attached, but it doesn't show the "I'm connected" screen and the laptop doesn't see it. Therefore I can't get at these files.

Yesterday it worked as it should, and I ejected in order to keep using it as a kindle while still charging from the laptop. Is there a way of un-ejecting it from its own menus, if you know what I mean?

And why would the laptop refuse to recognise it this morning?
Advert
Old 10-29-2016, 08:34 AM   #18
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Have you usbnet installed?
If yes toggle down usbnet mode
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:43 AM   #19
mand
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
Have you usbnet installed?
If yes toggle down usbnet mode
No. Must I?
Old 10-29-2016, 08:48 AM   #20
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mand View Post
No. Must I?
No, that was just the most frequent cause.

*) Check the cable.
There are two types of USB cables - ones that are "Power Only" and ones that pass power and data.
A "Power Only" cable (such as from some other external USB device) will act as you describe.

*) Check which version of USB port.
Use a USB-2 version, not a USB-3 version.
There was a multi-million chip mistake in USB-3 interface chips by the industries biggest supplier - making them not compatible with some USB-2 (like the Kindle) devices.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #21
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Check also if you hear a sound when you attach the kindle to the laptop
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:00 AM   #22
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh - this is a KT3 - new 'standard answer:'

*) Turn off Voice View if on.
The Kindle can not export the file system over the USB port while it is using the USB port for audio.
(It should be able to use VV over Bluetooth and export the file system at the same time, but I haven't tested that.)

O.T:
I forgot that last night myself, I wanted to read but too dark in room for un-lighted screen and I didn't want to turn on lights.

Sh..! - I could have just let the Kindle read the book to me!

Note: to KindleLazy people -
Need to get KindleLazy working on the KT3 -
People may want to listen over Bluetooth and turn pages by clicker while Kindle is located somewhere else in the room (I think that is what goodbadDeb had in mind).
Old 10-29-2016, 09:05 AM   #23
mand
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
Check also if you hear a sound when you attach the kindle to the laptop
No, no sound. I'd expect the acknowledgement-sound as when attaching a mouse or anything else. ETA: And yet the charging light did come on.

Quote:
Oh - this is a KT3 - new 'standard answer:'

*) Turn off Voice View if on.
The Kindle can not export the file system over the USB port while it is using the USB port for audio.

O.T:
I forgot that last night myself, I wanted to read but too dark in room for un-lighted screen and I didn't want to turn on lights.

Sh..! - I could have just let the Kindle read the book to me!
Voice View isn't on.

I hope you solved your unlit-reading dilemma to the satisfaction of both the kindle and yourself.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:21 AM   #24
knc1
Going Viral

Check my post above the one you answered -
Try different cable, make sure your using the same USB port as when it did work.

- - - -

We are going to be seeing a lot of this I think -
Bluetooth speakers come with the "power only" USB cables -
So if you plug in the Kindle with the speaker's USB cable, suddenly the Kindle is "broke".
Not really "broke" it only looks that way.

And Amazon did not think to add that caution to the page on the limitations of VV over Bluetooth.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:47 AM   #25
mand
Zealot

Quote:
Check my post above the one you answered -
Try different cable, make sure your using the same USB port as when it did work.
Sorry, missed your post #30 at the bottom of the page. It's also the obvious first step.

So...

The cable from my old K3 worked - which is younger than the K3, two or three years old. But straight after that, the new cable worked again. The port is USB3 and the laptop only has the one USB port. But everything was fine first time I tried, yesterday, and it's the new cable that came in the box.

Quote:
- - - -

We are going to be seeing a lot of this I think -
Bluetooth speakers come with the "power only" USB cables -
So if you plug in the Kindle with the speaker's USB cable, suddenly the Kindle is "broke".
Not really "broke" it only looks that way.

And Amazon did not think to add that caution to the page on the limitations of VV over Bluetooth.
I haven't enabled either VV or Bluetooth, at all. I may have started to enable Bluetooth when exploring the settings, but cancelled before it found anything. I don't use it in any other context.

Quote:
No, that was just the most frequent cause.

*) Check the cable.
There are two types of USB cables - ones that are "Power Only" and ones that pass power and data.
A "Power Only" cable (such as from some other external USB device) will act as you describe.

*) Check which version of USB port.
Use a USB-2 version, not a USB-3 version.
There was a multi-million chip mistake in USB-3 interface chips by the industries biggest supplier - making them not compatible with some USB-2 (like the Kindle) devices.
I have a multi-port adapter which I was using today, the first time the cable "failed", but it also failed when I plugged it in direct to the laptop's port. But then it didn't.

Right, just getting those files to attach...
Old 10-29-2016, 09:57 AM   #26
mand
Zealot

Here goes.
Attached Files
File Type: zip mand KT3 files.zip (348.5 KB, 148 views)
Old 10-29-2016, 09:57 AM   #27
knc1
Going Viral

OK -
A thing for you to remember - your laptop with the single USB-3 port also has one of the millions of flaky USB-3 interface chips.

There are millions of those devices out there in people's equipment.
The chip manufacturers are not trying to make just your life more difficult (my desktop has the same flaky USB-3 port behavior).

You might consider getting an external, USB-3 hub, it will probably have the corrected chip in it (hubs are a very high volume item, and a new one should have been built after the bad chips where recalled).
Old 10-29-2016, 10:19 AM   #28
mand
Zealot

Quote:
OK -
A thing for you to remember - your laptop with the single USB-3 port also has one of the millions of flaky USB-3 interface chips.

There are millions of those devices out there in people's equipment.
The chip manufacturers are not trying to make just your life more difficult (my desktop has the same flaky USB-3 port behavior).

You might consider getting an external, USB-3 hub, it will probably have the corrected chip in it (hubs are a very high volume item, and a new one should have been built after the bad chips where recalled).
Live and learn! Thanks for telling me that... I'll probably wait until the chip dies a natural death. It isn't a safety issue?

But how does an external USB hub connect? So far in my life I've only connected things to laptops by the USB ports. Except wifi things. And printer cables... ah, I suppose there do exist other kinds of port. D'oh.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:19 AM   #29
mand
Zealot

(It was a very cheap laptop. )
Old 10-29-2016, 10:31 AM   #30
knc1
Going Viral

It is not a safety hazard, just a P.I.T.A. to use.

It will work USB-3 to USB-3 just fine.
That is why I suggested getting a USB-3 hub, let the hub do the USB-3 to USB-2 conversion.

Tags
battery, hanging, hung, kindle 3, kt3 setup