Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #226
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I do have one and have this set $0. If you have WiFi they will not charge you for any downloading. So email away to your Fire but keep in mind it will show in Docs not Books anything you send that way. You also wont be able to sync.

On a real Kindle you have Personal Documents Cloud which is a great feature the Fire needs.
I figured the reason it didn't show up anymore on my account cause I only have WiFi Kindles so sending files would be free for me anyway.

Agreed, I wish they would extend the cloud to the Fire.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #227
kdoc
Enthusiast
kdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Jimad: thanks for the help in transferring free ebooks via guttenberg, etc. I find that at times the Paste symbol doesn't show up, and at other times it does. It's much easier, if you have the facilities, to attach to a computer and handle all of this that way!. Much much easier.

Kdoc
kdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #228
jswinden
Nameless Being

WTFire!!!! I turned off Keyboard Quick Fixes and the damn keyboard still insists on correcting my spelling. How do you turn that GD @#$% off? It takes me 5 times longer to correct the autocorrect than it would to just type in an unabused manner!
Old 11-30-2011, 12:22 AM   #229
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
WTFire!!!! I turned off Keyboard Quick Fixes and the damn keyboard still insists on correcting my spelling. How do you turn that GD @#$% off? It takes me 5 times longer to correct the autocorrect than it would to just type in an unabused manner!
Maybe you have to restart afterwards for it to take effect.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:46 AM   #230
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Maybe you have to restart afterwards for it to take effect.
I did, several times. In another thread I typed "I lucked out" and the stupid autocorrect changed it to "I plucked out." I'm not real sure what that means, but I'm fairly sure it is not what I did!
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 01:55 AM   #231
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I did, several times. In another thread I typed "I lucked out" and the stupid autocorrect changed it to "I plucked out." I'm not real sure what that means, but I'm fairly sure it is not what I did!
I typed what you did and it changed nothing. Could it be app specific?

If it auto corrects a word hit the delete key to go back one space and it will change back and when you space again it wont correct it.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-30-2011 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:17 AM   #232
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I typed what you did and it changed nothing. Could it be app specific?

If it auto corrects a word hit the delete key to go back one space and it will change back and when you space again it wont correct it.
I'm using Silk and typing in this forum. If I catch the typo no problem, but when I don't catch it until later it takes a while to correct.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:48 AM   #233
lear2003
htdtfbufuubfyipeeeeee
lear2003 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
help in the UK

[QUOTE=jswinden;1834323]How to Sideload Apps:
I recommend that you install the free ES File Explorer available through the Amazon App Store. You will need an app like it to install sideloaded *.apk files which are apps BTW.

how can i access apk files if i don't have access to the amazon app store to download explorer? is there any other way you are aware of, thanks.
lear2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:11 AM   #234
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lear2003 View Post

how can i access apk files if i don't have access to the amazon app store to download explorer? is there any other way you are aware of, thanks.
There sure is! See this thread for places to download apps from other markets.

Here's ES File Explorer

You can use Quick Office which comes preinstalled as your File Explorer to install your program. Open it and go to Browse, Then hit Internal Memory and you will see your Fire's file listings. Navigate to the folder your apk is in then long press on the apk file and choose open.

Last edited by Blossom; 12-01-2011 at 05:20 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:19 AM   #235
lear2003
htdtfbufuubfyipeeeeee
lear2003 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Quote:
There sure is! See this thread for places to download apps from other markets.

Here's ES File Explorer

You can use Quick Office which comes preinstalled as your File Explorer to install your program. Open it and go to Browse, Then hit Internal Memory and you will see your Fire's file listings. Navigate to the folder your apk is in then long press on the apk file and choose open.
there is no open option just select but it does not show up anywhere when selected, thank you for your help.
lear2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:00 AM   #236
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lear2003 View Post
there is no open option just select but it does not show up anywhere when selected, thank you for your help.
Tap lightly on it instead and it will install the apk for you.

The open menu is another app. I got it confused. I have too many apps installed.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #237
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Where can I get the apk file to load the android market?

Edit: I'm not planning on rooting the KF. If that is the only way, then I'm outta luck!

Last edited by robertc88; 12-01-2011 at 08:12 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:58 AM   #238
Xeddicus
Xeddicus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Rooting is the only way to get the market, so you're out of luck. Rooting is safer/easier than getting the market running, though.
Xeddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #239
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
3. Emailed titles sent to your account "kindle"@kindle.com where the part in quotes is whatever you named your kindle. 2 out of 10 titles I emailed to my kindle showed up in my personal documents, and those only when I went into the amazon web account management page and found them pending and, in addition to having set up the accepted sender email id, also approved them for whispersyncing down to the kindle. This is essentially a 3 stage process after you do it the first time (which is a 5 stage process because you have to pre-identify the email address you will be sending books from, as well as identify the kindle email address you will be sending books to). All in all, this process is less than desirable to me, and that is even not counting the fact that Amazon charges $0.10 per title you email to yourself using this method.
I use the @kindle.com address regularly to check out my books before I publish them on the KDP. By default the book (in the form of a double-zipped file of the html and images) goes to my e-ink Kindle, which is wi-fi. There is no charge. If I want to view it on the Fire, I go to Manage Your Kindle on Amazon and direct it there. I suppose I could make the Fire the default, but it seems more important to me to know how the book looks on an e-ink screen, since there are many more of them.
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #240
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Transferring bigger files to your Fire may best done using a USB cable. However, before you rush out and buy a USB cable, check your old phone chargers or even your newer one. Many of these chargers have a detachable USB cable that might possibly work with the Fire. The charger from my son's old LG enV3 phone (LG Model # STA-U12WD) is one example where the USB cable detaches from the charger and fits the Fire perfectly. Beside transferring data, the cable can also be used to charge the Fire when connected to a laptop. This is convenient for students like my son who usually carries both devices to school.

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-02-2011 at 11:53 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote